Gandhi Jayanti is a special day to remember Gandhiji’s contribution in achieving freedom for our country from British rule. October 2nd is the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
[2nd October*] Gandhi Jayanti 2021
Gandhi Jayanti is celebrated on October 2nd every year. An important day in India to mark the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The day is declared as a national holiday by the government of India. He is known as the father of our nation. He was the pioneer in India’s struggle for achieving freedom from British rule. On this day all schools, offices, government organisations, banks and post offices are closed as a public holiday.
History of Gandhi Jayanti
In the year 2007, the UN General Assembly declared October 2nd as International Day of Non-violence. For India, Mahatma Gandhi played a very significant role in achieving independence for the nation. Gandhi’s principles were an asset to the country. He believed in ideals of non-violence, peace and always spoke the truth. People celebrate his preaching even to this day.
Gandhiji launched an effective campaign against British rule. Some of the prominent among them are the Dandi march, Salt Satyagraha, Non-Co-operation movement etc. He was a great leader who led the Quit India movement and forced the British though peaceful protests to leave our soil permanently. Mahatma Gandhi returned from South Africa; he plunged into India’s freedom struggle and shaped our country’s future. His contribution to India’s freedom struggle is immense and can’t be measured in a few words.
Gandhi Jayanti 2021 Theme
The theme for Gandhi Jayanti 2021 is not decided yet. The year 2020 theme focused on ‘Shaping Peace Together’. Every year Gandhi Jayanti is celebrated not as a one-day observance. The central government usually plans to honour his memory for almost a year. Below we present six themes that were highlighted for the year 2018. Each theme came to be implemented month-wise. The six themes are listed below:
- Improving sanitation facilities
- Practising non-violence in our conduct
- Providing relentless services to our community
- Maintaining unity among all classes of people.
- Abolishing any trace of orthodox practices like untouchability
- Empowering and providing financial independence to women.
Many international communities took part in commemorating these themes according to their month of implementation. The themes were brought in place from October 2018 and continued till March 2019.
Gandhi Jayanti 2021 Celebration
Gandhi Jayanti is one such national holiday where people unite and stand together for the ideals and values brought forward by Mahatma Gandhi. Different people celebrate this day in various unique ways; some of them are discussed below:
- Prayer meet by top brass politicians and dignitaries at Raj Ghat is the most important highlight of the day. The most endearing song remembered in Gandhiji’s name, Raghupati Raghava Raja Ram, is played throughout in his memory. The Prime Minister and President of India visit the Raj Ghat on this day and offer their respects to the nation’s father.
- Schools and educational institutions conduct various cultural programs and spread awareness on Gandhiji’s life for the student community.
- The online forums and digital platforms post their most inspirational quotes by Gandhiji.
- Not just at Raj Ghat, the common citizens also participate in making the day special. This includes singing remembrance songs at public events, artwork dedicated to the late Mahatma, exhibition portraying Gandhi’s life and sacrifice. People make it a point to garland Gandhiji’s statue with fresh and fragrant flowers.
- The UN celebrates this day as International Non-Violence Day and spreads awareness on Gandhian ethics and values.
We have to teach our next generation to follow the preaching and values of Gandhiji. People need to read and understand his importance to build a free society from orthodox blind beliefs and rigid practices. A small step taken to follow Gandhian teachings shall change how the world operates and fills them with love and universal brotherhood.