Enrolment of girls in higher education is a growing norm these days. Earlier girls used to shy away from pursuing higher education and used to settle for basic education or, at the most, reach up till graduation. With changing times and more awareness about the need for education, career, and financial independence for women, we see an increase in enrolment.
The government is supportive in this regard and has introduced many schemes to empower women to achieve higher in the field of education. The Indira Gandhi single girl child scholarship is meant for girls willing to pursue post-graduation studies. It is offered by UGC, a pioneer in distance education in India. The UGC, in collaboration with the Ministry of HRD, the government of India is promoting this prospective scholarship for Indian girls.
Girls who are the only child in their families may apply for such a lucrative scheme and reap various benefits from this scholarship. The Indira Gandhi single girl child scholarship provides monetary benefits to girls pursuing post-graduation, and various details regarding this scheme can be understood in this article. In the following sections, we deal with every part of this scholarship in greater detail.
We talk about the important dates associated with this scholarship, the eligibility criteria to be fulfilled, the detailed application process, documents needed to submit along with the application, various rewards offered for selected students, terms and conditions meant for this scholarship, important FAQs and contact details. Let’s understand each section one after the other.
Indira Gandhi Scholarship 2020 – Overview
|Provided by||University Grants Commission (UGC)|
|Scholarship Name||Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child|
|Eligible Standards||Only female candidates can apply.|
|Scholarship Amount||INR 36,200|
Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship – Important Dates
Candidates need to pen down these important dates for the purpose of the application. Whenever an applicant misses an important date, there is no way he can get back and apply for a scholarship again. Hence keep track of deadlines and apply well within the stipulated time.
- Deadline to submit completed application forms – End of January.
- Last date to report any errors in applications – By the mid of February.
- Deadline for conducting application verification from institutes – By Mid of February.
Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship – Eligibility Criteria
All candidates interested in applying for Indira Gandhi single girl child scholarship should carefully look into these eligibility conditions. They are very important from the applicant’s perspective, and any candidate not fulfilling these norms should stay back and not proceed further to apply. Important eligibility conditions are cited below:
- Only female candidates can apply.
- Candidate should be the only girl child of her family.
- The age of the candidate should be less than 30 years of age.
- Candidate should be willing to pursue post-graduation in a discipline of her choice.
- Candidate should have sought admission into a PG or a full-time master’s course at a recognized university.
- The course should be pursued in full time and must be a regular course only.
- Distance courses and courses being pursued from open universities are not accepted.
Indira Gandhi Scholarship Application Process – How to Apply?
So far, candidates have understood the important dates to apply for the scholarship and the various eligibility criteria to fulfill. Now let’s come to the most important part of the article. In this section, we discuss the detailed application procedure to apply for the Indira Gandhi single girl child scholarship. Take a look at this section in a step-by-step manner:
- Apply to the Indira Gandhi single girl child scholarship through online means by visiting the National scholarship portal.
- Go to the homepage and click on new registration.
- Read through every point provided in the guidelines, understand them. Read the declaration and accept it. Click on continue.
- In the registration form, enter all important details like domicile of the candidate, category, type of scheme applying for, applicant’s name and date of birth, contact details, etc.
- In the following section, provide bank details like bank name, account number, IFSC code of branch, and other related details.
- Provide your Aadhaar number, validate it, and thereby click on the ‘Register’ button.
- To your registered mobile number, an OTP will be sent.
- Log into the NSP portal again with the OTP just received.
- Enter the application form area. Fill in all the details correctly.
- Scan documents and upload them in the correct size and format specified.
- Submit the completed application form.
- Candidates shall receive applicant ID and password.
- Save submitted application form for future references.
Key Documents Required For Indira Gandhi Scholarship
Now that candidates have understood the application process, it’s time to gather all the necessary documents that should be uploaded with the application form. Without uploading documents, forms shall not be accepted. Also, care has to be taken to upload them in the right size and format specified on the NSP portal; else, there are chances of the form getting rejected.
Here’s the list of documents for Indira Gandhi single girl child scholarship:
- Aadhaar card
- Income certificate of parents
- 10th and 12th mark sheets.
- Graduation mark sheets and certificate.
- Domicile certificate.
- Recent passport size photo of the candidate
- Fee receipt issued by the educational institution
- Affidavit/declaration citing the status of being a single girl child.
Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship – Rewards & Benefits
In the section below, we discuss the various rewards and benefits that selected candidates shall receive as part of their scholarship offer. The scholarship is given away in the form of a financial grant, and the amount shall be credited to the candidate through DBT or direct benefit transfer. The scholarship grant amount awarded for Indira Gandhi’s single girl child scholarship is INR 36,200. It is an annual grant amount. The amount is given yearly for two years. Nearly 3000 girls pursuing post-graduation are benefited from this scheme.
Indira Gandhi Scholarship – Terms & Conditions
Every candidate should be acquainted with certain terms and conditions that act as the basic rules and regulations for this scholarship. Before going to the application section, candidates are advised to read through the eligibility conditions and then the terms and conditions. After understanding them, candidates should see if they qualify in them or not. Later, they may proceed to make the online application process. Some of the important terms and conditions for Indira Gandhi single girl child scholarship are given below:
- Candidates pursuing post-graduation courses other than full-time courses should strictly not apply.
- It is the responsibility of the institution to verify its student’s candidature and confirm them within the deadline specified.
- Grant of the scholarship is subject to the validation of Aadhaar number of candidate
- Application forms shall be complete in all respects. Missing out important factual information or providing fake information in applications is duly not accepted. Such applications shall be rejected.
- Students should maintain prescribed and consistent merit records. Those who fail to clear exams shall not receive the financial grant.
- The university grants commission shall monitor all students covered under the scholarship scheme. They may conduct the supervision of students from time to time.
- Change, of course, after the scholarship grant is permitted.
- Maintaining a good attendance track record is mandatory.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I have made few spelling errors while entering my address details in the application form, can I change it later on?
There is no way to modify your application form after hitting the submit button. All changes need to be made before pressing the submit button on the application form.
- In case there are mistakes in my application form, can I make a new application form for the same request?
No. This isn’t acceptable. Only one application form per candidate registration is allowed. Multiple application forms for a candidate shall lead to rejection of a student’s candidature.
- I belong to the socially backward class. Can I request for additional grant amount to the scholarship committee?
No. The grant amount is common and fixed. No additional grant amount shall be provided whatsoever.
- I have a younger brother in my family, but I’m the only girl child. Can I go ahead with my application?
No, you cannot, candidates who are single girl child of their family without siblings can apply.
- Can I apply for other scholarships if I’ve applied/ been selected for this scholarship scheme?
Yes, you may apply for other scholarships too.
For all enquiries that a candidate may have, the following contact details may be noted:
Address: UGC, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi – 110 002.
Phone number: 0120-6619540.