Cleanliness Essay in 500 Words
Cleanliness is a state of purity, clarity, and precision –Suze Orman
The state of being clean from dirt and germs is referred to as cleanliness. And it also includes the act of converting this into a habit of ours. It is one of the best qualities we can possess, and it demands our commitment.
Cleanliness has its importance in various aspects (physical, mental, spiritual, and environmental) of our lives. Likewise, its definition varies depending on the matter of discussion.
Cleanliness has often been recognized as an indicator of progress. Ancient civilizations are a good example of this. It tells a lot about someone’s character.
When a person is surrounded by filthiness, he becomes lazy and indiscipline. Moreover, he attracts all kinds of diseases. Being clean, on the other hand, helps us maintain a sound mind and a healthy body.
Anbuselvi Manoharan says,” Cleanliness must come from the heart! Not your words! Only then it reflects on your actions!” This is quite true as it cannot be forced. However, we can always encourage people to incorporate this as a habit.
Children must be taught about the benefits of cleanliness from an early age. Awareness must be created that we must never compromise with cleanliness. By doing this, we will ensure the well-being of our society.
Different Types of Cleanliness
Cleanliness can be of two major kinds:
Physical Cleanliness: This type of cleanliness refers to the elimination of impurities from the body, food, clothes or even the outside environment. Household space must be kept tidy, especially our bedrooms, bathrooms, living rooms, and our kitchens. These are the places where we spend most of our time.
Spiritual Cleanliness: This mostly refers to the purity in our religious faith and belief. It is focused on the eradication of moral contamination. In Christianity, cleanliness is a way of symbolizing forgiveness. Here a strong emphasis is laid on hygiene and the doctrines of the Bible. Islam preaches that society is at peace if our hearts are pure and free from negative feelings (like jealousy). Hinduism believes that cleanliness is a holy trait and all individuals must practice it.
Importance of Cleanliness
Cleanliness is vital for us. Some of the key points that explain its importance are given below:
- If you stay clean, you have reduced chances of getting infected by a virus or bacteria. This means you are less likely to fall ill. Cleanliness ensures our physical fitness and elongates our life.
- It also increases the endurance power of our bodies—a person who follows hygienic routine recovers from sickness at a faster rate.
- It is important for our mental health as well. A cleaner environment brings positivity in our mind. Our concentration and thinking ability improves over time.
- The more the pollution, the more the risk of contamination of the space we live in. Our environment is safe when it is clean.
- Cleanliness ensures the aesthetic beauty of a place. This attracts more tourists which eventually benefits a nation’s economy.
- It directly affects the productivity of a country. A clean nation develops faster. This is because there are fewer people who fall sick by following unhygienic routines.
- Dirt and rust hamper an object’s life span. Keeping them clean protects them and makes them durable for a longer period.
- Cleanliness empowers the brand name. Companies use this as their marketing strategy (a good brand name brings more customers). We live in a competitive world where cleanliness becomes a top priority. This holds good, especially for the food industry.
- It improves our social interactions and boosts our confidence. Clean people are often represented as pleasant and admirable figures of society.
Way to maintain Cleanliness
Maintaining cleanliness is easier than you can think of. Personal hygiene is a big part of staying clean. We must daily take a bath.
Every person should brush and floss their teeth at least twice daily because oral hygiene is important as well. Cleaning our dirty clothes must never be avoided. Your nails should be trimmed every other week. Long nails collect dirt and germs which harms our body.
We must drink clean water and eat healthy food. Drinking water from impure sources can risk water-borne diseases. Junk food is not good for us. It can cause problems like obesity, diabetes, increased blood pressure, etc. Cleaning our washrooms is important too. While cleaning the toilets, use phenyl, acids and other disinfectants.
Throwing the garbage outside your home on the streets is a bad habit. Littering makes your surrounding filthy and smelly. Always throw the waste in the dustbin. Dustbins must be emptied regularly. This place is filled with all kinds of disease-causing germs. Always close the lid and keep the dustbin away from home.
Public places (like buildings, bridges, parks, roads, beaches, etc.) must be kept clean. As a citizen, it is our responsibility to make sure we keep our community clean. The same must be applied to our home and workplaces. One must also clean the office. Regular dusting will prevent allergies and other respiratory issues.
Pollution has made our environment toxic. On top of that, deforestation is making things worse. We need greenery if we want a clean, healthy ecosystem, planting more and more trees in our surroundings will establish that. Apart from that, we know water is crucial to us.
We must stop its contamination and use it efficiently. The use of recycled and reused products is advantageous and keeps our environment cleaner.
People must be made aware of the need for sanitation. Campaigns involving all the society members must be arranged. When more and more people begin to realize this, they will be mindful of their actions.
Strict laws must be implemented from the government’s end. A combined effort of all the individuals living in society will bring change. Together, we can contribute towards maintaining a healthy surrounding.
The government of India has initiated drives like Swachh Bharat Abhiyan to educate people about cleanliness and its benefits. Cleanliness certainly adds more value to our lives. Its cultural and social impacts are quite undeniable.
Cleanliness is part and parcel of our lives. If we choose to live by it, we will grow as individuals. And our earth will be much cleaner and greener.