The GPSC or Goa Public Service Commission conducts the state civil service exams to recruit a desirous candidate to various state government positions. All candidates who wish to apply for the exam shall check the exam calendar and apply before the deadline.
The Goa PSC conducts the civil services exam annually to recruit candidates to various posts under the department of fisheries, agriculture, etc. In this article, we provide you the complete details about GPSC civil services exam 2020 with regard to the important dates, online application form, application fees, eligibility conditions, admit card details, exam pattern, syllabus, cut off, results, vacancies, preparation tips, and the best books to refer for Goa PSC 2020. The official website of the Goa PSC is gpsc.goa.gov.in
Goa PSC 2020 – Important Dates
|Official notification release date||To be updated soon|
|Deadline to submit completed application form||To be updated soon|
|Admit card available for download||To be updated soon|
|Examination date||To be updated soon|
|Result announcement||To be updated soon|
Goa PSC Online Application Form 2020
- Visit the official website.
- Click on the apply online tab.
- Click on the relevant exam link.
- Create a valid login/ password and register on the website.
- Log in with details.
- Enter all relevant details in the application form.
- Upload documents like photograph, signature, etc.
- Pay the requisite application fee.
- Submit the form.
- Save/download/print the submitted application form.
Intrested candidates trying to attempt IAS Exam? Read this article: IAS Exam.
Fees to be paid
The fees for different categories of candidates are specified below:
General category – INR 1000
SC/ST/OBC Candidates belonging to the state of Goa- INR 500
Physically disabled candidates and ex-servicemen – INR 500
Mode of Fee payment:
ONLINE – Through credit card/ debit card/ any other bank net banking facility
OFFLINE – Candidates need to visit any SBI branch of Goa and pay the requisite fee. E-challan shall be generated for the same. The Challan number shall then be entered in the online application fee.
Goa PSC Admit Card
All candidates who wish to attempt the exam must compulsorily carry the admit card with them to the exam hall, failing which they may not be allowed to take up the examination.
Steps to download admit card
- Log in to the official website with a valid ID/Password.
- Go to the ‘Apply Online’ section.
- Click on the relevant exam link.
- Locate the ‘Download Admit Card’ tab and click on it.
- Enter ‘Application number’ and ‘Date of Birth’ and click on continue.
- Admit card shall be displayed.
- Download/print the admit card.
Goa Public Service Eligibility Criteria
Only citizens of India shall apply for the exam to seek eligibility to write the exam.
- Working knowledge (Reading, writing, and understanding skills) of Konkani is a must.
- All candidates should have a minimum degree qualification/ Bachelor’s degree of 3 years/ equivalent qualification to qualify for the exam.
The minimum age for all posts under the service: 18 years.
The maximum age limit depends on the categories:
- For general category: 33 years
- For SC/ST: 38 years
- For OBC: 35 years
Age relaxation is applicable for candidates belonging to various categories. The specifications are:
- For SC/ST candidates: 5 years
- For OBC candidates : 3 years
- For persons with disabilities: 5 years
- For government servants: 5 years.
Number of attempts
Candidates can make attempts with respect to the upper limit on the age relaxation provided.
Goa PSC Exam Pattern 2020
The exam consists of 3 rounds – Prelims, mains, and the interview round.
- It consists of 2 papers.
- They are the general studies and the general aptitude papers.
- Both papers are conducted for 200 marks.
- Both are conducted for 2 hours duration.
- Both papers have multiple-choice questions only.
- IT consists of 6 papers.
- All papers are explanatory and descriptive.
- The first 2 papers are General English and General Hindi.
- They are conducted for 100 marks each.
- The remaining 4 papers are General studies papers – 1,2,3,4, respectively.
- The general studies papers carry a total of 150 marks each.
- Overall the mains exam paper is conducted for 800 marks.
- The total marks of the interview round are 100.
- Only those candidates who clear the main exam will be allowed to attempt the interview round.
- The marks scored in the mains plus the interview round decide the final rank of the candidate.
Syllabus for Goa Public Service Commission
The prelims and the mains exam consist of the General studies paper, general aptitude paper, general English, and general Hindi papers.
The syllabus, in brief, is provided below. Candidates can also download the complete syllabus in PDF format.
General Study’s paper:
- Constitution of India
- Ethics, moral values, and integrity
- Governance and bureaucracy
- Budget and planning commission
- Current affairs
- General knowledge
- History of India
- Indian national movement
- Religion and culture of Goa
- Festivals and languages of Goa
- Goa demographics and statistics
- Information technology
- Social and economic development of the country
- Ecology and biodiversity
- Wildlife and habitat conservation
- Environmental studies
General Aptitude paper:
- Numerical problems
- Data reasoning
- Logical reasoning
- Data sufficiency
- Data interpretation
- Analytical thinking
- Graphs and charts
General English paper
- Letter writing
- Proverbs and idioms
- Sentence completion
- Precise and paragraph writing
- Language usage in different forms
General Hindi paper
- Short notes/essay type of questions
- Precise writing
- Letter writing
- Hindi Grammar
- Sentence completion
The cut off marks for the exam after each round is decided by the commission and depends on a number of factors. The category wise (probable) cut off marks are:
- For general category – 60%
- For OBC Candidates – 55%
- For SC/ST candidates – 50%
(The cut off marks are specified by the commission on the official website after results are out and are subject to revision. Final discretion by the commission)
The results after every round of the exam shall be displayed on the official website. Students should check the website for updates from time to time.
Steps to download results/, mark sheet:
- Login to the official website.
- Under the ‘Recruitment’ section, click on the ‘Results’ tab.
- Click on the relevant exam link provided in the list.
- Download the result sheet to view the results.
- Results can be saved/ print copy be taken for future use.
The number of positions is subject to change by the commissions, and they are different every year. The number of positions vacant for various posts is listed below:
- Junior Scale Officer of Goa state Civil Services
- Assistant Professor for Marathi in Goa Government College
- Assistant Director post
- Child Development Project Officer/ Social Welfare Officer position
- Physicist, Ayurvedic Physician, Senior Surgeon, and Medical Superintendent officer
- Physicist in the state cadre
- Assistant Professor in state services cadre
- Junior Consultant cadre
- Junior ENT Surgeon cadre
- District Town Planning officer
- Scientific Assistant officer
- Senior Translation officer (Marathi)
- Superintendent officer of the Department of Fisheries
- Assistant Archivist Grade officer
- Junior officer (ENT Surgeon jobs)
- Directorate of Tribal Welfare cadres, Goa
- Ayurvedic Physician ( state cadre)
- Senior Surgeon ( state cadre)
- Medical Superintendent officer
- Sub matter Specialist officer
- Assistant Director for the Department of Tourism
- Senior Translation officer (Konkani)
- Junior Anaesthesia specialist in ESI Hospital, Margao
- Ayurvedic Physician posts
- Junior Environmental Engineer posts
- Junior Law Officer cadres
Preparation tips for GPSC Goa PSC
- Understand the syllabus completely.
- With the help of good reference books, prepare good notes.
- Focus on the art and cultural aspects of Goa.
- Do not change books too often; always stick to standard reference books.
- Facts and data need to be collected and memorized from correct sources.
- Coaching classes are not necessary.
- Majority of the syllabus lies in general studies. Concentrate more on that.
- Do peer studies; it will help not to miss any important topic for General studies.
- Visit Goa state government official website to inform yourself about any latest updates.
- Update well on current affairs and general knowledge of Goa.
Books recommended for Goa PSC civil service exam
- Economic Survey of India
- India Yearbook
- Logical Reasoning by R S Agarwal
- Lucent Publications for General Knowledge
- Pratiyogita Darpan
- Geography by Majid Hussain
- Economy by Ramesh Singh
- Indian Polity by M Laxmikanth
- NCERT E-books
- Ancient India by D Kausambi
- R P Sharma Thesaurus
Also, Read Other State Civil Services 2020 Articles