The Indian Air Force Personnel (Bharatiya Vayu Sena) serve the country in various missions based on non-military grounds, warfare, rescuing people during natural calamities and other combat missions. To commemorate their efforts and service towards the country, we celebrate Indian Air Force Day.
When is Indian Air Force Day 2021?
Every year, 8th October is the date when we celebrate Indian Air Force Day. This year marks the 89th anniversary of the IAF celebration. The Indian Armed Forces are among the most powerful, advanced, prestigious military units and designated as the fourth-best in the world. This day is dedicated to celebrate air force achievements during warfare, non-military operations, surveillance missions and more.
Why Indian Air Force Day is Celebrated?
History was re-created on October 8th in 1932, when the Indian Air Force (IAF) was officially set up in our country. This eventful day is celebrated every year at the Hindon Base in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh. Dignitaries, including the Air force chief and chiefs of other armed forces, participate in the event. The day serves as an awareness meet about the role and importance of the Air Force for a country’s security and protection.
The inception of the IAF as a subsidiary arm of the Royal British Air Force took place with the Indian Air Force Act’s enactment in the same year 1932. At that time, our country was still ruled by the British; hence squadrons for planes were co-assigned with RAF Commanding officers. The first squadron was set up in the year 1933 by the name of No. 1 squadron. It took off with four biplanes called Westland Wapiti and five pilots from India only.
After India got independence, the Royal Air Force was bifurcated into two divisions – the Royal Indian Air force and Royal Pakistan Air Force in 1947. The IAF has played significant roles during the first Kashmir War in 1947, Congo Crisis in 1961, Sino- Indian War in 1962, Second Kashmir War in 1965, Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971, and Kargil in 1999 and their operations continue to provide striking blows to enemy counterparts.
Indian Air Force Day 2021 Theme
There are no specific themes adjudged for every passing year. However, the celebrations are themed in tune with the air displays showcased as part of celebrations held country-wide.
- The theme of Indian Air Force Day 2021 is undecided yet. The year 2020 theme was “the untiring efforts and supreme sacrifices of its personnel”.
- 2019 had an underlying theme titled “Know Your Air Force”. It had variety in its display of majestic commando forces ‘Garud’, ambassadors, IAF helicopters, sky diving teams, special operations team, missile systems, combat units and radar structures.
- The year 2018 displayed great prowess in the skies with many aircraft like Tejas LCA, Jaguar, Sarang helicopters, many fighter aircraft, IAS paratroopers, military transport aircraft, sky diving teams etc.
- The year 2017 displayed Scandinavian air show teams, Indian aerobatic teams Sarang and Surya Kiran showing stellar performances, other acrobatic performers showed “Dance of daredevils” that lit up the skies.
Indian Air Force Day 2021 Celebrations
- Events to create public awareness regarding the role of the air force in maintaining the nation’s national security.
- Air force stations begin preparations at their respective airbases many months before the eventful day.
- A hollow square parade is conducted as a symbolic note of thanksgiving to every arm of the air force, including the Commander’s civilian division in chief of the IAF.
- A significant part of the day’s celebrations is paying tributes to all the warriors who sacrificed their lives in offering their service to the nation.
- Medals, awards and honours to appreciate talented personnel and encourage them to achieve greater heights in their duty are conducted.
- Air shows at different air bases in different parts of the country organise eventful displays for the public.
- On a light note, personnel from different cadres get together for social evenings and have a good time with each other.
Indian Air Force Day 2021 Significance
All Indians have to stand by Bharatiya Vayu Sena’s motto, which says “Touching the sky with glory”. Our air force squadrons have been part of various missions since the Air force began its operations formally. They have proved their mettle in challenging situations like warfare; they have displayed extreme courage in natural calamities to rescue humans in trouble.
Apart from these basic action plans, they are always sought out for many missions on the go. Every challenging task is accepted and taken care of by our air force personnel with full duty consciousness, responsibility and service towards our nation.
The President of India takes over the dual role as commander-in-chief of all our armed forces, including the Air force. For working purposes, the Air force has been structurally defined into various functional units. They have seven operational commands under them. Five groups belong to the operational category, and two others come under the technical divisions.
The most advanced Air force features were digitally enabled in 2010 with a fully functional Air Force Network (AFNET). This is a highly specialised and meticulous grid to receive and respond to threats and external suspicions. As India’s citizens, we should encourage and support offices serving at different air force units and appreciate their duty and efforts for our nation. Happy Indian Air Force Day 🙂