IIT JAM 2021: The application correction window for IIT JAM is open, and 10th November 2020 is the last date to perform modifications on submitted application forms. On behalf of MHRD [Ministry of Human Resource Development], every year one of the IITs takes up the responsibility of conducting JAM. IIT JAM offers admission to various programs like M.Sc, M.Sc PhD and M.Sc PhD dual degrees. It is a national level entrance test conducted every year, and for 2021, IISc Bangalore is conducting the exam. Through IIT JAM, candidates can get admission into various courses in different institutions based on their scores. This article provides complete details about IIT JAM 2021 that includes exam date, application process, eligibility criteria, exam pattern, syllabus, admit card, result and more.
IIT JAM 2021 Exam Dates
- 1 IIT JAM 2021 Exam Dates
- 2 IIT JAM 2021 Application Form
- 3 IIT JAM 2021 Eligibility Criteria
- 4 IIT JAM 2021 Exam Pattern
- 5 IIT JAM 2021 Syllabus
- 6 IIT JAM 2021 Preparation Tips
- 7 IIT JAM 2021 Admit Card
- 8 IIT JAM 2021 Answer Key
- 9 IIT JAM 2021 Result
- 10 IIT JAM 2021 Merit List
- 11 IIT JAM 2021 Cut off
- 12 IIT JAM 2021 Counselling
The exam schedule of IIT JAM and other relevant dates have been officially announced in the notification. The table below gives all the details:
|Formal commencement of application process||10th September 2020|
|Deadline for application submission and uploading documents||17th October 2020|
|Application correction window||2nd to 10th November 2020|
|Release of admit card||5th January 2021|
|Availability of Mock test||January 2021|
|IIT JAM 2021 Exam||14th February 2021|
|Result declaration||20th March 2021|
|Scorecard availability||27th March to 31st July 2021|
|Admission Application form submission||15th to 28th April 2021|
|Deadline for obtaining receipt [Receipt of request for making changes in category or rectification of related documents]||Before 4th May 2021|
|First admission list publication||16th June 2021|
|Second admission list publication||1st July 2021|
|Third admission list publication||16th July 2021|
|Conclusion of admission through IIT JAM 2021||20th July 2021|
IIT JAM 2021 Application Form
Through the JAM Online Application Processing System (JOAPS), candidates could send online applications from 10th September 2020. A candidate sending multiple applications against rules and regulations shall be rejected. Along with the application, candidates need to upload documents such as a photograph, signature, category certificate, PwD certificates etc. All applications along with documents need to be sent before 17th October 2020. Between 2nd to 10th November 2020, candidates had the option to make modifications to certain fields in their submitted applications. All candidates are requested to make careful entries in the form and take a hard copy of the submitted application for future reference.
Fees for IIT-JAM can be paid in the online mode through net banking/ debit card/ credit card etc. Fee once remitted cannot be refunded under any circumstances. The table below provides fee details according to test papers and category:
|Category of candidate||Application fee|
|One test paper||Two test paper|
|Female candidates of all categories including SC, ST and PwD||INR 750||INR 1050|
|Others||INR 1500||INR 2100|
IIT JAM 2021 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates can check these conditions in detail before applying to IIT JAM.
- Nationality – Both Indian and Foreign nationals can apply.
- Minimum Qualification – Candidates should have a minimum bachelors’ degree from a recognised university or should be pursuing final year degree course.
- Marks Requirement – Candidates should have a minimum aggregate score of 55% or 5.5 CGPA out of 10 for General merit, OBC and EWS categories. Others should have a minimum aggregate score of 50% or 5 out of 10 CGPA score for SC/ST and PWD categories. [The aggregate score is calculated by combining scores of all core subjects and languages of all years].
- Age Criteria – There is no restriction on the age limit to apply.
IIT JAM 2021 Exam Pattern
The IIT JAM pattern must be understood clearly by candidates to score well in the exams.
- IIT JAM exam is conducted for 3 hours duration in the online CBT mode.
- There shall be 60 questions totally from MCQs, multiple select questions and numerical answer type of questions.
- The question paper shall be set in English language only.
- IIT JAM consists of 7 papers totally including a new included paper of Economics.
- Total marks for IIT JAM is 100 marks.
- Negative marking is applicable only for Section 1.
The section-wise breakdown of marks and questions is tabulated below:
|Section name||Number of questions||Types of questions||Total marks|
|Section 3||20||Numerical answer types||30|
IIT JAM 2021 Syllabus
The IIT JAM is not restricted to certain subjects alone. Questions may appear from a variety of topics from biology, biotechnology, chemistry, physics, maths, geology etc. Some of the important topics under a few subjects are given below:
- Geology – Topics include geomorphology, earth’s structural geology, palaeontology, stratigraphy, economic and applied geology, petrology, mineralogy etc
- Static Maths – topics include differential calculus, integral calculus, matrices, sequences and series, probable, variables and distribution, estimation and hypothesis, etc
- Chemistry – Topics include theory of gases, electrochemistry, organic reactions, natural products, organic chemistry, aromatic and heterocyclic chemistry, chemical bonding, analytical chemistry, etc.
- Biotechnology – General biology, biochemistry, physiology, basic biotechnology, etc.
- Maths – variables, integral calculations, calculus, linear algebra, group theory, real numbers and sequences, etc.
- Physics – Optics, Oscillation waves, Matter and its properties, kinetics theory and thermodynamics, electricity and mechanism, electronics and modern physics, etc.
IIT JAM 2021 Preparation Tips
Candidates must read through these useful tips and apply them in their preparation process to achieve high results:
- Be aware of the exam pattern, types of questions syllabus and any changes made to them from time to time.
- Mock test attempts and previous year question papers provide a very good understanding of the different types of questions that may appear in the paper.
- Prepare a good time table and try to cover all important topics in the syllabus.
- Have discussions with peers who have already attempted IIT JAM so you will have clarity about the way the exam is conducted.
- Write down notes and prepare quick points for revision.
- Try to study from recommended books as the syllabus is vast and consist of a variety of subjects.
- Read from NCERT textbooks for achieving good fundamental knowledge about different topics.
IIT JAM 2021 Admit Card
From 5th January 2021 onwards, candidates can download admit card online from the website. Candidates must carry the admit card along with a valid Photo ID card to the exam hall. Without the admit card, candidates shall not be allowed to attempt the exam. Candidates must verify all details and sort out any discrepancies that may arise with the candidate details and exam information.
IIT JAM 2021 Answer Key
In the last week of February 2021, candidates can download the preliminary answer keys in the online mode. Candidates can roughly estimate their scores by comparing their answers against the answer key. Challenges and objections against the preliminary key may be raised with valid proof of correct answers. After sorting out objections, the final answer key shall be published on a later date.
IIT JAM 2021 Result
From 20th March 20221, candidates shall be able to download their results in the online mode. The scorecard would be made available from 27th March to 31st July 2021. Every candidate shall receive an All India Ranking or AIR for each test paper he has attempted. A separate tie-breaking policy shall be adopted by IIT JAM officials for awarding ranking to candidates scoring same marks. Candidates having a higher percentage of positive marks as compared to the negative marking ratio shall be awarded higher ranking. In case this criterion fails, candidates having the same scores would be awarded the same ranking too.
IIT JAM 2021 Merit List
The IIT JAM merit lists are announced simultaneously with the result. Each test paper provides an AIR for the candidate. The All India merit list is prepared by keeping in mind a number of factors. It depends on the total number of seats available under different categories – OBC-NCL, EWS, SC, ST and Pwd per subject. Candidates whose names appear in the merit list shall be eligible to apply in any of the IITs and IISC. Merit list shall also be prepared category-wise, according to the category declared by the candidate in his application form.
IIT JAM 2021 Cut off
Based on the cut off marks released by IIT JAM, candidates find their names in the merit list and get selected for further rounds. Candidates need to secure minimum qualifying marks in each subject to proceed for further rounds of admission. Based on the cut off marks secured by the candidate, he/she shall be called in for counselling. IITs, IISC and all participating institutions prepare their own merit lists for offering admissions to students.
IIT JAM 2021 Counselling
Candidates whose names appear in the merit list shall be called in for counselling. Counselling is conducted in the online mode. Admission form should be filled after result declaration. First admission form shall be available online from 16th June 2021. By paying the admission fee of INR 600, candidates can select courses according to their order of preference, percentage secured, category and qualification. Between 15th to 28th April 2021, the admission forms shall be released and candidates are requested to carry original documents along with them for admission process.