The Haryana Public Service Commission or HPSC conducts the civil services exam to recruit prospective candidates to various administrative positions of the state government of Haryana.
HPSC exam is held every year on a National level for recruitment of candidates for Class I, II and III officers in different Government departments of the state in the department such as Administration, Police, Forest, Engineering, and Administration.
The official notification for HPSC 2020 is yet to be released by the commission. Let’s have a detailed look at the various aspects of the Haryana PSC examination, including important exam dates, eligibility criteria, online application form and application fees, admit card details, exam pattern, syllabus, recruitment, preparation tips, results, and current vacancies, recommended books, etc. The official website of the state commission of Haryana is http://hpsc.gov.in.
HPSC 2020 – Important Dates
|Start of application date on the official portal of HPSC||March 2020 (tentative)|
|Last date to apply for HPSC civil service prelims exam||April 2020 (tentative)|
|Prelims Exam date||To be Updated soon|
|Mains Exam||To be Updated soon|
|HPSC Result||To be Updated soon|
HPSC 2020 Application Form – Apply Online
Candidates have to apply for the HPSC examination soon after the official notification is out. The commission will specify the exact dates between which the candidates are allowed to apply. Candidates are requested to apply only through the ONLINE mode. No other mode of application will be duly entertained. Also, candidates have to submit the application form and pay the requisite fee well before the deadline approaches.
Here is the detailed procedure to apply online for the Haryana PSC
- Visit the homepage of http://hpsc.gov.in
- Candidates have to register themselves on the website with a valid login id and password.
- Go to the ‘ONLINE SECTION’ of the homepage and click on it.
- Click on ‘ APPLY ONLINE AND PRINT FILLED APPLICATION SECTION – 1’
- In the following window, choose the exam/post that you wish to apply.
- Fill in all the details asked in the application form and submit.
- Note down the reference number.
- Go back to the main menu of the apply online section and pay the requisite fee.
- After the fee payment process, your application shall be submitted successfully.
- Now you can go back to the main menu again and print the submitted form.
Are you aspiring to attempt UPSC examination? Read this article: UPSC Exam.
Kindly follow these steps to pay the application fee:
- On the homepage, click on the online section and further enter ‘APPLY ONLINE AND PRINT FILLED APPLICATION SECTION – 1’.
- Click on the link that allows you to pay the application fee.
- Please enter details like registration number, password, and date of birth to make the fee payment.
- Once the fees are paid, your application can be successfully submitted.
Fee payment can be made in two modes:
- Online mode – Through internet banking facilities/ debit card/credit card facilities.
- Offline mode – By personally visiting any SBI branch and paying fees. Obtain an acknowledgment for the same and enter the challan number in the application form.
Fee for different categories of candidates:
|Category of candidates||Fees Applicable|
|Outstation male candidates of general and reserved categories||1000 Rupees|
|Outstation female candidates of General and Reserved categories||250 Rupees|
|Candidates belonging to Haryana state but reserved under SC / BC- ‘A’ / BC-‘B’ / ESM||250 Rupees|
|For Persons with Disabilities with at least 40% disability but belonging to the state of Haryana.||No Fees|
Please Note: The fee list indicated below may be subject to change at the discretion of the state commission. Candidates are requested to look for updates on the homepage of the commission from time to time.
HPSC Admit card 2020
The admit card is a very important document for the candidate as it contains all necessary information pertaining to the candidate. The name of the candidate, registration number, exam venue, and timings and other information shall be contained in the admit card. A candidate not carrying the document would not be allowed to take up the examination. Also, candidates are advised to carry important documents that support his eligibility to the exam hall.
Follow these steps to download the admit card from the official site:
- In the online section, traverse to the DOWNLOAD drop-down menu.
- Click on the download admit card.
- Enter your registration number and date of birth correctly.
- Upon system validation, the admit card will be displayed on the site.
- Download/print the admit card.
- Maintain a copy of the same for future references.
Harayana PSC Eligibility
Candidates should carefully know these eligibility conditions before they apply to the HPSC civil services examination. Only those candidates who satisfy the minimum eligibility criteria shall be qualified to take up the examination.
All Indian nationals who are citizens of India are eligible to take up the examination. Also, candidates from other states are permitted and encouraged to attempt the examination.
- Graduates or students appearing for final year degree examination recognized by the government of India are eligible to apply for the exam.
- Candidates who have attained degrees equivalent to graduation that is recognized by the government of India are also eligible to apply.
- General age limit is 21 to 42 years.
- For the post of DSP, the age limit is 21 to 27 years.
- For SC/ST candidates, age relaxation for the upper limit is up to 45 years.
- For physically disabled candidates, an extension of ten years in the upper age limit shall be provided.
- For general category candidates, up to 5 years in the upper age limit is allowed.
Number of attempts
Any number of attempts in the specified age bracket shall be allowed by the state commission.
HPSC Exam Pattern 2020
The exam pattern followed by HPSC civil services exam is the three-tier procedure consisting of the prelims, mains, and the interview round. Let us explore each round of exam pattern in detail below.
- Exam consists of two papers – General Studies and Civil services Aptitude test (CSAT) papers.
- Each paper is conducted for a maximum of 100 marks.
- Paper duration is two hours each.
- Objective type of papers.
- Negative marking applicable. 1/4th of the marks will be deducted for every wrong answer selection.
- The total of both the papers will be taken, and if they are above the cut off marks, then candidates shall be called in for the next round.
- Exam consists of five papers totally.
- Total marks for the mains exam are 600 marks.
- For papers 4 and 5, candidates have the privilege to select the optional subject as per their choice.
- 4 and 5 are general studies papers, subjects to be chosen from the list of optional provided by the commission.
The table below summarizes the marks distribution of the mains exam.
|General English||3 Hours||100|
|General Hindi||3 Hours||100|
|General Studies||3 Hours||100|
|General Studies papers 4 and 5||3 Hours||300|
- The total marks of the interview are 75 marks.
- Candidates who have cleared the mains exam will be shortlisted for the interview round.
- The combined marks of mains exam plus interview totaling to 675 will be considered for the final list of shortlisted candidates.
HPSC Syllabus 2020
The comprehensive syllabus in brief for each of the exam round is listed here.
Prelims and Mains Syllabus
For the general studies paper of both prelims and mains exam, the important aspects of the syllabus include the following:
- Indian history, including the Indian national movement.
- Indian and world geographical studies.
- Indian politics, administrating and constitutional studies.
- Policy making and Indian economy.
- Current affairs.
- Important events at national and global levels
- Science and technology.
- General knowledge and questions based on Haryana’s socio-economic and political scenarios.
For the CSAT paper of prelims, the important aspects of the syllabus include the following:
- General reasoning.
- Logical reasoning and data interpretation.
- Numerical ability.
- Decision making.
- Problem solving.
For the general English paper of the Mains exam, syllabus includes the following:
- Detailed comprehension.
- Precise writing.
- Grammar and vocabulary.
- Language usage in other forms.
For general Hindi paper, the syllabus includes the following aspects. Paper to be written in Devanagari script only.
- Hindi essay and letter writing.
- Hindi grammar.
- Hindi vocabulary and important aspects of the language.
- Hindi language and its connection with Indian culture.
- Paragraph writing and precise writing.
- Translation into other languages etc.
The interview panel consists of members asking candidates on a variety of topics to test and assess their suitability to the position they are applying for. Also, they may be subjected to questions based on their choice of optional subjects. Apart from that, they may be asked questions on current affairs/general knowledge and topics from local culture and political interests.
Harayana PSC Cut off
- Cut off marks for prelims and mains exam will vary every year.
- The state commission decides it, and the cut off marks will be displayed on the official website along with results display.
- Cut off marks depend on the number of factors like the number of candidates applied, a number of candidates cleared, toughness level of the paper, etc.
The results of HPSC 2020 can be accessed from the official site by following the steps given below:
- Go to the download section on the official portal.
- Look for HPSC civil services exam results 2020 link and click on it.
- Another window asking for a candidate reference number, date of birth, and other details will be displayed.
- Upon entry of correct details, the results of the candidate will be displayed.
- Download the result card/ take a print copy/ save for future reference.
The exact number of positions against each post varies every year. The number of vacancies for the year 2020 shall be updated soon. The list of posts is given below for quick reference:
- Haryana Civil Service officer in the executive cadre
- State Excise and Taxation Officer
- Assistant Registrar Co-operative Societies officer
- Assistant Excise and Taxation Officer
- District level Food and Supplies Officer
- District level Food and Supplies Controller
- Block Development Officer and Panchayat Officer
- Traffic Management officer
- Assistant level Employment Officer
Preparation Tips to crack Haryana Public Service Exam
- Put more focus on the state details of Haryana like topography, history and culture, demographical information, important statistics, geographical distribution, resource allocation, politics, social-economic status, etc.
- Check for relevant updates on the official site from time to time.
- Select your optional subjects wisely.
- Prepare good notes and reference material for studies.
- Take up coaching classes if necessary.
- Have a good hold on Haryana’s general knowledge.
- Contemporary and burning issues form the core of general studies papers.
- Interviews assess candidates based on interpersonal and analytical skills.
Best books for Haryana PSC
Below, we have mentioned the best books recommended for HPSC civil services preparation. Candidates are however advised to refer more books for comprehensive reading:
- Indian Polity by M Laxmikanth.
- A brief history of modern India, book by Rajiv Ahir
- Physical and human geography by G C Leong
- Book on Indian economy by Ramesh Singh.
- Book on Ethics, integrity, and aptitude by G Subba Rao
- NCERT Books
Also, Read Other State Civil Services 2020 Articles
|MPSC Exam||UPPSC Exam||GPSC Exam|
|JPSC||WBPSC Exam||BPSC Exam|
|RPSC Exam||TNPSC Exam||Meghalaya PSC|
|MPSC Manipur||KPSC Exam||Kerala PSC|
|APPSC Exam||Arunachal Pradesh PSC|