The KPSC or Kerala Public Service Commission sends out the official notification to conduct the state civil services exam for the state of Kerala. All candidates who are desirous of serving in the Kerala state government services of administrative cadre should write the Kerala PSC KAS exam.
The commission conducts the exam to recruit candidates to various services of the Kerala state government. All candidates should look into the eligibility criteria and other conditions before applying for the exam.
This article provides comprehensive information about Kerala PSC 2020 exam, including important dates, one time registration process, application fee, admit card details, eligibility conditions, exam pattern, syllabus, preparation tips, cut off, results, and vacancies. We have also suggested the best books to refer to for the exam. The official website of the commission is keralapsc.gov.in.
The exam is conducted in three schemes based on the recruitment mode of the candidate. The 3 schemes are stream-1, stream-2, and stream-3, namely.
Stream 1: This is for candidates seeking direct recruitment.
Stream 2: This is for candidates who are already working in Kerala state government departments and applying for the Kerala PSC civil service exam.
Stream 3: This is for candidates who are already a gazetted officer and applying for the Kerala civil service exam.
Kerala PSC 2020 – Important Dates
|Important Events||Exam Dates|
|Deadline for form submission||To be updated|
|Last Date of Form Submission||To be updated|
|Exam Date – (Prelims and Mains)||To be updated|
|Admit Card Release Date on website||To be updated|
|Announcement of results||To be updated|
Kerala PSC Registration 2020
- Candidates should first register on the official website.
- The registration process is called one time registration of the candidate.
- After the one time registration process, candidates can login into the online portal of the application.
- Candidates can click on the relevant exam link to fill in the application form.
- Enter all relevant details in the form.
- Upload scanned photo and signature.
- Pay relevant fees.
- Submit the form.
- Download the acknowledgment.
- Make a note of the reference id/application id.
- Take a print copy of the submitted application form.
Interested candidates trying to attempt the UPSC IAS Exam? Read this article: IAS Exam.
The application fee shall be subjected to change with time. The general application fee is INR 160.
Kerala PSC Admit Card 2020
- The state commission shall issue separate admit cards for various stages of the exam.
- A few days before the commencement of any round of exams, the admit card shall be uploaded on the official website.
- Candidates shall visit the official site and login to download the admit card.
- After login, click on the link that will allow download of admit card.
- Enter the registration number and date of birth details.
- Admit card shall be displayed.
- Candidates need to carry admit card to the exam hall without fail.
- Candidates may not be allowed to write the exam without admit card.
Kerala Public Service Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for candidates vary according to the stream from where the candidate seeks recruitment from. Accordingly, they have to satisfy a few conditions and eligibility criteria before applying for the exam.
- All citizens of India are eligible to apply.
The educational qualification required for all candidates applying from any of the 3 streams is common. All candidates should have obtained a bachelor’s degree, which can also include any professional degree from any university that is recognized by the government of India.
Kerala PSC Age Limit
- For stream 1 – age of the candidate should be between 21 to 32 years.
- For stream 2- age of the candidate should be between 21 to 40 years.
- For stream 3 – age of the candidate should be less than 50 years.
Relaxation in age limit
Upper Age limit is relaxed for candidates belonging to the reserved categories. Here is the breakdown list:
For SC/ST: 05 years
For OBC: 03 years
For widows: 05 years
For physically disabled candidates (orthopedic disability): 10 years
For differently able candidates: 15 years
Kerala PSC Exam Pattern
The Kerala PSC conducts the civil services exam in three rounds, the prelims, mains and interview round.
- It consists of two papers.
- General studies 1 and general studies 2 papers.
- Each paper is conducted for 100 marks.
- Each paper is conducted for duration of one and a half hours.
- Both are objective type papers.
- Both papers shall be available in the English language
- It is an explanatory and descriptive type of paper.
- The exam consists of 3 papers – papers 1, 2, and 3.
- Each paper shall be conducted for 100 marks each.
- Each paper shall be conducted for duration of 2 hours.
- Candidates can write answers in either English or Malayalam language.
- It is also called the personality test round.
- The test is conducted for those candidates who have cleared the mains exam.
- The total marks of the interview are 50 marks.
- Duration of the interview depends on the interview panel.
Kerala PSC Syllabus
The detailed syllabus of each section can be downloaded in PDF format. The quick reference and most important points are given below here:
General Studies paper 1
- History of India and Kerala
- The cultural background of Kerala
- Indian judiciary
- Constitution and Indian polity
- Geography of India
- Mental ability and verbal reasoning
General Studies paper 2
- Indian economy and planning commission
- Schemes of NITI aayog
- Industrial policies and agricultural sector in India
- Indian infrastructure
- Indian financial framework
- Science and technology
- Environmental factors and ecology
- 20th century developments of India
- The socio-cultural fabric of the state of Kerala
- Movements taken place in Kerala
- Indian polity after India gained independence
- Indian economy in today’s world
- Food security aspects
- Disaster management
- Kerala as a model for the world
- Women empowerment
- Socio empowerment schemes
- Constitution of India
- Land acts and amendments
- Local self-governance
- Decentralization of power
- General awareness
- Life sciences
- Candidates shall be tested for interpersonal and communication skills.
- They shall be questioned on current affairs, general knowledge, and latest developments and welfare schemes in the state of Kerala.
- Candidates should also preferable know the initiatives taken by the government in Kerala state.
- The commission shall decide on the cut off marks after each round of exam.
- The cut off marks shall be displayed on the official website after the announcement of the results.
- All candidates who have managed to score above the cut off range shall qualify for the next round of exams.
Kerala PSC Results
- Results shall be declared in the ONLINE mode only.
- Candidates shall visit the official website to check results.
- After logging in, they can enter the application number and date of birth along with any other details asked.
- Optionally, candidates can also enter the number of their respective OMR sheets to obtain results.
- Take a print copy of the result sheet.
The number of vacancies against each post tends to vary every year. The list of jobs for which the Kerala PSC conducts the civil services exams is indicated below here:
- Administrative Secretariat post
- Finance Secretariat post
- Civil Supplies officer
- Commercial Taxes officer
- Commissioner ate of Entrance Examinations post
- Co-operative department officer
- Culture department officer
- Industries and Commerce officer
- Labour officer
- State Lotteries in-charge
- National Employment Service officer
- National Savings department officers
- Kerala State Audit officers
- Land Revenue officers
- Panchayat in-charge officers
- Registrations officer
- Sainik Welfare officers
- Social Justice officers
- State Insurance officers
- Stationery in-charge
- Kerala State land use board officers
- Rural development officer
- Scheduled Caste development officer
- Scheduled Tribe development officer
- Survey and land records officer
- Treasuries officer
- General Education officer
- Tourism officer
- Urban Affairs officer
- Common Categories for recruitment of officers – Administrative Officer, Administrative Assistant, Accounts Officer, Financial Assistant, etc
Preparation tips to crack Kerala Public Service Exam
- Generally, the gap between the prelims and the mains is quite long, so utilize this time gap effectively.
- The syllabus for prelims and mains is not overlapping; hence, exclusive preparation for both should be done.
- Learning the Malayalam language with a good hold on the language will increase your scores.
- Do extensive studies in geenral studies subject.
- Understand the inner nuances of each section of the paper.
- Good understanding and awareness about Kerala government implementations and the latest trends is a must.
- Candidates can go to coaching centers but optional.
- Good and standard books should be referred to.
- Prepare good notes for studies.
- Study demographics and highlighted aspects of Kerala in detail.
- Attempt mock tests and previous year question papers.
Best recommended books for preparation
The preparation for the exam should include a major chunk from the native state-Kerala. Hence we recommend books that will help you attain knowledge of the state apart from the general and standard sources of reference books.
- Certificate Physical Geography by G C Leong.
- Brief History of Modern India by Rajiv Ahir
- Book on Indian Culture by Spectrum series
- History of Kerala by Raghava Varier
- Survey of Kerala History by Sreedhara Menon A
- Malayala Manorama Yearbook
- Mathrubhumi newspaper
- CBSE Books
Also, Read Other State Civil Services 2020 Articles