When an employee seeks termination of his services in the current company he’s serving, he should formally approach the company head with a detailed resignation letter. Usually, matters of resignation are discussed beforehand with company heads and team leaders before the actual process of relieving the employee is stepped up. Nevertheless, for company records and to ensure accountability, resignation letters need to be drafted to the HR or company lead. In this article, we solely focus on the concept and need for resignation letters, writing resignation letters with a professional touch, formats and useful samples, e-mail templates, tips and tricks, and finally, we address important FAQs.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
How to Write a Resignation Letter?
To leave a long-lasting impression with the relieving company, every employee should draft letters carefully by keeping these points in mind:
- Formal Information: The transition between leaving a company and re-joining another one is an elaborate process. To facilitate easy procedural formalities, inform the concerned company head through e-mail/ formal resignation letter at least one month in advance. Putting things on the company’s notice just a few days before planning to leave is considered inappropriate and not appreciated in professional circles.
- Express Gratitude: The experience and learning accumulated during your time in the leaving company should be cherished. Make your seniors informed about your pleasure of working with them through a formal mention in the resignation letter. This creates a positive outlook for the letter.
- Offer Possible Training: The person who is possibly going to take your position shortly should feel comfortable too. Once you leave, he should find it easy to manage things from where you left them. Assist them and offer valuable advice and guide them on critical work-related matters.
- Communicate Clearly: Whenever in doubt about company policies or any discrepancies in settlements, always ask! Speak to the concerned person politely and get matters sorted once and for all.
- Don’t Judge: This is certainly not the time to vent about past unpleasant experiences while at work, with customers or fellow workers. Try to share a good rapport with everyone before you leave the place and encourage healthy talks with your team members during your last few days at the organisation.
- Carry Letter Concisely: Do not story-write the reason for your resignation. Formally put things in order and be precise with facts and information presentation.
- Approach the letter formally: Treat the letter as an official draft and put things in the best possible formal tone! Structure them accordingly, and the choice of words should look professional.
- Make timely edits/corrections: Thoroughly grammar checks your document before you forward them to your seniors, and don’t fall short on spelling errors and commonly possible mistakes. It creates a negative impression about the leaving employee.
Best Resignation Letter Format
Follow the format below to analyse the most appropriate resignation letter:
Date: DD/MM/YYYY format
Company and address
Sub: Resignation letter
Dear Sir/ Ma’am,
I, XYZ, currently serving in your company under the role of [mention current designation], would like to resign from my services as I’m relocating to [mention place] on 5th April 2021. Kindly relieve me from my duties and responsibilities latest by 3rd April 2021.
I achieved very good professional growth and found abundant opportunities that aided in my career upliftment. I thank you for the support offered right from the beginning of my tenure here. I have handed over my work responsibilities to my colleague ABC and ensure continued assistance till I leave the company.
In this regard, I request you to initiate my relieving formalities and settle applicable dues [if any] at the earliest. Thank you for your support.
PS: Kindly note, resignation letters are to be sent to both company HRs and managers [or company head] to ease the relieving process.
Resignation Letter Samples
Let us now understand resignation letters with samples concerning the format explained above:
Example 1 – Employment Resignation Letter Template
No. 65, Gurkrupa Layout,
Rajajinagar 2nd Block,
Indiranagar, Bangalore- 98
Subject: Resignation Letter
I, Surya Mittal, lead consultant at TVC Properties, would like to bring to your kind notice my willingness to resign from the company on 24th March 2021. I’m relocating to Mumbai for personal reasons and hence want to discontinue my services at TVC Properties.
I had a wonderful learning opportunity and career growth prospects at TVC properties. I extend my thanks to you and all my team members for following excellent professional ethics and conduct. I’m currently assisting my colleague Varun Kapoor to take over my work responsibilities after leaving the company.
Kindly facilitate my relieving process without any hassles and initiate a faster settlement of any pending dues from the past. Thank you for your sincere support and co-operation.
Example 2 – Short Resignation Letter Template
A brief and concise resignation letter on-the-go would help employees fast-track the employee relieving process and make it easier to manage on company records. Find a suitable format below:
5th March 2021
Subject: Resignation letter
Dear Ashutosh Sharma Sir,
I, Nakul Mehta, Operations-Lead at Vintage Corporations, would like to resign from my work on 1st April 2021. Thank you for assisting me in my career growth and providing tremendous opportunities to learn in this organisation. I’d like to request you to complete the relieving process in time and settle any pending dues at the earliest.
Employee Id: 1234
E-mail ID: [email protected]
Phone number: 917865321
Important Points to Write Resignation Emails
Here are some time tested valuable tips to write resignation letters like a professional, look into them:
- Every resignation process should begin with a personal discussion with a manager. After a face-to-face talk and confirmation with the company heads through word of mouth, formal resignation letters should be offered. Clearly communicate the reason for your resignation and professionally handle the entire process.
- The entire resignation process should be managed carefully. Take care of important factual matters. Keep an eye on your dues and settlements. All intellectual property belonging to the company should be duly returned backed by a record of submission.
- Train and assist the employee who would take your responsibilities after you leave the company.
- Read your resignation letter thoroughly and make suitable changes wherever there are spelling/ typing errors.
Resignation Letter Email Template
A professional e-mail template for resignation letter would look like this:
Subject Line: Resignation letter
Dear Principal Ma’am,
I, Sharada Rao, serving as Subject Co-coordinator [Lower Primary Wing], Yellow Daffodils School, Bangalore, would like to resign from my work on 31st March 2021. I thank you for the glorious work experience and learning opportunities offered at this school. I’m forever indebted to my children, who treated me with so much love and respect. Kindly initiate the relieving process and complete settlement formalities at the earliest possible date.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1. What is a resignation letter?
A resignation letter is written by an employee to his employer when he wants to quit/ retire from his services due to innumerable reasons.
Question 2. How to prepare a good resignation letter?
A good resignation letter should consist of all these ingredients:
- Date of writing a resignation letter.
- Current roles and responsibilities of the employee at the organisation.
- Complete name, address and employee ID number.
- Resignation declaration by clearly quoting reason for quitting from service.
- Request for settlement of dues.
- Thank you note and expression of gratitude.
Question 3. When should a person write a resignation letter?
When a person decides to leave his current company, he should plan his date of leaving the organisation well in advance. It is unprofessional to leave a company by providing a notice just a few days before quitting. Ideally, an employee should approach his seniors with his decision at least a month before quitting and follow up with a hard copy of the resignation letter.