Complaint Letter: A complaint letter is written with the intention of bringing to authorities’ notice any wrongdoing, deception, theft, offense, grievance, or dissatisfaction over poor rendition of goods and services. In general matters, we see roads laden with potholes, hospitals not providing proper medical attention to their patients, officials accepting bribes, and many other loopholes in our system. It becomes the right of every citizen to stand against these malpractices by writing about them in a complaint letter and bringing these issues to the fore in front of concerned departments. This article explains how to write a complaint letter with samples and examples.
Format of Complaint Letter
Complaint letters written to authorities or anybody in general citing disputes, dissatisfaction over products/ services should be prepared in a standard format. Below we have provided a complaint letter format in English.
Complaint Letter Format
Sender’s Name and Address
Receiver’s Name and Address
Subject Line: [Mention the complaint reason here]
Body of the Letter:
How To Write A Complaint Letter?
Use these tips and format to write a complaint letter.
- Be polite in your approach. You may have faced a very big disheartening problem that created losses on your end, yet you have to state your issues with a good resolution in the letter.
- The introduction of the person writing the letter is essential.
- The date of writing the letter, together with the recipient’s details, should be mentioned.
- The subject line should be boldly stated.
- Greet the concerned authority with due respect, and don’t let your problems reflect on them.
- Mention your problem with facts and data in the 1st paragraph of the letter body. Use simple language such that the recipient understands your complaint.
- Describe your complaint and suggest a probable solution that can be worked upon towards resolving your matters in the 2nd paragraph.
- Supplement your letter with any additional information related to the central issue and conclude with proper care in the 3rd paragraph.
- Be thankful to the person reading and attending to your complaints.
- Proofread your letter such that they don’t contain any grammatical or obvious errors.
- Be nice with your presentation and clear with your expressions.
Samples of Complaint Letter
Complaint letter samples vary according to the type of dispute, disagreement, or poor services the person in charge offers. Check below complaint letter examples.
Complaint Letter for Poor Service
Complaint Letter to Management
In an office environment, there are different departments, each with its specific expertise. To bring any matters to the fore or seek a solution to the problem, the management should be involved.
Complaint Letter to Employer about Salary
Complaint Letter for Receiving Damaged Goods
FAQ’s on Complaint Letter Format
1. What is a complaint letter?
Answer: A letter written to complain against the poor quality of goods or services to authorities is usually the subject matter of complaint letters.
2. What is the purpose of a complaint letter?
Answer: A complaint letter is normally written with the intention of bringing to authorities’ notice any wrongdoing, deception, theft, offense, grievance, or dissatisfaction over poor rendition of goods and services.
3. What are the attachments to be made along with complaint letters?
Answer: Usually, complaint letters are attached with a copy of the documents that support the complainant’s claims of wrongdoing.