Essay on Child Rights in 500 Words
Child rights are the sub-category of human rights catering, especially to the children in terms of their health, education, recreation, family, etc. It also highlights their development and age-appropriate needs that change a passage of time.
Three general principles foster all children’s rights,
Non-discrimination- under this, every child is treated equally and has a right to strengthen their potential at all times. For instance, every child will gain access to education irrespective of its gender, nationality, caste, disability or another status.
Opinion of the child- the child wants to be heard and understood; that’s why the voice of the children is pivotal in their overall development. For example, the parents or the elders of the house should take into consideration their children’s needs before making decisions that will further cause damage.
The right to inclusive education- A child with a disability should receive equal access to training and development without being neglected.
Further Elaboration of Children’s Rights
United Nation Convention has listed the below rights for the children who come under the age of 18. These rights embody the freedom of children, favourable family environment, leisure, education, health care and cultural activities.
Right to Survival
- Right to live with respect.
- Right to be born.
- Right to have access to basic food, clothing and shelter.
Right to Protection
- Right to be protected from violence.
- Right to be protected from drugs.
- Right to be protected from exploitation.
- Right to be protected from abandon.
Right to Participation
- Right to freedom of voice.
- Right to freedom of expression.
- Right to freedom to form an association.
- Right to information.
Right to Development
- Right to learn and explore.
- Right to rest and play.
- Right to seek education.
- Right to overall development-emotional, physical and psychological.
Significance of Children’s Rights
Children’s are not a commodity or an item to be owned by the parents or the society, but an individual who possesses equal status as a member of the human race.
They have their likes and dislikes, which assists them to harness their energy for future growth. Parents can love, care and nurture children through guidance and advice gradually.
They need to be thrust towards independence continuously. The sense of accountability needs to be developed by providing necessary tasks so that they realize their value and voice. The course of their progress determines the future of the children and the country as a whole.
The devastating changes like climate change, globalisation, the disintegration of the family, mass migration, etc. affects children to a massive level crippling their identity and social welfare.
In situations like armed conflict and other national emergencies, the conditions worsen. Children are vulnerable and susceptible to health risks. The repercussions of disease, malnutrition and poverty endanger their future potential.
They fall prey to sordid living conditions, poor health-care, lack of safe water and housing and environmental damage. Because of all these reasons, children are deprived of the proper home as they are left on the streets.
Not only the government but also the citizens of the nation should take charge of enhancing their requirements and taking an initiative to bring change. It is paramount to show respect and appreciation towards children as it helps them to develop healthy mentally. By doing so, their personality is not disabled, and they feel part of society.
10 Lines on Child Rights Essay
- The declaration of Child’s Right was established in the year 1924.
- The rights were formulated by saving the children founder, Eglantyne Jebb.
- The most important rights are- survival, developmental, protection and participation rights.
- It is an extension of human rights, especially for children below 18 years of age.
- These rights emphasize on the age-appropriate needs.
- The violation of the rights includes violence, poverty, and discrimination.
- The United Nation Convention has further elaborated the rights for better understanding and knowledge.
- Through these rights, the government is encouraging people to contribute through donations, adoption and sponsorship.
- Also, these rights stress on having their opinion and say in every decision taken for their betterment.
- The government, through its efforts, is urging people to be vigilant around what is happening and report if there is any violation regarding the rights of the children.
- Many NGO’s and child saving foundations have come ahead to protect and safeguard every child’s right.