GATE 2021: GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is one of the most popular technical national entrance exams. The Indian Institute of Science (IISC), Bangalore in collaboration with one of the several IITs organizes GATE exam every year. The GATE exam conducting authority is vested with IIT Bombay. GATE scores provide admission into Masters’ programs in various branches of engineering, technology, architecture and doctoral programs in Science streams. This article provides comprehensive information about GATE 2021 notification that includes exam dates, eligibility criteria, application process, exam pattern, syllabus and more.
GATE 2021 Exam Dates
GATE Exam Dates are already announced. Candidates can check the timeline of events from the list below:
|Formal commencement of application process||September 11, 2020|
|Deadline to submit completed applications||October 08, 2020|
|Fee payment deadline||October 14, 2020|
|Window for change of category, paper, exam city details at extra cost||October 28 to November 13, 2020|
|Availability of Admit Card||January 08, 2021|
|GATE 2021 Examination||February 5-7 & February 12-14, 2021|
|Result announcement||March 22, 2021|
|Scorecard release date||March 26 to May 31, 2021|
GATE 2021 Eligibility Criteria
The GATE eligibility criteria for various courses are explained below:
|Qualifying Degree||Qualifying Exam||Eligibility||Qualifying Year|
|BE/ B.Tech/ B.Pharma||Bachelor degree in engineering/ technology ( 4 year course after 10+2 OR 3 years course after B.Sc or diploma in engineering stream)||Candidate should have completed the course.|
Final year candidates can apply too.
|B.Arch||5 year Bachelor degree in Architecture/ 4 year Naval architecture/ 4 years planning course||Candidate should have completed the course.|
Final year candidates can apply too.
|2023 [ for 5 years course] and 2022 [ for 4 years course]|
|B.Sc (Research) or B.S course||Bachelor degree in Science stream (After completion of Diploma OR 4 years course after 10+2)||Candidate should either be studying in 3rd year or should have completed the course.||2022|
|D.Pharma after 10+2||6 year degree program inclusive of internship and residency training in 6th year||Candidate should be in 3rd/ 4th/ 5th or 6th year or should have completed the course.||2024|
|MBBS||MBBS degree holders or candidates pursuing 5th/6th/ 7th semester of the program.||5th/6th/7th year or should have completed the course.||2022|
|M.Sc/MCA/ MA||Master degree in science/ mathematics/ statistics/ computer applications/ arts etc||Currently 1st year or completed the course.||2022|
|Integrated M.E/ M.Tech after B.Sc||4 years integrated masters degree program after engineering / technology after B.Sc course||Currently in 2nd/3rd/4th year or completed course itself.||2023|
|Integrated M.E/M.Tech or dual degree after diploma or 10+2||5 years Integrated masters degree program/ dual degree program in engineering/ technology streams||Currently in 1st/2nd/3rd year or completed course itself.||2024|
|Integrated M.Sc/ Integrated BS-MS courses||Integrated M.Sc or Integrated BS-MS program for 5 years.||Currently in /3rd year or completed course itself||2024|
|Professional society examinations that are on par with B.E/ B.Tech/ B.Arch||BE/B.Tech/ B.Arch or passed exams by professional societies recognised by MoE/UPSC/AICTE etc||Should have completed Section A or equivalent.||Not Applicable|
Important Note: For candidates pursuing qualifying degrees outside India:
- Candidates could either be in the final year or should have completed the Bachelor degree already.
- At least 4 years course in Engineering/ Technology is desirable.
- Candidates could either be in the final year or should have completed the post-graduate degree already.
- At least 2 years course in science subjects is a must.
GATE 2021 Application Form
Candidates have to understand these instructions before filling application form:
- Candidates have to perform online registration and form filling using the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS).
- Online application window was open between 11th September 2020 to 8th October 2020.
- Deadline for fee payment was till 12th October 2020.
- Photographs, signature, qualification certificates, category certificates and other relevant documents should be uploaded along with the online form.
- Candidates can attempt one or two papers, following the combination norms specified by GATE authorities.
- No need to send hard copies of application forms to zonal GATE offices.
- Fee payment to be done in ONLINE mode using net banking/ debit cards/ credit cards, etc.
- Fee once paid is neither refundable nor transferable under any circumstances.
Fee details for selecting exam centres within India:
|Category||Fees to be paid||Fee payment during extended time period|
|Female candidates||INR 750||INR 1250|
|SC/ST/PWD||INR 750||INR 1250|
|Others||INR 1500||INR 2000|
Fee details for selecting exam centres outside India (common to all categories):
|Centres||Fees to be paid||Fee payment during extended time period|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||US $50||US $70|
|Dubai, Singapore||US $100||US $120|
GATE 2021 Application Form Correction
- Application form correction option has commenced from 28th October 2020 and remains open till 13th November 2020.
- Correction can be made to fields that are edit-enabled.
- Candidates who do not perform correction of forms may face rejection by authorities.
- Communication regarding application rejection shall not be sent separately to students.
- Currently, IIT Bombay has enabled online application correction window for select fields only.
GATE 2021 Exam Pattern
- GATE exam will be conducted in the ONLINE mode.
- There are totally 27 subject papers with the additional introduction of ‘environmental science and engineering’ and ‘humanities and social sciences’ from this year onwards.
- Papers are based on multiple-choice questions, multiple select questions and numerical answer types.
- Each paper consists of the compulsory section plus an optional section.
- The exam shall be held for 3 hours duration maximum consisting of total 100 marks and 65 questions.
- MCQs carry negative marking. Numerical type questions do not have negative marking scheme.
GATE 2021 Syllabus
The brief syllabus for various GATE subjects is provided below:
- Biomedical Engineering (BM) – engineering maths, electrical circuits, biomechanics, human anatomy, medical imaging systems etc.
- Architecture and Planning (AR) – architecture and design, construction and management, environmental planning, building construction etc
- Mathematics (MA) – Linear algebra, complex analysis, functional analysis, numerical analysis, real analysis etc
- Electronics and Communications Engineering (EC) – engineering maths, networks, communication devices, signals and systems, digital circuits etc.
- Chemical Engineering (CH) – process calculations, thermodynamics, engineering maths, fluid mechanics etc
- Instrumentation Engineering (IN) – engineering maths, signals and systems, electrical circuits, control systems etc.
- Petroleum Engineering (PE) – linear algebra, petroleum formation evaluation, oil and gas etc.
- Civil Engineering (CE) – engineering maths, structural engineering, geotechnical engineering etc
- Statistics – Calculus, probability, linear algebra, stochastic probabilities, multivariate etc.
GATE 2021 Preparation Tips
Candidates can utilise these useful tips to earn high scores in GATE exam:
- Candidates should begin preparation by understanding the exam pattern, syllabus and marking scheme of the exam.
- Prepare a strategic time table and begin preparation well in advance.
- Study from recommended subject books to get a good knowledge base of concepts.
- Solve previous year question papers and mock tests and verify with answer keys.
- Attend coaching classes if necessary.
- Prepare good notes for structured studying and revision.
- Use online resources and visual aids for the effective preparation process.
GATE 2021 Admit Card
- Candidates can download an online copy of admit card from 8th January 2021 on the GOAPS website.
- Exam centre, location address, time duration and other important details are published in the admit card.
- Candidates should report well in advance at the exam venue as per timings indicated on the card.
- Any request place for a change of duration or exam venue shall be disqualified without any notice.
- Candidates have to show their admit cards along with an original copy of a photo ID card at the exam venue.
GATE 2021 Answer Key
- Candidates can login to GOAPS website to get an online version of answer keys.
- Candidates can check the answer key against their own answers.
- For challenging any answer key, the requisite fee along with answer details needs to be submitted.
- Upon scrutiny, GATE authorities issue the final answer key.
GATE 2021 Result
- Candidates can expect online display of results on 22nd March 2021.
- Candidates can check their result by entering valid login details into GATE website.
- The qualifying statuses of the candidate shall be displayed.
- The result sheet is to be maintained till the complete admission process is complete.
GATE 2021 Scorecard
- Scorecard indicates the relative performance and progression of a candidate subject-wise.
- The scorecard is valid for three years duration.
- Between 26th March to 31st May, 2021 candidates can download their scorecards.
- Scorecards are displayed along with candidate’s photograph.
- For obtaining a soft copy of GATE scorecard, candidates need to remit INR 500 in the last week of May 2021.
GATE 2021 Cut off
The list below elaborates the expected cut off range for various categories:
|Electronics and Communication||25||25.5||16.50|
GATE 2021 Counselling
- The centralised counselling for M.Tech/ M.Arch and M.Plan admissions are CCMT.
- Comprehensive GATE score is provided by calculating scores of 2019, 2020 and 2021.
- From the second week of April 2021, admission to various PG courses is going to commence.
- Candidates have to pay the requisite application fee.
- Counselling is carried out in three stages – Online enrolment, Filing choices and locking them, seat allotment, seat acceptance, fee deposit, candidate reporting and getting allotment for respective college.
GATE 2021 Admission
- After the counselling session, candidates can download the Provisional admission letter (PAL).
- Candidates can report to their allocated institute with the PAL.
- Institutions display their individual institute admission requirements.
- Candidates have to carry all these documents at the time of admission.
- Candidates can finalise their admission by paying respective admission fees specified by individual institutes.