The OPSC or Odisha Public Service Commission is the official state commission that is vested with the duty of conducting civil service examination to appoint entry-level officers for various administrative cadres of the state of Odisha.
The OPSC commission aims to select and induct the best candidates into state government civil services through the examination. Interested candidates have to check the complete notification and confirm their eligibility criteria before applying for the OAS exam.
Only those candidates who qualify the minimum eligibility conditions will be allowed to take up the exam. Here, we present the various necessary data about the OPSC 2020 exam, including the exam dates, eligibility conditions, application form process, application fee payment, admit card, syllabus, exam pattern, results, preparation tips, and the best recommended books for preparation, etc. The official OPSC website is http://opsc.gov.in
OPSC 2020 Exam Dates
Candidates have to remember these dates to apply well before the deadline is reached.
|Important event||Dates to remember|
|Publication of official gazette notification for OPSC on website||Last week of January 2020|
|Last and final date to submit online applications.||Second week of March 2020|
|Probable date of admit card issue||To be updated|
|OPSC 2020 prelims exam||Second week of April 2020|
|OPSC 2020 mains exam||To be updated|
Are you aspiring to attempt UPSC examination? Read this article: UPSC Exam.
OPSC 2020 Application Form
All candidates interested in applying for the OPSC 2020 exam have to check beforehand, all the necessary eligibility conditions before applying for the exam. The application will be made available on the website from the second week of February 2020. Application form submission last date is the second week of March 2020.
Follow these steps to submit an ONLINE application form
- Traverse the homepage of the OPSC website.
- Check the relevant exam link and click on the ‘Apply online’ space provided.
- Part 1 of the application form will open.
- Fill in all relevant personal details that are verifiable.
- Submit part 1 of the form after verifying for the correctness of details.
- Click on part 2 of the application.
- Part 2 of the application will need candidates to upload their photograph, a scanned signature, etc.
- Please pay the exam fees in this section.
- After paying fees, click on the submit button.
- Details once submitted can’t be changed again.
- Preserve a copy of the submitted application form.
The fees for the exam OPSC 2020 vary depending on the category the candidate belongs to. Here we list the fees accordingly:
- INR 500 for general category candidates.
- SC/ST candidates are exempted from making fee payment for the exam.
Fees can be remitted in both online and offline modes.
- Online mode: Fees can be paid via internet banking/ debit card and credit card facilities.
- Offline mode: Candidates can remit respective fees at any of SBI recognized branches and obtain a challan acknowledgment. Enter the acknowledgment number in the application form.
OPSC 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates have to qualify certain eligibility criteria to fulfill the exam conditions. These conditions are listed below.
- All Indian nationals/citizens of India are eligible to apply for the exam.
- Interstate candidates are also encouraged to apply for the OPSC exam, provided they know to read and write in Odiya.
- All graduates/ post graduates/ equivalent degree holders are eligible to apply.
- The minimum qualification ore scribed is graduation from the any recognized university of India.
General age limit for candidates set by commission is 21 to 35 years, and it depends on the category of candidate too.
Age relaxation is provided to candidates who belong to the reserved categories. The various relaxation limits are specified below:
- For candidates of SC/ST and Economically backward categories – 5 years on upper age limit.
- For female candidates – 5 years on upper age limit.
- For ex-servicemen – 5 years on upper age limit.
Number of attempts
There is no cap on the number of attempts can make while staying in the range of age limit specified.
OPSC 2020 Admit card
The date of the issue of admits card will be notified on the website, and candidates have to check the website for updates. The admit card contains all necessary details about the candidate. Candidates have to compulsorily carry the admit card to the exam hall, without which they may not be allowed to take up the exam. Follow these steps to download exam date:
- Visit the official website.
- Click on the tab that provided the download of admit card.
- Enter all relevant details.
- Upon correct entry, the admit card will be displayed.
- Candidates have to check for correctness of details and report any discrepancies.
- Download/print the admit card.
For any queries, candidates can contact the commission at Odisha Public Service Commission, Cuttack, and Odisha 753001.
OPSC Exam Pattern 2020
The OPSC exam pattern consists of three phases – the preliminary exam, mains, and the interview round. Let us take up each section in detail here.
- The prelims consist of 2 papers.
- Each paper will be conducted for a duration of 2 hours.
- The pattern of the paper is of multiple-choice questions.
- The total marks for each paper are 200.
- 1st paper is based on general studies. Candidates who score qualifying marks in paper 1 will be selected for the mains round.
- 2nd paper is based on general aptitude questions. A minimum of 33% marks is to be scored in the 2nd paper; else, paper 1 will not be considered for evaluation.
- The mains exam consists of 5 compulsory papers and 4 papers, which are based on optional subjects.
- There will be two optional subjects for the candidate to choose, and 2 papers will be set for each optional subject.
- Totally there will be two optional subjects and 4 papers based on them.
- Totally the marks for mains will be 2600.
- Every paper will be conducted for a duration of 3 hours.
The subjects of the mains exam are tabulated below for quick reference.
|Paper name||Total Marks|
|General Studies I paper||300|
|General Studies II paper||300|
|Optional I Paper I paper||300|
|Optional I Paper II paper||300|
|Optional II Paper I paper||300|
|Optional II Paper II paper||300|
- The exam is conducted for a total of 250 marks.
- The list of candidates for the interview round is based on the marks obtained by them in the mains exam.
- The total marks obtained in both the mains exam and interview round will decide the final ranking of the candidate.
OPSC Syllabus 2020
The complete syllabus of all sections of the exam is briefly described below.
OPSC Prelims Syllabus
The important topics for paper 1 are listed below:
- Current affairs at the local, national, and international level.
- Social development of India, poverty alleviation measures, economic reforms, economic framework of the country.
- Indian political situation, constitution of India, panchayat raj, policy development and measures for building strong policies, governance and bureaucracy.
- Climate change, ecological issues, environment and wildlife, conservation of habitats and forest.
- History of India and freedom struggle, geography and topology, different sections of geography.
- General science and sustainable living and many more.
The important topics for paper 2 are listed below:
- Communication and comprehension skills.
- Reasoning, interpretation, problem solving.
- General math’s ability.
- Reasoning, logical thinking, data interpretation.
- Basic English grammar skills.
The brief syllabus of every paper in the mains exam is listed below:
General Odiya language
- Language comprehension
- Precise and comprehensive writing.
- Letter writing, translation and vocabulary.
- Essay and developing on a topic.
General English language
- Comprehension and essay.
- Precise writing and vocabulary skills.
- Grammar and idioms.
- Translation and writing skills etc.
General studies 1
- History and Indian culture
- Geography of India
- Indian politics.
- Constitution and civil administration.
- Current affairs.
General studies 2
- Indian economy and agriculture.
- India in international affairs.
- Science and technology in Indian panorama.
- Space technology and internet development.
- Various important statistics.
The syllabus for the interview is not fixed. The time duration depends on the panel of interviewers conducting the exam. Candidates will be assessed on various topics of general interest, current affairs, optional choices, and questions based on that, subjective questions, etc. Candidates have to present good communication and interpersonal skills good usage of language and presentation.
OPSC Cut off 2020
The cut off marks is the minimum prescribed marks by the state commission based on which candidates will be evaluated. The commission will announce the cut off marks for 2020 once the results of OPSC will be officially declared in the portal. Cut off marks will be based on the number of candidates applied for the exam, a number of candidates appeared, the vacancy of posts, and the toughness level of the exam.
OPSC Results 2020
The OPSC results will be communicated to candidates through the official website of the commission. Answers will not be disclosed in any other manner. Candidates can follow the following steps to download their respective results:
- Visit the homepage of the website.
- Click on the relevant examination link.
- Enter all the relevant details in the necessary tabs and click on the submit button.
- Once results are displayed, the candidate has to verify for its correctness.
- In case of any discrepancy, they can contact the commission.
- Candidates can download the results and take a print copy.
Candidates have to develop good preparation strategies to excel in the examination. Follow these useful tips:
- Candidates have to check for the latest updates on the official website from time to time.
- They have to refer to the prescribed syllabus without fail.
- Prepare a strategic time table to follow timelines.
- Familiarize yourself with the latest current affairs.
- Newspaper reading, one in Odiya language, and the other a national daily is a must.
- Know the history, geography, cultural, and linguistic factors of Orissa well.
- Choose your optional wisely.
- Refer OAS previous year question
- Read good and recommended books.
- Prepare clear, crisp and concise notes.
- Practice answers writing skills.
Best books for OPSC Exam
The list of best recommended books for OPSC is given below:
- OPSC General studies by S N Rath.
- Objective General Knowledge by BKs
- BK Editorial board – General Studies paper 2 ( OPSC)
- OPSC General studies reference book by Sangram Keshari
- English grammar by S C Gupta
- Advanced general knowledge by DR. Priti Jain
- NCERT Books
The vacancy list for which the OPSC civil services exam will be conducted in 2020 will be updated on the official website, and candidates have to check for the latest news.
Also, Read Other State Civil Services 2020 Articles
|MPSC Exam||UPPSC Exam||GPSC Exam|
|JPSC||WBPSC Exam||BPSC Exam|
|RPSC Exam||TNPSC Exam||Meghalaya PSC|
|MPSC Manipur||KPSC Exam||Kerala PSC|
|APPSC Exam||Arunachal Pradesh PSC|