500+ Words Essay on Happiness
“Happiness is a gift, and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes”~ Charles Dickens.
What you feel when you buy your first house, meet an old friend, eat your favourite dish, can be interpreted as happiness. It can be referred to as both an emotional and a mental state of contentment. Happiness cannot be described by the use of words. It can only be perceived through someone who feels it. We all need this feeling if we want to lead a good life. Happiness comes from deep within us.
The Essence of Happiness
The context of happiness is a bit complicated. It can vary between the notions of contentment to an overwhelming sense of joy. Some people confuse joy and happiness. While joy is a constant state of mind, happiness relies on certain episodes of our lives. Happiness makes us feel alive (like we are at the top of the world).
It comes with a quality of complete satisfaction. The meaning of happiness varies from one person to another. We all have our unique definitions for it. For some, happiness is when you complete the last chapter of a classic novel. Some seek it while playing with their pets or watching a good movie. Others might find it on a weekend getaway.
Everyone wants to be happy, but sadly not all of us are. We struggle to find happiness from an outside source. What we don’t understand is that happiness has to be discovered and built from scratch. Our mind is the key for us to decide if we want happiness in our life. No matter what challenges come our way, we must find the faith to be happy. The situations we go through influence our state of being happy.
What are the factors affecting happiness?
Our state of being happy can be affected by a couple of factors. Let us take a look at them:
Irregular sleep patterns can prove detrimental to us in the long run. An adequate amount of sleep is needed if we want to be productive. Waking up in the morning after proper six to eight hours of rest makes us feel good.
A moral system greatly affects the happiness of an individual. She/he must find a strong morale booster platform. It helps them to deal with the stressful incidences of their life.
Relationships also play a vital role. If you are in a healthy relationship with your partner, you will be in a considerably good state of mind.
A healthy body is crucial for a sound mind. If you are ill or if you feel discomfort, you tend to worry. On the contrary, a healthy person lives at ease and comfort without worrying about the painful health conditions.
Can happiness be bought?
People around us might look happy in our eyes. However, deep down, they are dealing with their hardships. Some of them are sad, and some wrestle with depression every single day. Often, people have a misconception that money can solve everything. They think their grief would be resolved, and they would find happiness if they were rich.
This is not quite true. Money can surely benefit us with our basic amenities. It can give us food, shelter, a good lifestyle, recreational opportunities, etc. But it cannot buy happiness for us. If it could, then the wealthiest of the lot would also be the happiest. The reality we experience has a different picture altogether.
Rich people deal with fear, anxiety, stress, and not to forget the sadness. They have their battles to fight. Imagine living the life of a rich man for a day. You might have the world’s entire treasure, but you cannot have a sound sleep ever. You might have serious arguments with your friends and families. Moreover, you would always find yourself troubled about the safety of your wealth.
Thus, happiness cannot be bought. There are no shortcuts to finding it. If you have a positive approach in life and choose to act peacefully, you will find what you desire. Our emotions are built on our thoughts. Therefore, it is very important to work on constructive thoughts if we want a clear mind. That way, we would be able to enjoy the little things in life.
Ways to find Happiness
There are a few ways that can induce a state of complete happiness. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Stop complaining about your struggles and look at all the good things that surround you.
- Be thankful for your life and for the privileges you get to have in it.
- Work your way around patience. It takes time to accomplish greater things in life.
- If something goes wrong, do not search for a source to blame. Instead, move on and aim for something better.
- Do not let your past trouble your present. All the misery that you experienced yesterday will teach you how to live today.
- Do not compare your life with someone else’s. You will be filled with jealousy, anger, and dissatisfaction.
- Share good vibes with others. Their smiles will lift your mood, as well.
- Find motivation and goodwill from the people near you. Spend time with the ones who make you feel happy.
- Give more time to yourself. Get to explore your identity. Dream about the things that would genuinely make you happy.
- Self-love and self-acceptance is the key to happiness.
- Stop worrying about the problems. If you have a calm mind, you can easily figure out the solution.
- Find a hobby like painting, music, or writing poetry.
- Last but not least, talk to your family because they are your biggest support system.
Happiness is something we all dream about. Our reasons for attaining this internal feeling might differ. And if we continuously search for happiness, it will never make us happy. The trick is to stop looking for it and enjoy life. Each moment has something extraordinary for us to witness. We just have to be grateful for the things we have and build a positive outlook in life. Only then will we be able to be truly happy.