The Indian Information Services or IIS Officers are administered by the Ministry of Defence (Directorate of Public Relations). The main tasks allotted to these officers are not limited to constitute a press party, organise national and international festivals, manage official media, control government’s print media, Union Ministries, electronic media, advertising agency, etc.
To become IIS officers, the candidates need to clear IIS 2019 exam. For which, all the requirements in term of eligibility, admit card, application form, exam pattern, syllabus, etc. are written in the following article.
Important dates for Indian Information Services 2019
|Start date of IIS application process||19th February 2019|
|Closing date of IIS application process||18th March 2019|
|Release date of IIS admit card (Prelims)||2nd week of May 2019|
|Date (Prelims) of UPSC IIS Civil services exam 2019||2nd June 2019|
|Result (prelims) of IIS 2019 exam||1st week of August 2019|
|Mains Exam IIS notification date||2nd week of August 2019|
|Release of admit card (Mains) date||1st week of September 2019|
|Date (Mains) of UPSC Civil services exam 2019||20th September 2019|
|Result (Mains) of IIS exam 2019||1st week of December 2019|
|Final Results of IIS 2019 exam||May 2020|
UPSC Eligibility Criteria for Indian Information Services Exam
Academic Eligibility Criteria for IIS Exam
- The candidate must have a bachelor degree from any of the Universities registered by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or considered to be deemed as a University as per Section-3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956, or contains an equivalent qualification.
- Candidates who have appeared or going to be appear for the final examination or their results are awaited will also be eligible to apply for the Preliminary Examination only. Moreover, for qualifying the Mains, the candidates must have a proof of Pass Bachelor Degree that should be attached with the application of the Main examination.
- Candidates possess technical and professional bachelor’s degrees recognised by the Government are also eligible to apply for this civil service exam.
- Candidates qualified the final year but are yet to complete the internship are also eligible to appear for the Main Examination. But for this, they must get a certificate from the concerned University / Institution showing that they have passed the final examination along with their Main Examination application.
- A candidate may be a citizen of India
- A candidate may be citizen of Bhutan
- A candidate may be citizen of Nepal
- A candidate must be migrated from Sri Lanka or East African Countries of the United Republic of Tanzania, Pakistan, Burma, Zambia, Kenya, Uganda, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the objective of permanently residing in India.
- A candidate may be a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 01st January, 1962 with the objective of permanently residing in India.
Age limit for IIS Exam
|Minimum age to attempt IIS UPSC exam||21 years|
|Maximum age to attempt IIS UPSC exam||32 years|
Upper age limit relaxation to attempt IIS exam
|A candidate belongs to a Scheduled Caste (SC) or a Scheduled Tribe (ST)||Maximum 5 years relaxation|
|A candidate belonging to Other Backward Classes (OBC)||Maximum 3 years relaxation|
|In the case of Defence Services personnel||Maximum 5 years relaxation|
|A candidate had ordinarily been domiciled in the State of Jammu & Kashmir (from the 1st January, 1980 to the 31st December, 1989)||Maximum 5 years relaxation|
|In the case of ex-servicemen comprising Commissioned Officers and ECOs/SSCOs who have completed at least 5 years Military Service as on 1st August, 2018||Maximum 5 years relaxation|
|In the case of blind, deaf-mute and orthopedically handicapped candidates||Maximum 10 years relaxation|
Maximum attempts allowed
|Category||Maximum Attempts Allowed|
|OBC (Other Backward Class)||09|
Admit card for IIS UPSC exam 2019
To attempt IIS UPSC exam 2019, the candidates should have admit card. The date of release of a admit card for Prelims will be 2nd week of May 2019. However, the admit card for Mains will be released from the 1st week of September 2019.
The candidates without admit card will not be allowed to sit in the examination hall. It should be noted that for all every candidate an admit card is mandatory. Moreover, to download the admit card, the candidates can take the help of official website of UPSC.
Once downloaded, they need to printout this as hard copy is required to show before commencement of the examination. To get instant downloading of the admit card IIS exam 2019, make sure to take the help of the following link.
Application form for IIS UPSC exam 2019
It is mandatory to fill up the application form for every civil service exam. For attempting the Indian Information Service exam 2019, the candidates are considered to fill up the application form by way of online only. It should be noted that the mode for filling up the application form will be online only, offline applications will not be accepted.
For an application, the candidates can take the help of official web portal of UPSC, from which, they can download the application form for filling up the requested information.
The candidates are considered to write down all the accurate information in term of their age qualification, etc., else application will be rejected. Once done with requested information, the candidates will have to pay the application fee as written over there. Otherwise, their application will be considered incomplete.
Indian Information Services exam pattern
There will be three exams, in which the Main examination will be given only if Preliminary exam get cleared. Moreover, the final outcome will consider the marks of Main test and Interview stage only.
- Phase I – Preliminary Test
- Phase II – Main Test
- Phase III – Interview Stage
1. Civil Service IIS Preliminary Pattern and Syllabus
The preliminary exam will be the first step towards becoming the Indian Information Services or IIS officer. It acts a primary mechanism for selection of candidates for the Main Examination.
It is a screening test that will have two compulsory papers of 200 marks each (General Studies Paper I and – Aptitude Test Paper II) for 2 hours. The questions that will come will be of multiple choice and objective type. Moreover, the marks obtained in Prelims will not be used for the final ranking, just for qualifying the main exam.
The paper I of Prelims exam will include the areas like Indian National Movement, Geography, Indian Polity, Basic Economic Understanding, etc. and Paper II will include reasoning, analytical ability, mathematics, and interpersonal skills. The candidates need to score 33% to get qualified for the Mains.
In the Preliminary exam, it should be noted that there will be negative marking. For every wrong answer, 1/3rd of marks will be cut from the total marks. Thereby, the candidates must be careful while attempting the questions.
2. Civil Service IIS Main Exam Pattern and Syllabus
For IIS Main exam, there will be 9 papers and duration will be 3 hours each. Among these 9 papers, Paper A (Indian Language) and Paper B (English) will be considered significant and will be of 300 marks each.
The candidates need to avail 25% at least to get eligible for Main Interview. Moreover, the rest of the papers will be of 250 marks. The total will be 1750 marks.
To get the syllabus for Prelims and Main examinations, the candidates are requested to take the help of the following links.
3. Civil Service IIS or Indian Information Services Personal test
Interview or personal test will be the final stage of IIS exam. This interview round will be taken by the members of the USPC board only. The total number of marks will be 275.
This round will check the overall personality of the candidates in term of communication skills, intellectual capabilities, etc. Moreover, the final selection will be based on marks obtained in an interview and Main examination.
The result of the IIS exam 2019 will be finally declared on May 2020. It will publish online only on the official website of UPSC.
How to prepare for IIS exam?
The preparation of IIS exam is mandatory. The participants must be very careful at the time of preparation. They can take the help of previous year question papers as well as important questions. For this, they can click on this link.
This tactic will endow them to know about the pattern, difficulty level, etc. They need to maintain a timetable which should be followed strictly.
The fact is that to crack IIS exam is not a daunting task. The students need to have a look at the above-mentioned information and they can ask more queries in a comment box to qualify this civil service exam.
Best of Luck! 🙂