500+ Words Essay on Science – My Favourite Subject
The term Science was originated from the Latin word “Scientia,” which means knowledge. Now this extraction of knowledge by a series of experiments and observations is what Science deals with. In simple terms, we can say that Science is a phenomenon which enables us to understand how a certain thing works.
It is an integral part of this universe and is responsible for our evolution in this world. Science has made it possible for us to enjoy the luxuries of life. The unthinkable things of the past are now accessible because of it. Gone are the days when people used to struggle to talk to their distant relatives or sit under the street lamp-posts to study.
Today we enjoy the basic amenities of electricity, telephone, airplanes, cars and much more all thanks to Science. One of its biggest manifestations includes the invention of the internet, which has unified this world together. The comforting lifestyle and ease of living in today’s world are all due to science.
Science in our Daily Lives
Since childhood, we get acquainted with the benefits of Science. The study of science as a mandatory subject in our schools from a very early stage inculcates curiosity in us. We learn about the planetary system and gain knowledge on our very own planet Earth.
This helps us to study the parameters which affect our planet starting from atmospheric changes, soil condition, ocean currents, chemical processes undergoing in nature, etc. Innovation and growth take place because of science. It influences almost every aspect of life, be it food, medicine, machines, weapons and artillery, transportation, or advanced research.
Fields of Science
Science is a vast domain that comprises multiple areas of expertise. Primarily it can be categorised into seven different branches:
- Formal Science which deal with Mathematics and logic to develop the knowledge required for aptitude and critical reasoning.
- Natural Science involve Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Earth Science. Biology is the study of living organisms, whereas, in Chemistry, we learn about the structure and properties of different materials. Physics gives us knowledge about the interaction of matter and energy. Earth Science revolves around the study of Earth and its attributes.
- Engineering and Technology stress the application of various scientific principles to create and design innovative things.
- Health Science focuses on the medical aspect of applied science. It includes Anatomy, Genetics, Medicine, Immunology, and much more.
- Agricultural Science, where one can gain in-depth knowledge about forestry and agriculture.
- Social Science, like psychology, help govern the study of human behaviour.
- Humanities which comprises of disciplines related to human conditions like Linguistics, Archaeology, and Cartography, etc.
Major Scientific Inventions
Scientific inventions have marked the history of humankind and have truly transformed our world. There was a time when our ancestors used to navigate the world following the stars, which was not safe to voyage far off from land in cloudy days. The invention of the compass helped them to navigate safer.
Thomas Edison contributed to a revolution by introducing electricity in our lives. The discovery of light bulbs is till date one of the best discoveries. Almost all the modern equipment which we use today run on electricity. In the fields of medicine, Penicillin will always be one of the most sought-after stories of invention.
Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin, which helped save thousands of lives and later became the most widely used antibiotic in this entire world. Other than that, science has created a printing press, telephone, refrigerator, music, and the internet, which have changed billions of lives all over the world.
Advantages of Science
- Science has undoubtedly proven to be of great importance to this world. The sense of logic and reason for whatever happens in our surroundings is governed by Science. It lays the foundation of knowledge that can help predict the pattern of any action and provide us with the best possible explanation for the same.
- Today the scenario of transportation has completely changed, and this is certainly one of the best gifts of science. You can travel to any part of the world you wish to. Modern transport by means of land, air, or water has surprisingly evolved in the passing years. The number of automobiles, airplanes, and cruises keep on increasing and will continue to do so with the power of science.
- Industrial sectors work on the implemented principles of science. Construction of dams and the use of turbines to conserve energy are some of the very resourceful innovations. The ideas of creating safe spaces which are prone to natural disasters like earthquake, landslides, floods, and volcanic eruptions are introduced to us by Building Science.
- Apart from curing cancer or other life-threatening diseases in humans, science has made advancements when it comes to treating animals. Nowadays, we have veterinary doctors who treat and cure our pets and other animals to safeguard their well-being.
- The food industries have boomed as agricultural sciences have enabled us to come up with fresh organic food options that yield more both in quality and quantity. Automation in the food processing industries has led to faster production and increased ease of availability of products to the consumers.
- The fashion technology has developed with the help of science. The implementation of new designs and tools has made the textile industry boom. Earlier clothes were hand stitched, which was not only tiresome but also time consuming. Introduction of sewing machines and other innovative machinery has made the process hassle free.
- The increased security is also an outcome of science. Unique identification trends like using biometrics, fingerprints, eye scans are developed to strengthen our system. CCTV cameras, alarm systems, and drones are a few other interesting discoveries of science.
- Internet is a huge asset of science which has made communication and exchanging information quite easy. All you need is a computer in a working state and a strong internet connection, and you can do all kinds of things starting from booking tickets to creating your own business.
- Satellites predict the weather changes, which is an added advantage of space sciences.
Science has always been and will always remain an integral part of all our lives. Furthermore, today we enjoy a carefree lifestyle which is only possible due to science. It is a blessing in disguise, which helps us become more efficient and productive as humans.