What is the CGGE Exam?
Under the supervision of the Union Public Service Commission or UPSC, a Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist Examination or CGFE has been conducting for last many years to recruit and select the officers of the post of Geologist, Geophysicist and Junior Hydro-geologist (Scientist ‘B’), Chemist Group ‘A’ in GSI and Group ‘A’ for the Central Ground Water Board.
The examination of CGGE will be conducted as per the norms and conditions of the UPSC. Moreover, the candidates competing for selection to the particular posts of Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist Examination will be needed to take participate in all the subjects mentioned against the respective category.
The interested candidates can apply through the following links. Besides it, they will be able to get, the more details required to be known by all candidates going to apply for CGGE exam such as about the application form, admit card, syllabus, eligibility criteria, etc.
Important dates to attempt CGGE 2019 Exam
As per UPSE, the different civil service exam has different dates. For the CGGE exam, it will take place from June 28, 2019, to June 30, 2019.
The basic intention of this exam is to recruit the officers of the post of Geophysicist and Chemist Group ‘A’ in GSI and Junior Hydro-geologist (Scientist ‘B’), Geologist, Group ‘A’ for the Central Ground Water Board.
Moreover, the examination will be held as per the rules and regulations published by the Ministry of Home Affairs in the Gazette of India. To get more information about this civil service exam, you have to keep reading this article
As per Nationality
A candidate must be either
- a Citizen of India, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- a subject of Nepal
- a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before January 1, 1962, with the motive of permanently residing in India or
- a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, and Ethiopia or from Vietnam, Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African Countries of Kenya, with the motive of permanently residing in India.
As per Educational Qualification
1. For Geological Gr ‘A’ in Geological Survey of India
For this, the candidates should have received a Master’s degree in Geological Science or Geology or Applied Geology or Geo-Exploration or Mineral Exploration or Engineering Geology or Earth Science and Resource Management or Marine Geology or Oceanography and Geochemistry or Geological Technology or Coastal Area Studies or Petroleum Geosciences or Petroleum Exploration or Geophysical Technology from a recognised university.
2. For Chemists Group ‘A‘: in Geological Survey of India
For this, candidates should hold M.Sc. in Chemistry or Applied Chemistry or Analytical Chemistry from a recognised university in India or outside
3. For Junior Hydrogeologists (Scientist B), Group ‘A’ in Central Ground Water Board
For this, candidates should have a Master’s degree in Geology or Applied Geology or Marine Geology from a recognised university in India or outside.
4. For Geophysicists Gr ‘A’ in Geological Survey of India
For this, the candidates should have received an M.Sc. in Physics or Applied Physics or M.Sc. (Geophysics) M.Sc (Applied Geophysics) or M.Sc. (Marine Geophysics) Or M.Sc. (Tech.) (Applied Geophysics), or Integrated M.Sc. (Exploration Geophysics) or from a recognised university.
Age Limit for this Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist Examination or CGFE Exam
Before applying for CGFE exam 2019, the candidates should check the age limit prescribed by the UPSC
For Geologist and Geophysicist and Chemist (Group ‘A’) in the Geological Survey of India
For these candidates, the age should not be above than 21 years and must not have attained the age of 32 years as on January 1, 2018. If so, they will not be eligible to attempt the CGFE exam 2019.
For Jr. Hydrogeologist (Scientist B) (Group A) in Central Ground Water Board, Ministry of Water Resources
The age limit prescribed to the candidates coming into the above category is 21 years and must not have attained at the age of 35 years as on January 1, 2018.
Moreover, in some cases, there will be age relaxation for the candidates coming in the following category:
- For OBC (Other backward classes) category, it will 3 years
- FOR SC/ST (Scheduled Caste/Scheduled tribal) category, it will be 5 years, and
- For deaf-mute, blind and orthopedically disabled category applicants, it will 10 years.
Admit Card for Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist 2019 exam
It should be noted that to attempt CGGE 2019, you should have an admit card. The mode of obtaining an admit card will be online only. Moreover, the eligible candidates shall be issued an e-Admission Certificate 3 week before the commencement of the Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist examination.
No applicant will be allowed to get his/her to admit card for this civil service by post. Furthermore, the e-Admission Certificate will be made available in the UPSC website [www.upsc.gov.in]. It is the official website, where the students can get the valid information only.
Application Forms and Procedure for CGGE 2019
To attempt CGGE 2019, the candidates are supposed to fill up the application form in the prescribed manner. For this, they can take the help of the following links. Moreover, only eligible candidates are admitted after an interview conducted by the UPSC only to those having qualified the written examination.
The interested candidates are considered to apply online by using the official website of UPSC, i.e.www.upsconline.nic.in, In brief, only online applications are considered valid for some years. No written application will consider in the further process.
Verification of eligibility conditions with reference to original documents is taken up only after the candidate has qualified for Interview/Personality Test.
The online application form for CGGE 2019 will contain two parts. Therefore, the candidates are advised to complete the form as per the instructions are given by the UPSC, else it will not consider valid.
Moreover, before commencing to filling up online application, an applicant must have his/her photograph and signature duly scanned in the .jpg format. It should not exceed 40 KB and must not be less than 3 KB each in size for the photograph. For signature, it should be 1 KB.
Exam Pattern for CGGE Exam
The UPSC has announced that the exam pattern that will appear to select the officers for the different posts. The fact is that the Combined Geo-Scientist Examination 2020 will be conducted in three stages and they are:
- Preliminary Examination
- Main Examination
- Personality Test
The Preliminary examination will be conducted to screen the candidates for taking the Main examination. It will be a Computer Based Examination. It will consist of objective type questions that will have two papers. Moreover, the marks obtained in this examination will be counted to decide the final outcome.
Syllabus for CGGE
The syllabus required to prepare this civil service will consist of three parts for Prelims, Main examination, and an interview. The students can take the help of the following link to download the entire list of the syllabus.
Roles and Responsibilities of CGGE officers
- Geoscientists frequently supervise the dealing of technicians and liaison work with other scientists, both in the field and within the lab
- Their important aims are to devise and conduct the sphere studies, in which they go to places to accumulate samples and conduct surveys
- Evaluate aerial photographs, unique information of geologic formations located in the course of drilling, rock samples, and different facts assets to find useful resource deposits and estimate their size
- Make geologic maps and charts
- Arrange and finalising written scientific reports
- Review reports and studies which are achieved via other scientists
- Geologists observe the materials, approaches, and history of the Earth. They will investigate how the rocks have been formed and what has passed off to them on the grounds that their formation. There are sub-companies of geologists as well, which includes stratigraphers, who examine the stratified rock, and mineralogists, who study the structure and composition of minerals
Hence, it has been declared that to grab CGGE post, the candidates have to work hard, else they will unable to achieve the best ranks. Make sure to remember that hard work always gives a high result.
The candidates are requested to get the help of the above article to get know about the process to attempt the CGGE. All the information provided above is accurate and relevant.
The interested candidate can take its help to crack this civil service exam. Moreover, if they will find any need, they can ask in the comment box mentioned below.
Good luck to all candidates going to attempt Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist or CGGE 2019. Hopefully, you will find everything you have expected.