Global Day of Parents 2021: World Parents Day is essential as we honour the most important people in our lives. As the saying goes, God could not be there everywhere; hence he gave us parents. They nurture and protect the child all the time. This day not only reminds us of the selfless sacrifices our parents made for us, but it also reminds us of our responsibilities towards our parents.
Global Day of Parents 2021
Parents are our legal guardians and protectors. They teach us everything and take care of all our needs selflessly. They sacrifice so much to give their child a quality life, a happy environment to nurture the talent. To honour such selfless nature of the parents, we celebrate Global Day of Parents on the 1st of June every year. The United Nations General Assembly proclaimed this day as a celebration since 2012 with resolution A/RES/66/292. Even though the Global Day of Parents is a worldwide celebration, but it is not a national holiday.
History of World Parents Day
This day recognized the importance of responsible parenting in day to day life and was established in 1994. When the world became very self-centred, President Bill Clinton signed an agreement to commemorate Parents Day to promote parental responsibilities and family commitment. This day is used to promote responsible parenting and educate parents on happy parenting. Many educational activities are held worldwide for parents to learn about parenting and from each other’s parenting style.
Parents’ Day was primarily a celebration that started in countries like the United States of America, the Philippines and South Korea. The United States of America celebrated Parents Day on the fourth Sunday of July every year, and South Korea celebrated Parents Day on the 8th of May every year. United Nations declared Global Day of Parents to be held on 1st of June every year 2012.
Global Day of Parents 2021 Theme
Like any other international day celebrations every year, the United Nations comes up with a theme for the festivities. The theme for Global Day of Parents 2021 is undecided yet. The year 2020 theme focused on ‘Appreciate all parents throughout the world’. The year 2019 theme was ‘Honour your parents.’
Significance of Parents Day 2021
This day is an opportunity for the child to show love, respect and gratitude towards the parents for everything they have done for them. Parenting is an essential aspect of life. When a couple becomes parents, they prepare to bring a new life into this world and do whatever it takes to raise the child.
Parents give up their sleep to make sure the baby has slept well. They understand your words when you can not speak correctly. They work hard to give you everything that you need in life. Parents do everything possible for them to nurture and protect their child. At best, we children can do to honour and respect them. Be there for them when they need us. Make them feel wanted and included.
Global Parents Day 2021 Celebration
- If you are a busy professional who cannot take out much time, the smallest things you can do is take your parents on a dinner date and make them feel special and included.
- Once a year around this day, you can plan for a family vacation. This is an excellent way for parents to spend time with their children and grandchildren.
- If you are someone staying miles away from your parents and cannot make it to see them, you could send them pleasant gifts to show them your love, care and concern.
- Spend some quality time with your parents. Talk to them, listen to their stories, cook up a nice meal for them, help them organize a few things at home, fill up their medicine box for the month etc.
- For new parents, communities and social workers can organize a parenting seminar, which will serve as an excellent tool for better parenting.
- Building associations, Social welfare committees, NGOs and old age homes can organize cultural events on this day and create an opportunity for the parents living away from their children to spend some quality time together.
Love your parents unconditionally and make them feel every day is their day, just like how they made you feel when you were a child.