In today’s age, the most dangerous and critical problem for the human race is pollution which affects our environment. Climate change, global warming, acid rain, air pollution, urban sprawl, waste disposal, ozone layer depletion, water pollution, and many more issues are affecting our life and future.
It’s an irony that increased human activities are one of the reasons behind the present environmental situation. We have only one plant to live in and its present situation demands conservation of the environment.
The meaning of conservation of the environment is using natural resources in a more responsible way. Conservation of environment simply indicates the sustainable use and appropriate management of natural resources which include all the natural things like wildlife, water, air, and earth deposits. It’s a different fact that we all love to use environmental resources but forget to use them in a responsible way.
The present situation demands mature conservation of the environment. We all have seen the smog situation in Delhi NCR during winter. Out of the 10 most populated cities in the world, 7 are Indian cities. It’s an alarming situation and we need to do something for our environment. It’s not only the water and other natural resources need responsible conservation but many species that were formerly common to decline to near extinction are also need conservation.
Gifford Pinchot, (1865 to 1946) was a leader in the conservation movement. When the United Nation expended and it needed more land for its civilians’ use then Gifford Pinchot raised questions on the method used in transforming the land. At that time all the trees were cut and it affected slowly but hugely to the environment.
As we know, there are two types of natural resources; renewable and non-renewable natural resources. Conservation on non-renewable natural resources is a must. The main focus of conservation is maintaining the health of the natural world, which includes fisheries, habitats, and biological diversity. Materials conservation and energy conservation are also a part of the conservation of the environment. Now we will discuss the different types of conservation for the betterment of the health of the environment.
Preventing the soil loss because of erosion or reduced fertility caused by over usage, acidification, salinization or other chemical soil contamination is known as soil conservation. In other words, we can say that a handful of the technique used for the preservation of soil is soil conservation. This word comes into existence in 1930 when the Dust brothers demonstrate the intense impacts of poor soil management.
The top layer of soil is most fertile and it has all the organic matter, nutrients, micro-organisms that are required for plants to grow and shine. The impacts of chemicals used as fertilizers and soil erosion lasted up to eight years on the top layer of soil which results in tons of topsoil loss. Healthy soil is a must to grow the plants and other pulses so soil conservation also becomes important for the human race.
Techniques for soil conservation
- A mixture of farming methods is one of the most appropriate ways for soil conservation. This practice can initiate by eliminating the use of nitrogen fertilizer.
- Contour Plowing is a very effective way for farmland on slopes to prevent runoff improve crop yields.
- Terrace Farming, popular in Asia for planting rice is also a good and old method for the conservation of soil.
- Earthworms provide great benefits to the farmland. Earthworms contain a vast amount of more nutrients than any natural soil in the world. Because of this reason, earthworm should be invited into the soils of farmland to prevent erosion.
Like soil, water is also an important natural resource. Water is one of the basic necessities for life on earth. According to the World Health Organization, over one billion people worldwide do not have access to safe drinking water.
Many Indian cities face a lack of water, especially during summers. The best way for water conservation is to save it. You can save water by following some very small tips.
Techniques for water conservation
- Close the tap of running water where ever use see the wastage of water.
- We misuse the water mostly at our home so be aware and do not open the tap until its really need.
- Buy a washing machine keeping in mind its water requirement.
- Water your plants in the early morning and late evening so the water lasts for a longer time and not evaporated immediately in the hot sun.
- Preserving the rainwater is one of the most effective ways for water conservation.
Energy conservation is one of the most critical situations that we are facing today. Two wheelers and four wheelers are constantly driven all over the world. They are one of the reasons for poor air quality. Energy conservation is crucial as we get it from non-renewable resources.
This is the reason that scientists look for a more complex solution like replacement of energy. Energy generated from the combustion of fossil fuels, coal, and gas and in the absence of this energy, our daily life will get affected badly.
Techniques for energy conservation
Car pulling and minimum use of your vehicle are one of the good ways for the conservation of energy. You should keep your vehicles in the best condition to save your surrounding from poisonous air caused by petrol.
Major Environmental Challenges
Our plant is facing major environmental issues and its high time to work for the betterment of our planet. We have already discussed that a high population is one of the reasons for environmental changes. Here are the major environmental challenges that we need to control.
- Increased discharge of carbon dioxide, mainly by fossil fuel burning is the biggest challenge for us. We cannot imagine a world without petroleum energy and when we use this energy, it produces carbon dioxide.
- Lack of Greenland and trees make this carbon dioxide more dangerous for human.
- Use of polyethylene and other synthetic materials makes the soil un-fertile.
- Extreme exploitation of natural resources, preventing the natural systems from replenishing hence we face environmental related challenges like smog and extreme climate challenges.
We all know this fact that the environment is our life support system. You cannot think of the existence of life on earth in the absence of suitable environmental conditions. Human is known as the smartest and most intelligent spices among all the spices present on earth.
So the human has started the extreme exploitation of natural resources and now we have reached to that condition that most could not get pure air to breathe and clean water to drink.
In all the odds, the best thing is that now we are thinking about the conservation of the environment. People try to grow small plants in their homes. It is a good sign but not sufficient. We need to be more aware of the health of our environment. We need to understand that if our eco-system will collapse, our civilization will collapse too.
To summarize everything mentioned here, we can say that conservation is the protection of natural resources which is the need of the hour. However, the progression of modern cultivation has a great impact on planets and natural resources but still, not many farmers are aware of them. So, to conserve natural resources is must to educate many other humans.