Essay on Christmas in English
Christmas is a festival, well-famous and celebrated blissfully not only in India but internationally as well. It is celebrated on 25th December every year. The meaning of Christmas means “Feast day of Christ.” It is celebrated to mark the birth ceremony of Jesus Christ. Christians celebrate Christmas.
In other religions, people decorated their homes well with a Christmas tree. Also, Santa Clause is called on this day to make the children delightful. The fact, in other Christian countries, Christmas is celebrated on the same day while celebrations may differ.
When is Christmas Celebrated Worldwide?
In some countries, Christmas is celebrated on different dates
In most states, Christmas is celebrated on 25th December, while Orthodox Christians celebrate it on 7th January every year as per the Gregorian calendar. Moreover, on 6th January, Armenian Church celebrates Christmas.
Who celebrates Christmas Day?
Christians celebrate Christmas. However, non-Christians also celebrate this festival. Non-Christians celebrate this festival by decorating a Christmas tree and distributing gifts to kids while Christians have to go to churches midnight.
History Behind Christmas
Christmas is a religious and prominent festival of Christians. It is a celebration to signify the birth of Jesus. The first time this festival was celebrated backs to 336 AD in Rome. At that time, Constantine was the Roman Emperor.
As per the Bible, Mary was the mother of Jesus. Before giving him birth, she known that she would have blessed with a special son by an angel named Gabriel sent by God. Even an angel came in the dream of Joseph (to whom Mary was married) that Mary would have blessed with a unique child. Both angels decided the same name as that specials son, i.e., Jesus.
The angels were also told that their son would be a saviour, and he would save a lot of people from sins. It is written in the Bible that both Mary and Joseph travelled to Bethlehem, where they blessed with a son, Jesus. When Jesus grew up, he started teaching the people about God and also sending a message of God to make their minds positive and strong. Thus, to honor the birth of Jesus, this festival is celebrated.
Christmas Eve means the evening or day before Christmas day. So, the celebration of Christmas starts on 24th December as a partial or full holiday.
- Christmas Eve is also famous as Paramony, which means “preparation” in the Byzantine Rite.
- Italians celebrate this eve with “Feast of the seven fishes” as the traditional Catholic way.
- Christmas Eve was given a name called Nittel Nacht during the 17th century.
- In Western society, both Christmas Day and Christmas Eve are deemed as one of the most significant cultural celebrations.
- On Christmas Eve, Anglicans and Roman Catholics perform Midnight Mass in churches.
- Devotees and people exchange gifts on Christmas Eve day and also décor a Christmas tree in the home.
- In some countries, special meals are prepared like Kūčios in Lithuania, Wigilia in Poland, and Reveillon in French-speaking regions.
Significance of Christmas
- On this day, families and friends get together to share their affection, appreciation, and gratitude for each other.
- The celebration of the birthday of Jesus Christ inspires many people for a new start of relations and so many other things in their lives.
- Christmas provides a comfortable time to get out of so many tensions and enjoy the celebration. So it is a way of getting peace and relaxation.
- This day makes the family members and friends sit together after a long time to make their minds relax and peace.
- Children expect gifts on that day.
What does Christmas Festival Symbolise?
- To commemorating the birthday of Jesus, Christmas is celebrated annually worldwide.
- On this day, families gather and exhibit affection and gratitude, make others glad, share good memories, and remind the birth of Jesus Christ. On this day, people reduce their disappointment, stress, loneliness, hopelessness, and broken promises.
- Some people celebrate this festival with a Christmas cake, Christmas tree, Christmas Carols, and Santa Clause.
- On this day, people wear red and green colour clothing to mark the death, birth, and resurrection of Jesus, who is the symbol of peace, light, hope, and affection.
The fact, the sacrifice made by Jesus Christ makes the lives of their devotees full of zeal, peace, and hope.
Christmas Day Celebration
At Christmas, there is a public holiday, so people get a break to celebrate this festival blissfully. A lot of preparations are done on this day. Rehearsals start on the eve of Christmas. People buy foods, gifts, and decorations to make this day special. Even people buy new cloth to wear on this day.
Among other preparations, the common one is decorating the Christmas tree with lighting, stars, and other accessories. Before it starts decoration, people make their homes clean thoroughly. Moreover, vibrant colours present are placed under the Christmas tree that is not allowed to open until Christmas day. Besides, the churches are also decorated with a thorough cleaning. On this day, songs, skits, and other events are performed to make this event super-special.
Christians spend a lot of money to make this day unique and indelible. Family members living in faraway places come back to their houses to celebrate this event together. All exchange gifts and taste buds are refreshed with turkey meal.
Christmas – A Special Day for Kids
Among others, kids love this day a lot. They indulge in different activities to make this day highly enjoyable and delightful. They play different games, make vibrant cards by using their skills, singing Christmas songs (jingle bell jingle bell jingle all the way), listening and telling Christmas stories, and doing parties.
The most popular games played by kids are Candy cane hunt game, Stocking guessing game, Snowblower game, Christmas musical chair game, and Stack the gifts game. Moreover, the famous songs are sung by kids on Christmas are Frosty The Snowman, I’m A Little Star, We Wish You A Merry Christmas, and The Lights on The Christmas Tree.
Besides, the popular stories children perform and listen on Christmas are How The Grinch Stole Christmas, Twas the night before Christmas, Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, The Gift of the Magi, and The Fire Tree.
Also, children love Santa Clause as they get gifts from him in the early morning of Christmas. They even keep milk and cookies next to their bed for the Santa Clause. Also, they keep a carrot for the reindeer of the Santa clause. Jingle Bells is a familiar poem that is sung to celebrate the coming of Santa clause to distribute gifts to children.
Christmas is a festival that is enthusiastically celebrated by people worldwide despite it having a Christian religion. This festival unites the people with each other by eliminating all the sorrows and negativity.