Conservation of Water Essay: 97% of our water is covered with water resources, but they are not potable. In the remaining 3%, 2% is taken up by glaciers and ice caps. Only the remaining 1% is available for drinking. Pollution and contamination of water resources have further brought down water quality leading to an alarming situation. By rationally using water resources, optimising groundwater usage, harvesting rainwater, flood management and preventing water contamination, we can conserve water.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Essay on Conservation of Water in 500 Words
Below we have provided Conservation of Water Essay in English, suitable for class 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10.
Near about 3.7 billion years ago, cooling down of earth created warm water bodies. The first single-celled organism is said to have evolved in these warm oceans. This explains how water is the origin of life. It is the ultimate source of survival for all life forms. Earth is rightly termed as the blue planet. Around 70 percent of the earth’s surface is submerged in water. In its absence, life will cease to exist. Despite its abundance, the world is dealing with the scarcity of water. Hence this natural resource needs to be conserved at all means.
Scarcity of Water
Human civilization started across river banks, wherein people could easily grow crops. Currently, the agriculture sector needs almost 70 percent of the freshwater supply. The rest of the 30 percent gets utilized in domestic and industrial activities. This freshwater source is depleting fast. Besides, a majority of the freshwater content is trapped in the glaciers or the ice caps. Time and again, our activities have resulted in the exploitation of water. Pollution of water due to industrial effluents and waste discharge disrupts the natural balance. Urban areas are packed with multitudes of buildings.
This is the major reason why we can’t even facilitate rainwater storage areas. Moreover, flash floods and destruction of the riverine regions are the common outcomes. Study reports suggest that only 1 percent of the entire water content of the earth is potable. To put this in clearer terms, more than 1 billion people thrive in 1 gallon of water per day. According to these statistics, by 2025, some 3 billion people or more would be facing a severe shortage of water. Hence, the scarcity of water needs to be addressed immediately.
Water Conservation Methods
Understanding the importance of water is the first step. However, we need to save this resource to procure long-term benefits. Here we have mentioned a few points related to the conservation of water:
- Instead of showers or tubs, try to use buckets for bathing purposes. This will easily save at least 150 liters of water every year.
- Avoid wastage of water while cooking food or cleaning utensils.
- Turn off the pipe or the faucet when you are not using it.
- Before using the dishwasher or the washing machine, make sure it is fully loaded. You can save 300 to 800 gallons per month by practising this.
- Avoid excessive use of water while brushing your teeth or washing your face.
- Adjust the speed of your shower head by using a blocker.
- Lessen the usage of water while flushing the toilets.
- Use rainwater harvesting techniques to store rainwater. Utilise the rainwater for basic domestic needs.
- Use a hosepipe while gardening or washing your vehicle.
- Water the plants in your garden in the evening hours. Less water loss due to evaporation helps retain water for a longer time.
- Plant more trees during the rainy season. Planting more trees will help you cover the soil, and this will prevent evaporation.
- Avoid wasting much water in festivals like Holi.
- Pollution management must be effectively done.
- The government should ban water-polluting means employed by the industries.
- Strict laws must be imposed for releasing untreated effluents into water bodies.
- Spread awareness regarding conservation of water.
- Encourage your friends and families to adopt these precautionary measures for saving water.