Sri Srinivasan Ramanujan was a great mathematician of India who rose to fame during the British rule. The SERB or Science and Engineering Research Board of the government of India presents the prestigious Ramanujan fellowship to commemorate the contributions of the great Shri. Ramanujan.
This fellowship provides highly rewarding funds to highly revered scientists to pursue postdoctoral research as part of the fellowship award. The main idea behind conceiving the Ramanujan fellowship was to bring back great scientific minds that left the country to pursue research at universities abroad.
Scientists and research enthusiasts who are currently pursuing their work abroad in the areas of science and technology, but interested in coming back and serving the country are the main persons called for in this fellowship.
Ramanujan fellowship offers a bright opportunity to work with top notch science and research organizations and contribute to the country’s technological progress.
In this article, we present our readers a fascinating article about Ramanujan fellowship 2020 including various aspects of scheme with respect to important dates, eligibility criteria, application procedure, documentation if any, the procedure for selection, renewal procedure, rewards of this fellowship, various terms and conditions, results, FAQs and contact details.
Ramanujan Fellowship 2020 – Overview
|Provided by||Science and Engineering Research Board (Govt. of India)|
|Fellowship Name||Ramanujan Fellowship|
|Application Timeline||Throughout the year|
Ramanujan Fellowship Key Dates
There is no specific timeline or last date to apply for Ramanujan fellowship. It can be applied throughout the year.
Ramanujan Fellowship Eligibility Criteria
All candidates who wish to apply for Ramanujan fellowship have to fulfill these eligibility conditions:
- Indian citizens [scientists] who are currently staying abroad can apply.
- Foreign nationals interested in a career research in India can also apply.
- Interested candidates should be PhD holders in one of these subject areas – engineering/ medicine/ pure sciences or masters in high level science subjects.
- Previous work experience in the subject pursued is mandatory.
- Candidates must have outstanding knowledge of the subject of interest.
- They should have great credits in terms of publications of their work and presentation of papers in related research areas.
- Candidate must ideally be associated with any science and development organization in the country. The association could be on the basis of a contract/ temporary position or permanent position holder.
Ramanujan Fellowship Application and Selection Procedures
The general condition for applying to Ramanujan fellowship is that candidates should be associated with any science and technology center/ organization in India. This research center should be an establishment that supported the candidate under a qualified guide to pursue and complete his PhD research work.
On the contrary, when candidates move to the application process, they should be ready with a nomination from another science and technology institute that is ready to sponsor and encourage the candidate to take on his research activity to higher levels.
Candidates must seek nominations by consulting concerned personnel from institutions and obtain a letter indicating the same. The letter should be directly sent from the head of the institution or center where the candidate chooses to pursue his new research from. This letter cum application should be forwarded to the SERB.
The SERB has an internal selection committee that looks into every aspect of received applications and takes a decisive judgement on the selection of an applicant.
Duration of Fellowship
The Ramanujan Fellowship is provided for a maximum duration of 5 years. This is not extendable further under any given circumstances or special requests.
Ramanujan Fellowship Rewards and Benefits
The following are the rewards and benefits offered as part of the Ramanujan fellowship:
- A monthly grant amount of INR 1, 35,000 is provided. This grant amount includes HRA benefits too.
- Additional grant amount exclusively for research activities shall be provided at INR 7 lakhs per annum.
- INR 60,000 per annum is offered as additional overhead charges for fellows.
Ramanujan Fellowship – Terms and Conditions
Candidates should be well informed about the following rules and regulations while applying to Ramanujan fellowships:
- The fellowship grant received as part of this fellowship is taxable under the government of India rules.
- This fellowship is a high level offer and is open to scientists/ engineers from all over the world.
- The host institution preferred by the candidate should present the candidate’s nomination to SERB in lieu with the application process to seek fellowship.
- All existing and new concerns and even the most remote areas of science are part of the research subject areas of Ramanujan fellowship.
- Fellows can choose to work in close collaboration with a science and technological organization in India. This organization should not be the parent institute where the candidate pursued his PhD from.
- This scholarship is not extendible beyond 5 years.
- Candidates who receive an offer of a fellowship from SERB should report with an acceptance letter within six months of receiving intimation from authorities.
Ramanujan Fellowship Results
If a candidate is chosen for the fellowship, he/she shall receive intimation from SERB authorities to report to the host institute at the earliest.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can a Ramanujan fellow benefit from the fellowship grant as well as salary provided by the host institution?
No. This is not possible. Candidates should avail the Ramanujan scholarship grant alone.
- If a candidate chooses to change his host institution in the middle of the grant, can it be done?
Yes, it is very much possible. If a candidate obtains permanent posting at the host institute, then he can change his host institute.
- What is the number of international study tours that a fellow can participate in?
One international study tour per annum is allowed, subject to further scrutiny of the needs and requirements of the fellow.
- What are the necessary documents needed for the continuation of fellowship every year?
Candidate’s expenditure certificate together with Utilisation certificate needs to be given every year owing to the automatic continuation of fellowship.
- Can an Indian national working as a scientist in India apply for this fellowship?
No, this is not permissible. Only those candidates who are Indian citizens but are currently associated with a foreign place, but willing to return to India can apply.
The science and engineering research board [SERB] can be contacted at the following details to approach them for any clarifications that students may have.
SERB, 5 and 5A, lower ground floor, Vasant Square Mall, Sector B, Pocket 5, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi – 110 070
Contact number: +911140000398
Official website: serb.gov.in