CAT 2021: The Common Admission Test (CAT) is conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) every year for admission to MBA, PGDM and other post graduate management courses. CAT is purely a computer-based online admission test. PG programs and fellow management programs offered by IIMs all around the country can be availed by writing the CAT test. B schools and management institutions all over the country consider CAT scores. CAT exam is conducted only once a year. This article gives detail information about CAT 2021 notification that includes exam date, application process, exam pattern, syllabus, eligibility criteria, result and more.
CAT 2021 Exam Date
The official dates for CAT 2021 have been notified already. Candidates can check the important dates here:
|Release of official notification||July 04, 2021|
|CAT 2021 Registration||1st week of August 2021|
|Deadline for application submission||3rd week of September 2021|
|Application correction window||September 2021|
|Mock Test||October 2021|
|Availability of admit card||October 2021|
|CAT 2021 Exam Date||November 2021|
|Release of Answer Keys||December 2021|
|Objection submission window||December 2021|
|Result announcement||January 2022|
CAT 2021 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates should apply to CAT after going through these eligibility conditions:
- A candidate should hold a bachelor’s degree in any stream with minimum 50% or equivalent CGPS, from a recognised university.
- Candidates who have secured professional degrees (CA/CS/ICWA) with minimum 50% marks are also eligible.
- Candidates who are writing their final year exams are also eligible to apply.
- There is no age bar to apply for the CAT. Candidates can make any number of attempts; there is no limit on these criteria as well.
- For SC/ST/PWD candidates, the minimum requirement is 45% in graduation.
CAT 2021 Application Form
Instructions for fulfilling the CAT application form are explained below:
- Candidates can apply ‘ONLINE’ for CAT exam.
- The online registration process will commence from 1st week of August 2021
- The first step is registration, where candidates have to create their own User ID and password.
- Candidates need to furnish valid E-mail ID and mobile number.
- Login to the form and fill up the application form correctly.
- Upload requisite documents of photographs and signature and pay the application fee.
- Review and submit the application form. Submit the form.
One-time payment fee for CAT exam should be made to complete the application process. Registration fee is non refundable. Amount processing fee is also applicable. Online payment can be made through credit cards/ debit cards/ UPI or internet banking facilities. Fee is INR 1000 for SC/ST and PwD candidates. For general merit and other unreserved classes, the cost is INR 2000.
CAT Application Correction
Candidates can make changes to the uploaded images in their applications. Edit access shall be provided only for select fields. Candidates can login and access their submitted forms on respective dashboards. Here, they can upload the correct image and make corrections.
CAT 2021 Admit Card
Candidates need to enter correct login details to download their admit card. Candidates need to check details provided in the admit card like name, address, registration number, exam venue and timings. For any discrepancies, CAT officials should be immediately contacted. For the exam hall, candidates need to carry admit card along with an ID proof for verification.
CAT 2021 Exam Pattern
- CAT exam is conducted in the online mode.
- Paper will be set for two hours.
- Questions would be both objective and subjective types.
- A correct answer fetches three marks. For every wrong answer in the objective types, one mark would be deducted—no negative marking in the subjective part.
The break-up of different sections in the exam paper is provided below:
|Section||No. of MCQ types||No. of Non-MCQ types||Exam Duration||Total Marks|
|Section I – Verbal Ability and reading comprehension||24||10||1 hour||102|
|Section II – Data Interpretation and logical reasoning||24||8||1 hour||96|
|Section III – Quantitative Ability||27||7||1 hour||102|
CAT Syllabus 2021
The three significant sections of CAT exam are verbal ability and reading comprehension, data interpretation and logical reasoning and last section on quantitative ability. Let us find out the important topics under each section here:
Section I – Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- Vocabulary based questions
- Sentence correction
- Jumbled paragraphs
- Inference judgements
- Verbal reasoning
- Reading comprehension
- Summary based questions
Section II – Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
- Venn diagrams
- Cubes and clocks
- Cylinders and shapes
- Blood relations
- Bar graphs
- Line and pie charts
- Number series
- Binary logic
- Connectives and sequence based questions.
Section III – Quantitative Abilities
- Number systems
- HCF and LCM
- Speed, time and distance questions
- Time and work
- Ratio and proportion
- Co-ordinate geometry
- Surds, inequalities
- Set theory
- Profit and loss
- Simple and compound interest
- Complex numbers
- Quadratic equations
- Probability, permutation and combination
CAT 2021 Preparation Tips
Candidates should make use of these useful tips to come out in flying colours in CAT 2021:
- Understand and comprehend well with the CAT exam pattern and syllabus.
- Pick and choose the right study material and online resources for optimum preparation.
- Attempt mock tests and previous year question papers without fail.
- Study in groups it will help you clear doubts at ease.
- Create a well-framed strategy for studies and stick to it.
- Begin preparation in advance and perform the good revision.
- Attend coaching classes if necessary.
CAT 2021 Answer Key
CAT 2021 online answer keys can be expected within a week after the exam. Candidates can refer to answer keys by entering their CAT ID and password in the login section. Candidates can raise objections for the declared answer keys. INR 1200 per question shall be the charges for challenging an answer. Final answer key shall be released after solving the challenges posed by candidates.
CAT 2021 Result
CAT result can be expected online by January 2022. CAT scorecards can be downloaded from the website after the result announcement. Till December 2022, candidates can use the scores to seek admission into one of the participating institutions. CAT scores contain a detailed analysis of a candidate’s performance, including scaled scores and percentile obtained. Scorecard hard copy is mandatory during the admission process.
CAT 2021 Normalization Procedure
CAT uses normalization procedure on candidate’s scores. This is similar to the formula used in GATE exam. This ensures equity in the candidate’s performance in both sections. Scores are generally scaled for each section. The normalized score, along with percentiles, is provided during result declaration.
CAT 2021 Cut Off
Cut off marks is calculated in terms of percentile for institutions offering admissions on the basis of CAT scores. CAT cut off range is listed category-wise. The last year’s cut off marks has been tabulated below for reference:
CAT 2021 Admission Procedure
After the CAT scores are released, each IIM conducts its own admission process. There is absolutely no centralised counselling or admission process undertaken here. After CAT 2021 results are declared, each IIM conducts selection of candidates based on CAT scores, written tests, and group discussion rounds followed by personal interview. Each IIM indicates its own cut off range individually for admissions. IIMs send out call letters to candidates based on their scores. Candidates have to report to the respective IIM as per details provided in their email ID.