Becoming an IRS officer is a dream of countless people. It will endow the people helping towards the nation. Being an IRS officer is great respect. The fact is that abundance of candidates takes to participate in this civil service exam but only a few get selected.
This article has been assembled with a goal to let the participants aware about the significant information that should be known before indulging in the IRS exam.
About IRS Exam
Indian Revenue Service (IRS) is a civil service exam in India conducted under the guidelines of UPSC. The basic objective of the IRS exam is to select the officers of the Revenue Department. It is one of the Group A services.
Around 1000 participants are selected for all the major all-India 24 services. In brief, the Indian Revenue Service is a Central Civil Service that executes under the Department of Revenue in the Union Ministry of Finance.
Moreover, it is concerned with the collection and management of the different direct and indirect taxes, following the same to the Union Government. Hence, to become a collector, commissioner, head of public sector units, chief secretary, the cabinet secretary, etc., it will be worthwhile to take participate in the IRS exam.
To know more about this civil service exam, keep reading this article. Here, you will find the important information about this exam regarding admission procedure, admit card, eligibility, syllabus etc.
Important dates to crack IRS 2019 India
|Date of Notification for IRS Civil Services||07-02-2018|
|Online Registration Start Date||First week of Feb.|
|End date of online submission||06-03-2018|
|Admit Card (Preliminary Examination)||Three week before the examination|
|Result of Preliminary Examination||In The Month of July|
|IRS Civil services main examination date||8-09-2018, 29-09-2018, 30-09-2018, 06-10-2018, 07-10-2018|
Eligibility criteria for IRS exam 2019
According to the latest information revealed by the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances, the upper age limit for attempting the IRS exam has increased up. Let’s look at the following table to access your age for attempting the IRS exam 2019.
|Category||Date||No. of Attempt|
|For SC/ST aspirants||35||Unlimited attempts|
|For OBC||37||9 attempts|
|For general category aspirants||32||6 attempts|
|For general Jammu and Kashmir domicile||37||6 attempts|
|For OBC Jammu and Kashmir domicile||42||9 attempts|
|For SC/ST Jammu and Kashmir domicile||42||Unlimited attempts|
|For PH (Physical handicap)||50||9 Attempts|
Moreover, the Indian government offers some relaxation for the Ex-serviceman with 5 years duty, 37 for the general category, 40 for the Other Backward Classes and forty two for the SC/ST (Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes).
Furthermore, the disabled Serviceman Discharged From Duty is also relaxed as 35 for the general, 38 for OBC and 40 for Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes.
There is some limitation for OBC and SC/ST candidates to attempt the IRS exam as follows
- Participants ought to belong to a Scheduled Caste or a Scheduled Tribe to a restrict of 5 years.
- Participants involved in Other Backward Classes (OBC) are eligible for this exam if they belong to that particular from last 3 years minimum
- In the case of the handicapped participates such as blind, deaf-mute and orthopedically handicapped persons have the disease from last 10 years.
- The Participants must be domiciled in the State of Jammu & Kashmir till 5 years that is throughout the length from the 1st January 1980 to the 31st December 1989.
- Participants should belong to a Scheduled Caste or a Scheduled Tribe till a limit of 5 years.
- In the case of the ECOs/SSCOs who’ve completed the infant duration of the task of five years Military Service as on 1st August 2015. Also, the participants whose undertaking are expanded beyond 5 years and in whose condition the Ministry of Defense problems a certificate that they could follow for civil employment.
Eligibility of participants for IRS exam as per academics
- The participants must hold a degree from the universities integrated by the Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other educational institutions.
- Participants who are waiting for their results will again eligible for this IRS Preliminary exam. For this, they must carry documents of proof of having cleared that exam along with their application for the Main Examination with them while indulging for the Mains examination.
- The medical students also get benefited from this civil service exam. The participants who have cleared the last year of MBBS or any other medical examination but yet pending for their internship can sit for this exam as well. For this, they should have the certificate from his/her authority of an institution that she/he has cleared the final professional medical examination along with their candidature application.
Moreover, on the basis of nationality, following citizens can attempt the IRS exam
- A participant should be either a citizen of India
- He/she should be from Nepal or Bhutan
- He or she should be a Tibetan refugee who came to India before 1st January 1962 with the thought of permanently residing in India.
- He or she may be from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam migrants with the thought of permanently residing in India.
Application form for IRS 2019
To get registered for the Indian Revenue Service or IRS exam, the participants are requested to fill up the application form IRS 2019. The recommended mode to apply for the application form is online. It will be worthwhile if participants can take the help of https://upsconline.nic.in/ to fill up their application form.
It is an official web portal recommended to apply online for the UPSC ITS exam. Moreover, no other mode is allowed to fill up the application form for the IRS exam to become IRS officers.
IRS admit card 2019
To attempt the IRS exam, admit card is mandatory. For this, the candidates are recommended download the admit card before 10 days of Indian Revenue Service exam, otherwise, they will not be eligible to attempt the IRS exam. To download IRS exam admit card, click on the following link.
Pattern and Syllabus of IRS exam 2019
The IRS exam 2019 will be of three parts:
- Preliminary exam
- Main exam
All these three rounds should be cleared to become an IRS officer.
1. Preliminary exam: In this exam of IRS, there will multiple choice questions that will evaluate General Studies and Aptitude of the candidates.
The Preliminary exam consists of a multiple choice question type of paper. In this paper candidate’s General Studies and Aptitude is going to be checked.
Civil Services Mains examination is a subjective paper. This paper checks a candidate on basically nine papers and an interview.
There are three levels in the Civil services Examination and it takes almost a year from preliminary examination test dates to the announcement of the UPSC results.
These levels are so-called phases of the UPSC exam. Every year, this exam is conducted in the month of August and the results are out normally in the mid of October. To attempt the Main exam of IRS, the candidates must clear Prelim exam.
2. IRS Main Exams: The IRS main exam is conducted in the month of December every year and its results are declared around in the month of March.
There will be 9 papers of long essay type questions will be asked in the main exam. Only after securing the minimum marks declared, the candidates will be considered to go for an interview.
3. Civil Services Personality Test: The personal test or interview will be the last round of IRS exam. It is organised in the month of May every year while the notifications for the same will be declared in the month of April. In brief, the successful completion of all these three exams will allow the candidates to be considered as IRS officers.
Moreover, to get more help regarding the syllabus of IRS exam 2019, the candidates are suggested to take the help of following links. All the syllabus available in this link are accurate and worthwhile.
Preparation tips for IRS exam 2019
- Take the help of important question and previous year question papers to crack this exam.
- Keep study the whole syllabus until all the concepts are covered.
- Make sure to focus on the basic, otherwise, you will forget the concepts soon.
- Make sure to revise the whole syllabus three to four times.
- Keep underlining the important as well as tough concepts.
- Make sure to prepare a suitable timetable, thereby, you will able to complete the whole syllabus.
Hence, it’s time to crack IRS exam 2019 with the help of above information as it will guide you about this exam from the beginning to the end. Good luck to all the participants looking ahead to crack this reputed civil exam in India.