Paragraph on Global Warming in 150 Words
The increase in average global temperature is called Global Warming. The people denying the change in climate argue that the slowdown in temperature rise though studies show that there has been an increase. Global Warming is an outcome of Carbon dioxide (CO2) and Green House Gases collecting and absorbing solar radiation that used to bounce off the surface. The increased heat also increases temperature affecting heatwaves and disturbing the weather.
The outcomes of disturbances in weather are; droughts, desertification, heavier or low rainfall, floods, landslides, melting glaciers, rise in Sea levels, new pests that destroy fisheries and agriculture, etc. The rapid change in the atmosphere is making it hard for a lot of species to adapt, which causes their extinction. The dramatic increase in temperature can burn down forests affecting flora and fauna and the communities that inhabit the forests. There is an urgent need for collectivised efforts to curb climate change.
Paragraph on Global Warming in 300 Words
The unusual and fast increase in Earth’s average temperature is called Global Warming. This increase has considerably been higher in the last century due to human intervention with nature. The release of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere has been one of the primary reasons behind the increase in temperature. The Earth has experienced changes in temperature in the past, which wasn’t an outcome of climate change. In the past century, it has been a rapid and unchanged increase in temperature.
The increased consumption of fossils fuels has increased the concentration of greenhouse gases. The impact of Global Warming is much higher than just jump in temperature. It modifies the rainfall pattern, intensifies coastal erosion, lengthens seasons according to geography, the glaciers and ice caps are melting, and increases the range of chronic and infectious diseases. To be able to predict further changes in climate, scientists built models. These climate models are used to simulate the interactional responses of Ocean and Atmosphere. They predict an increase of around 2*C to 6*C by 21st Century.
Further, the melting of Ice Caps and Glaciers is also exposing dark ocean water during sunlight. The upsurge in water vapour is also alarming, as it is a potent greenhouse gas and also keeps temperature habitable for people. Due to the increase in temperature, Water vapour evaporates and moves from the surface to the atmosphere causing an increase in temperatures. Another affected area is that of clouds; they are responsible for cooling but also absorb infrared energy which affects their working. The change in the environment has also altered our lives.
We are likely to live an unhealthy life than that of our previous generations. The sustainability of Natural Resources is deterred due to climate change. It’s time that we think of the survival of the whole ecosystem.
Long Paragraph on Global Warming (600 Words)
The ongoing hiatus in the average temperature of the Earth’s climate system is Global Warming. The rise in temperature plays an imperative role in climate change. There are records of change in temperature in the past. The increase in temperature in the last century has been drastic.
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has said that human influence has been one of the dominant causes of Global Warming since the last 5-6 decades. One of the most significant social impacts has been the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. The principal source of these gases is the burning of fossil fuels.
Effects of Global Warming
- The extremes in temperature: the most obvious consequences are the rise in temperature around the world. The average temperature has seen an upscale of 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit (0.8 degrees Celsius) in the past decade. Since they started recording temperatures, 2016 has been the hottest year (NASA/NOAA).
- Extremes in Weather Events: the change in weather can affect different places with varying geographies differently. The change occurring in weather causes Polar Jet stream; which makes the margin between warm equatorial air and cold North Pole air to move towards the south, which creates the disparity between weather conditions.
- Melting of Icecaps: the quick change in temperature has caused the melting of icecaps, which forms a decrease in permafrost (Permanently frozen ground) by 10%. The decline in permafrost is dangerous as it can cause sudden land collapses or release microbes, which have been present on the surface for long.
- Ocean acidification and Sea Levels: the melting of ice and sea-level rise is directly proportional. World Meteorological Organisation stated that the increase in sea level accelerates by 0.12 inches per year worldwide, which is much more than the average increase in the 20th century. The rise of Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, this is absorbed by the Oceans, which in turn makes seawater more acidic.
Ways to curb Global Warming
- Reduction in waste of water can go a long way in preserving resources. The heat required to treat water is a lot, and it increases carbon pollution. Shorter showers, or turning off the tap while brushing teeth can be of great help.
- Buying better bulbs can help conserve energy. LED bulbs require over 80% less energy than conventional bulbs. They are also cheaper and don’t burn a hole in your pocket.
- Buying fuel-efficient vehicles can be beneficially in both conserving energy and saving money. If all car’s meet 2025’s clean car standards, which implies that they run 54.5 miles per gallon.
- Switching off the fans and lights and unplugging devices once charged can save a lot of energy. This can also help reduce the carbon footprint.
- The use of vehicles should be minimized, and more people can take public transport, hence, reducing the waste of energy and control the increase in pollution.
- The use of renewable energy instead of non-renewable energy is a mighty sustainable idea. The use of solar energy to power your homes can save up to 70% of the electricity a year, otherwise wasted.
The Earth cannot adapt to the fast-paced change, in its ecosystem, caused due to Global Warming. The conflict of interest between the environment and capitalism is causing a lot of damage to the Earth. It is time to take a step back, get habituated with sustainable ways and conserve non-renewable energy sources to lead a better life.