The West Bengal government offers the Bikash Bhavan scholarships. Students studying at higher secondary level in school education, polytechnic courses, graduate and postgraduate courses, can apply online for these scholarships. This scholarship is offered to students with high merit scores, and both offline and online modes of application are available to students. The WB government has collaborated with WB directorate of school education, WB directorate of technical education and many more departments to offer these scholarships to students.
In our current article, we discuss Bikash Bhavan scholarship to our readers. We explain the latest information about this scholarship with respect to the important dates, eligibility criteria, key dates, detailed application process, documents, selection process, rewards and benefits, renewal process, FAQs and contact details.
Bikash Bhavan Scholarship 2020 – Overview
|Provided by||West Bengal Government|
|Scholarship Name||Bikash Bhavan Scholarship|
|Application Mode||Online and Offline|
Bikash Bhavan Scholarship – Eligibility Criteria
All candidates must look into the following conditions before proceeding to the application procedure. All candidates who qualify in these conditions can move ahead to the next process. Candidates not found to be qualifying in these conditions shall lose their candidature if found applied with wrong credentials.
General eligibility conditions:
- Candidates must be permanent residents of West Bengal.
- Candidates must be pursuing any one of the following courses – higher secondary, polytechnic or diploma course, undergraduate or postgraduate courses, candidates pursuing fellowships, Mphil, PhD courses etc.
- Annual family income of candidate to be less than INR 2.5 lakhs.
Specific eligibility conditions:
Apart from the general eligibility conditions, candidates also need to fulfill certain criteria that are meant for the course they are pursuing. Here is the list:
|Course pursued by candidate currently||Eligibility criteria|
|Higher secondary education|
|Polytechnic degree or diploma course|
|Courses at undergraduate level|
|Courses at postgraduate level||Minimum education to be completed:|
|Women scholarships / Kanyashree scholarships|
|Research fellowships [NET – LS] and Mphil/ Non NET pursuant|
Bikash Bhavan Scholarship – Key Dates
All candidates are hereby requested to follow the norms with respect to the important dates laid down for Bikash Bhavan scholarships. Any delay in complying with these dates shall not be entertained, and requests for extension shall be invalidated.
|Scholarship event||Important Dates|
|Formal commencement of online application on website portal – For FRESH applications||Mid of September 2020|
|Last date to submit online applications – For FRESH applications||Mid of November 2020|
|Formal commencement of online application on website portal – For MINORITY applications||Mid of July 2020|
|Last date to submit online applications – For MINORITY applications||Mid of September 2020|
Bikash Bhavan Scholarship Application Process – How to Apply?
Bikash Bhavan scholarship offers both online and offline applications. Candidates must choose the mode of application and then follow the procedure accordingly.
Online system of application
- The first step in this process is ‘Registration’. Candidates need to visit the official portal – svmcm.wbhed.gov.in. As a new user, candidates need to perform the registration formalities. Click on the register button.
- Candidates need to complete the registration form so that they get the login ID and password.
- Log into the website with newly created credentials. Select the scholarship relevant to your particulars. Fill up the application form corresponding to it. Enter all details correctly.
- After entering all data, upload relevant documents. The size and format should be correctly ensured.
- Download institute verification form. Get attestation from the head of an educational institution. Scan and upload this document too.
- Submit the application form.
Offline system of application
- Visit the official website svmcm.wbhed.gov.in and download the application form.
- Manually enter all details.
- Take hard copy print outs of all required documents.
- Download the institute verification form and fill it up. Obtain attestation from the head of your educational institution.
- Along with the application form hard copy, submit all documents via POST to the following address:
Bikash Bhavan scholarship,
Bikash Bhavan, Kolkata,
West Bengal, India
Key Documents Required For Bikash Bhavan Scholarship
All candidates must submit relevant documents along with their application forms. Without uploading documents in relevant size and format, they will not be accepted.
List of documents for fresh applications:
- Marks card of the previous qualifying exam
- Madhyamik exam admit card [ or admit card of the qualifying exam undertaken]
- Income certificate
- An affidavit containing income criteria
- Bank passbook first page
- Aadhaar card
- Ration card OR Voter ID card
- Recent passport sized photo of the candidate
- Institute verification form.
List of documents for renewal applications:
Along with the above documents, the following also need to be presented:
- For undergraduate students – 1st semester and 2nd semester mark sheets [if renewing for 2nd year]. 3rd and 4th semester mark sheets [if renewing for 3rd year].
- For postgraduate students- 1st and 2nd semester mark sheets for second year renewal process.
Bikash Bhavan Scholarship Selection Process
Bikash Bhavan scholarship provides a high preference to the merit of the candidate. The following selection procedure shall be followed:
- 1st metric of selection includes the educational performance of the candidate, specifically his scores.
- 2nd metric of selection includes the financial standing of the candidate. Lesser the income strata, higher stands the chances of selection.
- A list is prepared by putting together both academic scores and income details. List shall be prepared in the order of merit. Higher scores shall be kept at first.
- Based on the available details, the final selection list of shortlisted candidates shall be prepared.
Bikash Bhavan Scholarship Rewards and Benefits
Candidates who get selected for Bikash Bhavan scholarship shall receive the following rewards and benefits. The scholarship amount shall be directly credited to the beneficiary account through a procedure of DBT.
The course wise rewards and benefits are enlisted below:
|Course pursued by the candidate||Rewards and benefits|
|MPhil course [Non-NET]||INR 5000 every month|
|PhD [Non-NET]||INR 8000 every month|
|Arts course – PG degree||INR 2000 every month|
|Science course – PG degree||INR 2000 every month|
|Commerce course – PG degree||INR 2500 every month|
|Professional courses recognized by UGC – PG degree||INR 2500 every month|
|Arts course – UG degree||INR 1000 every month|
|Science course – UG degree||INR 1500 every month|
|Commerce course – UG degree||INR 1000 every month|
|Diploma courses – UG degree||INR 1500 every month|
|Medical courses – UG degree||INR 5000 every month|
|Polytechnic courses – UG degree||INR 1500 every month|
|Engineering/ PG in engineering/ any professional courses that are AICTE approved – UG degree||INR 5000 every month|
|Professional courses recognized by UGC – UG degree.||INR 1500 every month|
Bikash Bhavan Scholarship Renewal Process
For the continuation of Bikash Bhavan scholarship, candidates have to renew their scholarship every year. The renewal procedure is dependent on a number of factors like merit scores of the candidate, attendance record, the income of a family, etc.
General conditions for renewal are:
- For a candidate moving to UG courses/diploma – min 60% score in higher secondary is mandatory.
- For a candidate moving to PG courses – min 50% score in UG course/ diploma is mandatory.
- All exams should be successfully cleared in the very first attempt without holding any backlog papers.
Process of renewal
- Visit the official scholarship portal –svmcm.wbhed.gov.in
- Click on the tab indicating “Application renewal”.
- Login with registered ID and password.
- Enter all details in the renewal application form and upload relevant documents.
- Submit the renewal application form.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the specification for recent passport size photo of the candidate?
The size of the photo should be between 10 to 50 KB only. Higher sizes shall not be accepted.
- To what class of students does the Bikash Bhavan scholarship cater to?
Candidate’s right from standard 11 till Doctoral studies can apply to Bikash Bhavan scholarships.
- Who is offering this scholarship, can other state students also apply for it?
The state government of West Bengal is offering the Bikash Bhavan scholarship. No, this scholarship is exclusively for students of West Bengal.
- What is the reward amount offered for polytechnic students under this scholarship?
INR 750 is the reward amount offered for polytechnic students.
- What is the reward amount offered to UG and PG students?
For UG courses, the reward amount offered is INR 750 to INR 1000. For PG courses, the reward amount offered is INR 1200 to INR 1400.
For any doubts or queries related to Bikash Bhavan scholarships, kindly contact:
Address: Bikash Bhavan scholarship, Bikash Bhavan, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Phone number: 18001037033
Official website: www.eservice.wb.gov.in