What is the full form of NDA?
The National Defense Academy (NDA) is known to be the joint service academy of the Indian Armed Forces, which facilitates the training of the three cadets of the services; the Army, the Navy and the Air Force.
The training is imparted with an aim to provide them a basic training together before they go on their respective commission training. NDA, the first tri-service academy in the World is located at Khadakwasla near Pune in Maharashtra.
With regards to the updated record it has been stated that, whenever there is call for immediate action, the alumni of NDA has nailed every major conflict. They hold 3 Param Vir Chakra, and 12 Ashoka Chakar for their bravery.
National Defense Academy has given 27 service chiefs of staff up till now. All the three current chiefs namely Chiefs of staffs of the Army, the Navy, and the Air Force are also the alumni of NDA.
History – NDA holds a bold history behind
- Starting from pre-independence period of 1941, when Indian Viceroy Lord Linlithgow was honored a gift of £ 100,000 from the pleased Sudanese Government for building a war memorial on the name of sacrifices of Indian troops in the liberation of Sudan in World War II.
- Later, at the end of the war Claude Auchinleck the Field Marshal and further the Commander-In-Chief of the Indian Army, held to draw an experience of the war through various military academies round the globe and then submitted the report in December, 1946 to the Indian Government.
• In August, 1947 just after the independence of India the Chiefs of staff Committee immediately implemented the report of the Auchinleck and the company started an action plan same year to create a permanent defense academy.
- Also, a provisional training academy named as Joint service wing (JSW) was planned to get settled and was custom-made on January 1, 1949.
- Later, post partition the gift amount of £ 100,000 was also divided among India and Pakistan out of which £ 70,000 remained with India and £ 30,000 was given to Pakistan. The Indian Army then decided to use the owned amount partially in the noble cause of building the academy.
- The Foundation stone of the Academy was laid by the Prime Minister of India Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru on October 6, 1949, which was then formally commissioned on December 7, 1954 and grandly inaugurated on January 16, 1955.
- Also, the JSW program was then transferred from IMA to NDA.
Age Criteria – 16 ½ to 19 years
Gender – Only Male
Marital Status – Unmarried, also candidate are not supposed to get married until they get their training done. In case the candidate marries after filling application and qualifies the exam, will be barred from training as per the rule of the academy.
In case the candidate marries in the course of training, the academy has the full right to discharge the candidate and then he shall be liable to return back all the expenditure and assets incurred on him by the government.
1. For Army wing of National Defense Academy – Class 12 or any equivalent examination from state board or a university.
2. For Navy wing of National Defense Academy – 12th class pass on 10+2 pattern of education or equivalent education with
Physics and Mathematics which is conducted by a State Education Board or a university.
Also, the aspirants who are appearing in class 12th board examination or any under 10+2 pattern equivalent qualification can apply for this exam.
Nationality – An aspirant must be from any of the following countries
- A subject of Nepal, or
- A subject of Bhutan, or
- A citizen of India, or
- A person from Indian origin who has been migrated from any of the following Nations like Pakistan, Sri Lanka, the East African countries like United Republic of Tanzania (formerly known as Tanganyika and Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia and countries like Vietnam with a strong intention to settle down permanently in India), countries like Kenya and Uganda too are in the lane.
- A Tibetan Refugee who migrated to India before January 1, 1962 with a determination to settle down permanently in India.
- All the aforesaid conditions except that of true Indian citizen are eligible only if they own an eligibility certificate from the Government of India. This certificate is not mandatory in the case of Gorkha Subjects of Nepal.
Candidates must be declared fit from their respective training academics as per the prescribed fitness standards.
The eligible candidates on the above conditions can further apply for the exam.
National Defense Academy and Naval Academy examination
The exam for National Defense Academy and Naval Academy is conducted by Union Public service commission, for getting admitted in the three wings namely Army, Navy and Air Force.
Candidates who get selected in the same will undergo 4 years of B.Tech course and would join as a Joint Executive and Technical branches of the Navy with regards to the availability of the vacancies.
Number of post and vacancies are provisional and therefore can be changed as per the availability of the training capacity of the National Defense Academy.
National Defense Academy courses and training wings
Naval Training Team – The team is specialised to impart training to the Naval Cadets. The training is held under the supervision of senior instructor who is at the designation of Senior Naval Battalion Commander. Peacock Bay is the fully instructed and equipped site of training with boat handling, rowing, wind surfing and other related items. Naval Cadets are given practical training to sail here.
Army Training Team – The team is specialised to impart training to the Army Cadets. The training is held under the supervision of senior instructor who is designated at the post of Senior Army Battalion Commander. All sort of section level training tactics and the basic war training along which includes patrolling, map reading and ambush are done in the course of training.
Air Force Training Team – The team is specialised to impart training to the Air Force Cadets. The training is held under the supervision of senior instructor who is designated at the post of Senior Air Force Battalion Commander. Gliding training is given to such cadets along with the fully equipped training to 12 launches to each Air Force Cadets prior he joins Air Force Academy is given.
The training of the three wings are given preliminary training comprising both from physical and academic over a period of three years in the National Defense Academy. The training, which is imparted to the candidates for the first two and half years are common, however it differs in the remaining half year.
After passing the training session the candidates are awarded with the degree of B.Sc/B.A. from the Jawahar Lal Nehru University, New Delhi.
After passing out from National Defense Academy, the Army cadets go to the Indian Military Academy located in Dehradun, Navel cadets goes to the Cadets Training ship and Air force cadets goes to the AFA in Hyderabad or BFTS in Allahabad.
The remaining training of 6 months is given in the respective branches and then they are promoted to the acting Lieutenants.
Aforesaid details about NDA will surely help you in receiving a thorough hold on the seat. All the best!!! 🙂