What is IFS Exam or Indian Foreign Service?
The IFS officers deal with the country’s external affairs such as diplomacy, trade and cultural relations. To become IFS officers, the candidates are considered to qualify IFS exam conducted under the supervision of UPSC.
IFS is the diplomatic civil service under Group A and Group B. The fact is that the members selected in the IFS exam represent the country in international territory.
In fact, this service is different from other government services as it only related to trade, diplomacy, and cultural relations. The significant motive of this service is to develop foreign policies and management of Indian missions abroad.
Important Dates for Indian Foreign Service exam
It is significant to know to all participants about the important dates for the IFS exam. Make sure to keep these dates with you until the last process becomes finished.
|IFS Exam 2019 Events||Date|
|Date of notification||February 2019|
|Online registration start date||First week of February 2019|
|Online registration end date||3rd week of March 2019|
|Issue date of Admit card||Last week of May 2019|
|Preliminary exam date||First week of May 2019|
|Preliminary exam result date||Last week of June 2019|
|Date of Main exam admit card||First week of October 2019|
|Main exam date||November–December 2019|
|Main exam result date||First month of 2020 (January)|
|Date of Interview||February to April 2020|
|Final Result date||June 2020|
The interested participated should be either of the following:
- Citizen of India
- The subject of Nepal or Bhutan
- A Tibetan refugee who must come to India before January 1, 1962, with an intention to be permanently settled over here. Moreover, migrating from any of the following countries for permanently settling in India is also eligible to get participated- Pakistan, Burma, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, and Vietnam
Eligibility Criteria as per Educational Qualification
The candidates are considered to earn the degrees from the recognised universities or must have an equivalent qualification such as Decision-making ability, Skills Required, Good communication skills, Leadership ability, Good analytical ability, and Excellent knowledge about foreign nations and current affairs.
Age Limit to attempt Indian Foreign Service
|Age Limit to attempt IFS exam 2019||The minimum age is 21 years while the maximum will be 30 years as on 1st of August in the year of examination.|
Moreover, the relaxable age limit is also given by the UPSC as per the religious:
|For participates come from the State of Jammu & Kashmir||Maximum 5 years|
|For SC/ST candidates||Maximum 5 years|
|For OBC candidates||Maximum 3 years|
|For Defence Services personnel||Maximum 5 years|
|For Ex-servicemen comprising Commissioned officers and ECOs/SSCOs who have completed at least 5 years Military Service and have been released.||Maximum 5 years|
|For the Blind, deaf-mute and Orthopaedically handicapped participants||Maximum 10 years|
|For ECOs/SSCOs who have completed an initial period of assignment of 5 years of Military Service.||Maximum 5 years|
Furthermore, the maximum number of attempts is also given by the UPSC as per category:
|For General Category Candidates||Only 7 will be allowed|
|For Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe (SC/ST) Category Candidates||Only 9 will be allowed|
|For Other Backward class (OBC) category candidates||No restriction|
Admit card to attempt IFS civil service exam 2019
Before attempting IFS exam 2019, the participants are considered to download Admit card for the preliminary exam of IFS, which is going to be conducted 02-07-2019, whereas the Mains examination will be held on 09-09-2019. To download the admit card, the participants are considered to take the help of the following links.
Moreover, the admit card can issue before 3 weeks of the examination date, but it is mandatory to download, otherwise, candidates will not be allowed to enter in the examination hall.
Furthermore, only those candidates will get the admit card who had filled up the application form. To get an instant download, click on www.upsc.gov.in.
UPSC IFS 2019 Application Form
To attempt IFS exam 2019, it is mandatory to fill up the application form. It is noted that to fill up the application form of any UPSC civil service exam, the candidates should take the help of online mode only. To fill up the application form, kindly follow the below-written steps:
- Open the official website of UPSC i.e. www.upsconline.nic.in
- Then select and download the application form for the IFS exam.
- Fill up all the options carefully as well as accurately.
- Make sure to pay the application fee, otherwise requested application will not consider valid.
Moreover, keep remembering the following factors while filling up IFS 2019 application form
- Participants are cautioned to submit a single application only.
- In certain unavoidable conditions, if more than an application form will be submitted, the applicant should make sure that the application with higher RID (Registration ID) is entire in all respects.
- Participants working in Government Service, Government owned business undertakings or different comparable establishments or in non-public employment ought to publish their application form directly to the Commission.
IFS UPSC 2019 Exam Pattern
To crack IFS UPSC exam 2019, the participants are requested to do hard work, else they will not be able to be a part of the IFS team. Moreover, the following describe pattern is needed to remember while preparing for the IFS exam 2019:
1. The pattern of IFS exam 2019 for CSE Prelims
Paper 1: General Studies: In this, there will be 100 questions. Only 2 hours will be given to solve all these questions. The maximum marks will be 200.
Paper 2: Aptitude test: In this, there will be 80 questions. Only 2 hours will be given to solve all these questions. The maximum marks will be 200.
The Prelims IFS exam 2019 is basically a screening test and its performance is not added while ranking the final selection. It tests a candidate’s knowledge of current affairs as well as general awareness.
2. The pattern of IFS exam 2019 for CSE Mains
In CSE Main IFS exam 2019, there will be 6 papers and total will be 1400 marks. The Mains is the 2nd stage of this UPSC Civil Services Exam.
It is designed to analyse the academic intelligence of the participants and to gauge his potential to show critical thoughts clearly in written format.
3. Personal Interview
The final round of IFS exam will be an interview. It is basically conducted to test a candidate’s personality whether he is suitable for a public office or not.
Mental alertness, the balance of judgement, and moral integrity, social cohesion, potential to analyse a situation critically, are some key requisite skills that should be in the Indian Foreign Service officer.
Hence, while taking or assessing the participants, these factors take into consideration. Moreover, personal interview carries a total of 300 marks.
Syllabus of IFS exam
The IFS exam 2019 will cover the wide syllabus. The participants are recommended to take the help of UPSC official website to get the entire syllabus in an accurate manner. Moreover, they can get the help of the following link if they want instant syllabus to prepare IFS civil service exam 2019.
Roles and Responsibilities of Indian Foreign Service
The fact is that the Indian Foreign Service deals with diplomacy, trade and cultural relations of the country. Lets’ have a look at the roles and responsibilities of IFS officers:
Roles of IFS officers:
- The role of an IFS or Indian Foreign Service officer is a challenging and promising one.
- He will handle and supervise all diplomatic relations between India and of the country they are appointed.
- He will establish and supervise economic cooperation between India and other countries
- He will represent India on international forums and in the countries, he will get appointed. Moreover, an IFS officer is playing a vital role in shaping Indian foreign policy and establishing all diplomatic and economic ties with countries
- He will consecutively update Indian MEA office about recent developments and other significant matters.
Responsibilities of IFS officers:
- He will protect India’s national interests in the country
- He will improve and enhance friendship between India and other countries
- He will inform about the developments in the foreign country that may affect India’s policy
Hence, the selection process of IFS officers will take a long time. As of now, only 800 IFS officers have been selected and appointed. The participants need to do work hard to grab their positions. Nothing is impossible. Only hard work as well as accurate knowledge, will help you to become an IFS officer 2019.
Moreover, the above-written article is providing you all the necessary knowledge such as eligibility, admit card, application form, syllabus, exam pattern, etc. to crack the IFS exam. To get more information, kindly put your query in the below-mentioned comment box. You will serve very soon.
Good luck to all participants!