Kerala PSC 2021: The Kerala Public Service Commission conducts the State Civil Service Exam to recruit candidates to various services of the Kerala state government. All candidates who are desirous of serving in the Kerala state government services of administrative cadre should write the Kerala PSC KAS exam. This article gives detail information about Kerala PSC 2021 notification that includes exam date, eligibility criteria, recruitment and application process, admit card, exam pattern, syllabus, result and more. The official website of the commission is keralapsc.gov.in. The Kerala Administrative Service recruitment is for candidates from three streams.
- Stream 1: Candidates seeking direct recruitment.
- Stream 2: Candidates who are already working in Kerala state government departments and applying for the Kerala Civil Service exam.
- Stream 3: This is for candidates who are already a gazetted officer
Kerala PSC 2021 Exam Dates
Important Note: Exam Dates are tentative in nature.
|Release of Official Notification||1st week of November 2020|
|Last Date to Submit Application Form||1st week of December 2020|
|Issue of Admit Card||January 2021|
|Prelims Examination||1st week of February 2021|
|Prelims Exam Result||1st week of May-June 2021|
|Availability of Application Form (Mains Examination)||1st – 2nd week of August 2021|
|Mains Examination||September and November|
Kerala PSC 2021 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for candidates vary according to the stream from where the candidate seeks recruitment from. Accordingly, they have to satisfy a few conditions and eligibility criteria before applying for the exam.
- Nationality: The candidate must be a citizen of India, plus permanent domicile of the state Kerala.
- Educational Qualification: All candidates should have obtained a bachelor’s degree, which can also include any professional degree from any university that is recognized by the government of India. (common for all three streams)
- Age Limit:
- Stream 1 – age of the candidate should be between 21 to 32 years.
- Stream 2 – age of the candidate should be between 21 to 40 years.
- Stream 3 – age of the candidate should be less than 50 years.
- Age Relaxation: Upper age limit is relaxed for candidates belonging to the reserved categories. Here is the breakdown list:
- SC/ST category – 5 years
- OBC category – 3 years
- Widows – 5 years
- Physically Disabled candidate – 10 years
- Differently-abled – 5 years
- Below poverty line – 3 years
Kerala PSC 2021 Application Form
The application procedure for the Kerala Civil Service is in online mode only. Below we have provided step by step application process in detail.
- Visit the official website – keralapsc.gov.in.
- Candidates need to register themselves; this process is called a one-time registration process, which is mandatory before applying to any post.
- After the one-time registration process, candidates can login into the online portal of the application.
- Candidates can click on the relevant exam link to fill in the application form.
- Enter all relevant details in the form like name, address, gender, category, education qualifications, etc.
- Upload scanned photo and signature.
- Pay relevant fees.
- Cross-check all the information and then submit the form.
- Download the acknowledgement.
- Make a note of the reference id/application id.
- Take a print copy of the submitted application form.
The application fee shall be subjected to change with time. The general application fee is INR 160.
Kerala PSC 2021 Exam Pattern
The KPSC conducts the State Civil Service Exam in three stages, namely the Prelims, Mains and Interview round.
Preliminary Exam Pattern
- Prelims Exam is only for qualifying purpose. It consists of two papers. i.e. General Studies and Language Proficiency.
- Both are Objective Type (MCQ) papers
- Duration for each paper is 90 minutes.
- The medium of paper will be English and Malayalam language.
|Paper I||General Studies||100||English||90 minutes|
|Paper II||General Studies||50||English||90 minutes|
|Language Proficiency||30||Malayalam/ Tamil/ Kannada|
- It is an explanatory and descriptive type of paper.
- The main exam consists of three papers, i.e. Paper I, II, and III.
- Each paper shall be conducted for 100 marks, and the duration will be 120 minutes for each.
- Candidates can write answers in either English or Malayalam language.
|I||100||English/ Malayalam||120 minutes|
|II||100||English/ Malayalam||120 minutes|
|III||100||English/ Malayalam||120 minutes|
- The interview is conducted for those candidates who have cleared the mains exam.
- The total marks of the interview are 50 marks.
Kerala PSC 2021 Syllabus
Below we have provided Kerala PSC Syllabus in detail. The most common and basic content of syllabus may include:
- Politics of post independent India.
- Knowledge about the heritage of India with emphasis of the 20th century.
- Present economic background of India
- Environmental issues and developmental aspects.
- Science and technology including basic knowledge of physics, chemistry, biology and maths( respective important topics)
- Economy of state Kerala.
- History of state Kerala and knowledge about the ancient and modern heritage of the state.
- Social, cultural aspects of modern and rural society.
- Issues related to food security
- Food security.
- Empowerment of women in past and present society.
- Geographical nature of state of Kerala.
- Role of non-residents of India
- Role of residents of India.
- Ecological land act, 2005
- Indian constitution
Important Note: Candidates are requested to check the official website for complete syllabus.
Kerala PSC 2021 Admit Card
The state commission shall issue separate admit cards for various stages of the exam. A few days before the commencement of any round of exams, the admit card shall be uploaded on the official website to download. Candidates need to carry admit card to the examination hall without fail, as it contains essential data of candidate like name, roll number allotted, photograph, signature and address of examination center allotted. Candidates may not be allowed to write the exam without admit card. The step by step process to download the admit card is given below
- Visit the official website and login to download the admit card.
- After login, click on the link that will allow download of admit card.
- Enter the registration number and date of birth details.
- Admit card shall be displayed.
Kerala PSC 2021 Cut Off
The commission shall decide the cut off marks after each round of exam. The cut off marks shall be displayed on the official website after the announcement of the results. All candidates who have managed to score above the cut off range shall qualify for the next round of exam.
Kerala PSC 2021 Result
- The result shall be declared in the ONLINE mode only.
- Candidates shall visit the official website to check results.
- After logging in, they can enter the application number and date of birth along with any other details asked.
- Optionally, candidates can also enter the number of their respective OMR sheets to obtain results.
- Take a print copy of the result sheet.
Kerala PSC 2021 Vacancies
The number of vacancies against each post tends to vary every year. The list of jobs for which the KPSC conducts the Civil Service Exam is indicated below here:
- Administrative Secretariat
- Finance Secretariat
- Civil Supplies
- Commercial Taxes
- Commissionerate of Entrance Examinations
- Co-operative Department
- Culture Department
- Industries and Commerce
- State Lotteries in-charge
- National Employment Service
- National Savings Department
- Kerala State Audit
- Land Revenue
- Panchayat in-charge
- Sainik Welfare
- Social Justice
- State Insurance
- Stationery in-charge
- Kerala State land use board
- Rural development
- Scheduled Caste Development
- Scheduled Tribe Development
- Survey and land records
- General Education
- Urban Affairs
- Common Categories for recruitment of officers – Administrative Officer, Administrative Assistant, Accounts Officer, Financial Assistant, etc.
Kerala PSC 2021 Preparation Tips
- Generally, the gap between the prelims and the mains is quite long, so utilize this time gap effectively.
- The syllabus for prelims and mains is not overlapping; hence, exclusive preparation for both should be done.
- Learning the Malayalam language with a good hold on the language will increase your scores.
- Do extensive studies in general studies subject.
- Understand the inner nuances of each section of the paper.
- Good understanding and awareness about Kerala government implementations and the latest trends is a must.
- Prepare good notes for studies.
- Study demographics and highlighted aspects of Kerala in detail.
- Attempt mock tests and previous year question papers.
Recommended Books for KPSC Preparation
The preparation for the exam should include a major chunk from the native state-Kerala. Hence we recommend books that will help you attain knowledge of the state apart from the general and standard sources of reference books.
- Certificate Physical Geography by G C Leong.
- History of Modern India by Rajiv Ahir
- Indian Culture by Spectrum series
- History of Kerala by Raghava Varier
- Survey of Kerala History by Sreedhara Menon A
- Malayala Manorama Yearbook
- Mathrubhumi newspaper
- NCERT CBSE Books