NSF Scholarship 2021: NSF is the abbreviated form of the North South Foundation. It is a US funded scholarship with its presence felt in India. This scholarship is provided for the needy and deserving students of India. Academic merit and financial background are two parameters of how students are assessed for scholarships. Candidates who are desirous of entering professional educational streams at UG levels are awarded these benefits. All candidates looking out to pursue medical courses or engineering or diploma in engineering (3-year courses) are eligible to apply. This article gives detailed information about NSF Scholarship 2021, including the last date to apply, eligibility criteria, the application process, documents required, selection procedure, rewards, and benefits.
NSF Scholarship 2021 Overview
|Provided by||North South Foundation (NSF), USA|
|Scholarship Name||NSF Scholarship|
|Scholarship Amount||INR 25000 Maximum|
|Last Date of Application||November 30, 2021|
NSF Scholarship – Application Period
Candidates can look out for these scholarships during the months of October and November when the official notification shall be published. This is a merit-cum-means scholarship, and the application dates shall vary every year. The deadline for application submission is usually during the last week of November.
NSF Scholarship – Eligibility Criteria
There is a host of eligibility criteria that holds common to all chapters in India. Chapters are nothing but designated states where the NSF holds scholarship centers and conducts exams for selection. Candidates should read through these conditions extensively and understand them. Upon qualifying in these conditions, they should take the next step of applying for them. Here is the list of eligibility conditions:
- The candidate’s score should be in the top creamy layer of his state. He should be counted in the top 10% scoring candidates in his 10th or 12th or in entrance exams like CET or NEET or JEE, where the state-wise ranking shall be considered.
- Annual family income of candidates to be less than INR 1, 00,000.
- Candidate should have received his 12th exam results and sought admission into a professional course.
- List of courses includes – Engineering/ architecture/ 3 years diploma in engineering or agriculture/ medical courses – MBBS or BAMS or BDS/ Bachelor of veterinary sciences/ Bachelor of pharmacy/ B.Sc in agriculture or nursing, etc.
- Candidate should not be receiving any other scholarship at the time of applying and after receiving this scholarship.
- Candidates who previously studied at government schools/ colleges shall be given higher preference.
- Candidates who have sought admission for professional courses in government colleges shall also receive higher preference.
- Candidates who have secured first place in their previous exams in their first attempt shall be counted for more preference.
NSF Scholarship – Application Procedure
The application procedure for NSF scholarship is a 10 step process. Candidates should read through the instructions carefully before applying for them. Only those candidates who qualify in the eligibility criteria should go ahead with the application. Not qualifying in the eligibility criteria shall lead to the candidate’s rejection in terms of his application. A detailed step-wise representation of the application process for NSF scholarship is given below.
- Visit the official website of NSF – www.northsouth.org.
- Go directly to the applicant login section. Click on ‘New User’.
- Candidates need to provide appropriate credentials to register themselves.
- After providing registration details, they shall receive an activation link in the e-mail ID provided. Click on the link for validation.
- With newly created login details, enter the website, and now you can go to the ‘applicant section’.
- Enter all the requisite details in the new application form presented.
- The following details are needed – personal details, general contact information, academic details, family background details, and income details of parents.
- Upload necessary documents in the relevant section provided.
- With this part of the process, the application submission activity is complete.
List of Required Documents for NSF Scholarship
Providing documents, along with scholarship submission, acts as proof or validation for the details entered in the form. Students are advised to keep all documents ready before they begin the application process. Any mismatch in uploading documents or sending them in wrong formats and sizes shall not be entertained in any way.
- Admission card issued by college authorities for enrolment into the UG course.
- Bonafide letter from college authorities for enrolment into the UG course.
- Scorecard indicating rank obtained in entrance exams – CET/NEET/JEE etc.
- Duly attested mark sheets of 10th and 12th standard.
- Fee receipt issued at the newly admitted college.
- Income certificate of parents.
- Aadhaar card
- Recent passport size photographs of the candidate
- Complete family photo [Note: The candidate should have a photo taken with his full family standing in front of the house they currently live in. This is mandatory.]
- Caste certificate/ reservation certificate on a caste basis.
NSF Scholarship – Selection Process
NSF follows an extensive selection process to select candidates from across different chapters in India. The process is common to all chapters. Around 1000 or more are selected annually through this selection process. The complete selection procedure, along with their respective timelines, is explained below in detail:
- Around the months of April – June, formal announcement of NSF scholarship in press/ social media and through schools.
- Within August, candidates can be listed out and a request sent by school authorities for making an application to NSF.
- The last week of August shall stand as the final deadline to send in completed applications.
- The Indian chapter co-coordinator or ICC shall process application submission along with necessary documentation.
- Reviewing and shortlisting of applications shall be completed by September.
- By October, candidates shall be personally interviewed by a panel headed by ICC. A parent is expected to come along with the student for the personal interview round, and the related travel expenses via train or bus shall be duly reimbursed to the candidate.
- After the personal interview round, the ICC shortlists students further and send a recommendation list. This list shall be mailed to the NSF India co-coordinator, situated in Hyderabad center. This process shall be completed by the month of November.
- The NSF India coordinator and the US scholarship team jointly perform a file review of all candidates recommended. If needed, candidates shall be called and verified further before moving their files to the next processes ahead. By the end of November, the final list of candidates who would be receiving scholarships shall be prepared.
- In the months of December and January, an exclusive awards ceremony is conducted by the Indian chapter of NSF, and scholarships are given out to all selected candidates.
NSF Scholarship – Rewards & Benefits
Varying financial grant is awarded to selected candidates as part of the NSF scholarship. Benefits are allotted to students on a yearly basis until the completion of the degree course. Reward up to INR 25,000 shall be payable to the selected candidates.
NSF Scholarship 2021 – FAQ’s
1. Around what time of the year is the renewal applications accepted?
Answer: Renewal applications shall be processed between the months of August to October.
2. What is the range of scholarship amount given out to selected candidates?
Answer: The scholarship amount may vary in the range between INR 8000 to INR 25000.
3. Candidates enrolled in private institutions for professional UG courses can apply for a scholarship?
Answer: Candidate should be enrolled in either government or government-aided institutions only.
4. How is the renewal process done?
Answer: In the timeline specified for renewal applications, candidates should log into the official portal and submit renewal applications.
5. If I have to make changes to the submitted application form, how do I go about it?
Answer: The respective chapter co-coordinator can be contacted in such matters.
NSF Scholarship – Contact Details