What does NDA stand for?
The Full form of NDA is National Defense Academy. It is known to be the joint service academy of the Indian Armed Forces, which facilitates the training of the three cadets of the services; the Army, the Navy, and the Air Force.
The training is imparted to provide them a basic training together before they go on their respective commission training. NDA, the first tri-service academy in the World, is located at Khadakwasla near Pune in Maharashtra.
With regards to the updated record, it has been stated that, whenever there is a call for immediate action, the alumni of NDA have nailed every major conflict. They hold 3 Param Vir Chakra, and 12 Ashoka Chakar for their bravery.
National Defense Academy has given 27 service chiefs of staff up till now. All three current chiefs, namely Chiefs of staff of the Army, the Navy, and the Air Force, are also the alumni of NDA.
NDA holds a bold history behind it
- Starting from the pre-independence period of 1941, when Indian Viceroy Lord Linlithgow was honored a gift of £ 100,000 from the pleased Sudanese Government for building a war memorial on the name of sacrifices of Indian troops in the liberation of Sudan in World War II.
- Later, at the end of the war, Claude Auchinleck the Field Marshal and further the Commander-In-Chief of the Indian Army held to draw experience of the war through various military academies around the globe and then submitted the report in December 1946 to the Indian Government.
- • In August 1947, just after the independence of India, the Chiefs of Staff Committee immediately implemented the report of the Auchinleck, and the company started an action plan the same year to create a permanent defense academy.
- Also, a provisional training academy named Joint service wing (JSW) was planned to get settled and was custom-made on January 1, 1949.
- Later, post-partition the gift amount of £ 100,000 was also divided among India and Pakistan, out of which £ 70,000 remained with India and £ 30,000 was given to Pakistan. The Indian Army then decided to use the owned amount partially in the noble cause of building the Academy.
- The Foundation stone of the Academy was laid by the Prime Minister of India Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru on October 6, 1949, which was then formally commissioned on December 7, 1954, and grandly inaugurated on January 16, 1955.
- Also, the JSW program was then transferred from IMA to NDA.
NDA courses and training wings
Naval Training Team – The team is specialised to impart training to the Naval Cadets. The training is held under the supervision of a senior instructor who is at the designation of the Senior Naval Battalion Commander. Peacock Bay is the fully instructed and equipped site of training with boat handling, rowing, windsurfing, and other related items. Naval Cadets are given practical training to sail here.
Army Training Team – The team is specialised to impart training to the Army Cadets. The training is held under the supervision of a senior instructor who is designated at the post of Senior Army Battalion Commander. All sorts of section level training tactics and the basic war training along, which includes patrolling, map reading, and ambush are done in the course of training.
Air Force Training Team – The team is specialised to impart training to the Air Force Cadets. The training is held under the supervision of a senior instructor who is designated at the post of Senior Air Force Battalion Commander. Gliding training is given to such cadets along with the fully equipped training to 12 launches to each Air Force Cadets prior he joins Air Force Academy is given.
The training of the three wings is given preliminary training comprising both from physical and academic over three years in the National Defense Academy. The training, which is imparted to the candidates for the first two and half years, is common; however it differs in the remaining half year.
After passing the training session the candidates are awarded with the degree of B.Sc/B.A. from the Jawahar Lal Nehru University, New Delhi.
After passing out from National Defense Academy, the Army cadets go to the Indian Military Academy located in Dehradun, Naval cadets go to the Cadets Training ship, and Air force cadets go to the AFA in Hyderabad or BFTS in Allahabad.
The remaining training of 6 months is given in the respective branches, and then they are promoted to the acting Lieutenants.
Details described above about NDA will surely help you in receiving a thorough hold on the seat. All the best!!! 🙂