500+ Words Essay on Leadership
Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others. – Jack Welch
Leaders are people who listen, empower and help others. Leadership occurs when a person guides or leads other people to achieve something. Leaders walk alongside their people at every step.
Qualities of a Good Leader
- A good leader is first an excellent communicator. He listens to others and gives constructive feedback.
- He is optimistic in all situations, no matter how tough and likes to stress on the solution, rather than the problem.
- He is self-aware and self-confident. He believes in himself and his team. He displays trust and faith.
- A leader is always eager to learn more and more. He acquires and gains knowledge whenever possible.
- He is a value adder and a positive contributor. He displays qualities of an excellent problem solver.
- A good leader shows never giving up attitude and always supports his team.
Some Noteworthy Leaders
- Jesus Christ is regarded as highly as a religious leader. More than two billion people followed Christianity because of his teachings.
- Mother Teresa left her home when she was just 18 years old to help the poor, needy and dying. She dedicated her life as a selfless leader to them, and this inspired other people as well to take up a path that made the world a better place to live in.
- Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam showed every trait of a good leader throughout his life. He was utmost humble. He always encouraged people to pursue their dreams. He can rightfully be called a visionary.
- When we talk about leadership, how can one not mention Mahatma Gandhi? He defeated a superpower by taking the path of non-violence. His followers supported him because of his humility, determination and honesty.
- A leader should always follow his passion and dreams. This is exactly what Walt Disney did. He created many characters, such as Mickey Mouse and spread his passion for art and fun throughout the world.
Types of Leadership Styles
Not all leaders are alike. They all possess different styles of leadership. Two main styles should be kept in mind.
Autocratic leadership – In this style, the leader holds full control. He likes his orders to be followed without any questions asked. Others often dislike him.
Democratic Leadership – In this style, the leader takes the opinion of others and listens to them while making important decisions.
If you build leadership skills, people will look up to you. Not only will you be able to handle your problems, but you will also be able to get other people free from theirs. When you work, you will be able to motivate your employees better and keep your team’s performance on the track. People always like to associate themselves and work with those people that have a collaborative spirit and are dynamic.
How to Become a Good Leader?
We associate leadership with people who run a country or run a multinational business. But what we fail to see is that each one of us can start building a leader in ourselves. Very few are born leaders. There are ways through which we can ensure that we acquire leadership skills-:
- Never be afraid to admit your mistakes. People may think that it is a sign of weakness, but that is not true. People appreciate a leader who is honest and truthful.
- Always consider yourself as a team player. You can achieve more together than what you achieve individually.
- Learn to give credit to people who deserve it. Praise and appreciate them.
- Always guide and support others. Help them grow and develop.
- Be collaborative and compassionate—lead people with love, dignity and respect.
Leadership is an important quality. To become a leader, always expose yourself to different people and experiences. Always express your opinions and feelings wherever required. Be more open minded and always stand by your principles and values.