500+ Words Essay on Population
We cannot think of a world without humans. People play an important role in developing the economy and society. The total number of persons residing in a geographic area is called the population. The evaluation of the population consists of gathering and analyzing data on the number of people in a geographic area. Thus, the population census is the headcount of all persons who live in a particular area at a given period.
It helps to determine the size and rate of population growth. It helps to access the standard of living. It reveals the rate of migration and determines the rate of unemployment. The understanding of the population is highly essential. There has been a huge increase in population in the world. This is a major issue as there is the scarce of natural resources. It is necessary to control the population to limit their usage and save them for future generations.
India’s Population Crisis
India’s population is continuously increasing. This is creating various problems for future generations. India has a large population of approximately 138 crores. It is the second-largest populated country and is expected to overtake China by 2027. However, India’s population is steadily decreasing since the past decade. The average woman had five children fifty years ago; nowadays, this number is two.
In 2019, BJP MP Rakesh Sinha launched a bill called as regulation bill 2019. It is focused to take action against people having more than two children. This bill seeks denial of financial benefits and food to such people. India has spent 7500 crores in family planning.
The population is a liability, not an asset. The huge population of India provides extensive workforce resources if appropriately utilised, which can increase the economic condition of India.
Causes of Population Growth
Technology is drastically changing human life. It is also affecting the population. In 1850, there were only 1 billion people on the planet. In 2011, our population reached 7 billion. This surge in growth came because of movements in agriculture and medicines. We have to take important steps to control it as the population is growing at a fast rate of 1 percent every year. Causes of population increase are-
1. Poverty – It is one of the most significant contributing factors in the growth of the population. It causes a lack of educational resources, thus leading to an increase in population.
2. Immigration – Immigration rates are not calculated properly. This has led to an uncontrolled increase in population and is very problematic for the countries.
3. Less mortality rate – Due to the huge advancements in research and medicine, the death rates have been lowered down. The diseases are easy to detect, and faster techniques are deployed to control them. Though death rates fall, birth rates are increasing at a constant rate, leading to a surge in population.
4. The rise in the birth rate – The birth rates are continuously increasing. Many fertility treatments are available, which increases contraception. This causes pregnancies with fewer complications and much safer.
5. Less awareness – People are not aware of family planning. Illiteracy rates are also a big reason for the increase in population. Getting married at an early age increases the chances of more kids.
Effects of Population Growth
As the population is increasing, the demand for resources is also increasing. There are various harmful effects of population growth. Few of them includes:-
1. Depletion of resources – On Earth, we have a definite amount of resources like water, petroleum, etc. As populations are increasing every year, there are fewer resources for everyone. It can also cause conflicts between countries for resources.
2. Degradation of natural resources – As our population increases, there is a shortage of natural resources leading to their exploitation. It causes more pollution. It causes climate change and global warming. This is a huge environmental problem.
3. Rise in unemployment – When the country becomes overpopulated, a deficiency of jobs takes place. It leads to poverty and financial instability.
4. The high cost of living – When there are more people and fewer resources, the cost of living increases. The price of food, shelter, and healthcare goes high. This means people have to pay more for a good quality of life, causing an upsurge in poverty.
5. Less space of living – As the population grows, there is less space for houses to be built. This can cause more people to be homeless.
Government Role in Controlling Population
Effectively controlling the population is very important to stop the population from increasing anymore. Some steps were taken by the government to control the population are-
1. Minimum age of marriage – The government has set a minimum age of marriage. It is 21 years for men and 18 years for women.
2. Educating people and increasing awareness – Education changes the thinking of people. It leads to better family planning and fewer children by educated families. Most educated men and women do marriages late and plan children according to the norms of government.
3. Improvement in contraceptives – Proper supply of contraceptives has been enhanced, and now contraceptives are available easily online and offline both to control the number of births and unexpected pregnancies.
4. Establishing family planning clinics – Over 150 family planning clinics had been opened for implementing family planning programs to control the growth of the population.
We all should actively participate in controlling the population. We should tell our friends and family about the drawbacks of population increase and guide with the steps to control it and help in solving this problem. It is essential to keep our Earth safe and secure.
We should ensure that adequate amounts of natural resources are available for future generations and help in the economical and financial growth of the country. Population increase is a national issue, and we all should support the government to control it.