What is IRAS Exam?
Needless to say that UPSC conducts many exams to recruit government officers for different positions in India. One of them, the most popular as well as a dream for many candidates are known as the Indian Railway Accounts Service (IRAS). In brief, IRAS is a Civil Service or competitive exam in India, which is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission to recruit officers for Indian Railway Accounts Service in India.
The Indian Railway Accounts Service or IRAS is a Group ‘A’ Central Service of the Government of India who is liable for the Accounts and Finance Management in the Indian Railways. To get recruited as an IRAS 2019 officers, the candidates can take the help of this article which has been framed entirely to deliver all the significant information such as admission process, admit card, etc.
Important Dates for IRAS
|Issue Date for official notification||7th February 2018|
|Commencing of Online Registration||First Week of February|
|Closing of Online Submission||06-03-2018|
|Date of Admin card for IRAS||Three Weeks Before The Examination Starts|
|Date of Civil Services Preliminary Examination||03-06-2018|
|Result of IRAS Preliminary Examination||In The Month of July|
|UPSC IRAS Main 2019 Exam Duration||28-09-2018, 29-09-2018, 30-09-2018, 06-10-2018,07-10-2018|
Eligibility Criteria to qualify IRAS 2019
To fill up application form IRAS 2019 exam, the candidate should check their eligibility as per nationality:
- He/she should be a citizen of India
- He/she should belong to Nepal or Bhutan
- He/she may be a Tibetan refugee who came to India before January 1, 1962, for permanently residing in India.
- He/she may migrate from any of the following countries for permanently residing in India: Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Ethiopia and Vietnam.
Eligibility Criteria to qualify IRAS 2019 as per Educational Qualification
- He/she must hold a Bachelor’s Degree from any of the universities or institutes which are recognised by the UGC or its equivalent
- He/she must have appeared or to appear for the qualifying examination.
- He/ she can attempt or appear for the Preliminary Examination if his/her results are awaited.
- He/she may have passed the final year of MBBS or any Medical Examination. The students who have completed their medical degree yet, but the internship is still pending can appear for this civil service exam. For this, they must have a certificate showing that they are eligible or cleared their medical exam.
- He/she has a professional and technical qualification recognised by the Government or its equivalent can apply for IRAS 2019 as well.
Age Limit to qualify IRAS Exam
- He/She must have reached the age of 21 years
- He/She must not have reached above the age of 32 years on the 1st of August, 2015.
Moreover, there is a relaxation provided by UPSC to attempt the IRAS 2019 as per caste
- For SC/ST, it is 5 years
- For OBC (Other Backward Classes), it is 3 years
- For Defence Services personnel, it is 3 years
- For ECOs/SSCOs, it is 5 years
- For blind, handicapped, deaf or orthopedically persons it is 10 years
- For ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers who have rendered at least five years Military Service as on 1st August 2015, it is 5 years
- For candidate had ordinarily been domiciled in the State of Jammu & Kashmir (from the 1st January 1980 to the 31st December 1989), it is 5 years.
Furthermore, the UPSC has provided a particular limit to attempt IRAS 2019 exam
- For General candidates, it will be 6 attempts only.
- For Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe candidates, there will be no limit. They can attempt IRAS for the number of times.
- For OBC (Other backward classes), it will 9 attempts only.
Application form IRAS 2019 exam
Needless to say that to attempt any civil service exam, there is always a need for filling up the application form. These same criteria are valid for IRAS or Indian Railway Accounts Service exam 2019.
The fact is that since 2015, the application form to fill up IRAS exam has been changed to online mode from offline. Hence, all the candidates are requested to fill up an online application form only. For this, they can use the official web portal of UPSC i.e. www.upsconline.nic.in.
Steps to fill up the application form for URSC IRAS exam 2019?
Let’s have a look at the process to fill up the application form to attempt IRAS exam 2019. The fact is that process is simple but students should fill information that is accurate and valid, otherwise, their application will be rejected:
- He/she is needed to open www.upsconline.nic.in
- He/she is recommended to submit a single application only. In a case of double application, both will be rejected.
- Once opened the application form, he/she will download the application form for IRAS exam 2019 (you can take the help of the following link to download IRAS 2019 exam).
- Once downloaded, fill up all the required information accurately.
- Click on submit button and save the form for future reference.
Moreover, government candidates may also fill the application form of IRAS 2019, but they should get permission from their employees in the form of the application signed by them.
The candidates belong to private employment can also fill up the application for IRAS exam 2019 directly to the commission.
Admit Card for IRAS exam 2019
Once done with the application form, the next would be to download e-admit card 2019 to attempt Prelims as well as Main Exam. It should be noticed that without having an admit card, the candidates will not suppose to enter the examination hall for IRAS 2019 exam. Moreover, to download prelims e-admit card, you can get the help of the following link:
Moreover, the candidates are allowed to download e-Admission Certificate only before 3 weeks of the examination. Let’s find out the steps needed to download e-admit card for attempting IRAS 2019:
- Open the official web portal https://upsconline.nic.in
- Click on the e-admit card
- After this, read the instructions carefully and click on the yes button.
- Fill up registration ID or Roll number.
- Finally, download the admit card IRAS 2019 exam and make sure to take the printout of the same.
Syllabus and pattern to attempt and qualify IRAS Exam
The main objective of the IRAs exam is to recruit candidates for Indian Railway Accounts Service. The fact is that different government posts have a different syllabus. The syllabus to qualify IRAS 2019 exam can be downloaded by way of the following link.
The pattern for IRAS civil service exam 2019
The pattern for IRAS 2019 exam has been designed to examine the academic expertise of a candidate. It tests the candidate’s ability in terms of intellectual traits and understanding level.
Civil Service Examination Pattern
The pattern of Civil service examination has been designed to test the academic expertise of a candidate and that candidate’s ability to present himself/herself in a systematic and coherent manner. The examination pattern intends to assess the overall intellectual traits and understanding level of the candidates. Moreover, IRAS exam is conducted in three parts: Prelims, Mains, and Interview.
Preliminary exam: This will be the first exam out of 3. It will be about 400 words. Moreover, Prelims will contain two papers each will be 200 words. There will multiple types of questions you will find on the prelims exam. For blind candidates, 20 minutes extra will be provided for each paper.
Main Examination: This exam will be attempted only by the candidates who will have cleared the Prelims exam. The Main exam will be about 2025 Marks. The candidates who will clear the Main examination IRAS 2019 will be qualified for Interview.
Interview: This step will judge the general knowledge, confidence level, and competencies of the candidates. The final result of the interview will depend on the marks obtained from the Main examination and interview.
Roles and responsibilities of an IRAS officer
The primary duties and responsibilities of an IRAS officer are not limited to the following. He/she will be eligible to perform the duties prescribed. The significant duties of an IRAS officer include handling the Accounts and Finance department as well as providing financial advice to the executive. Other duties of IRAS include:
- Supervising and maintaining Indian Railways accounts
- Analyzing and preparing budgets
- Conducting periodical financial reviews
- Estimating and deciding all investment and expenditure proposals
- Supervising accounts and bookkeeping for railways.
- Examine stocks and inventory control.
Hence, it has been clear that the process of becoming IRAS officer 2019 is simple and straightforward. For this, candidates need to have followed the process prescribed as above. If you are still finding any query for application process or admit card etc., you can ask in the following mentioned comment box.