Essay on Road Safety in 500 Words
There has been a considerable increase in road networks and the number of vehicles in the past few decades. With increasing urbanization, people have started owning more private vehicles. This has led to some serious problems like messy traffic and busy roads.
With vehicles running at high speed, road accidents have become quite common. The collision of vehicles has taken numerous lives. Many families have suffered huge losses due to the ignorance of safety measures. People need to follow traffic rules and take precautionary measures. Only then can we curb these accidents and save lives.
What is Road Safety?
The measure taken for preventing road accidents and ensuring safe mobility is termed as road safety. It is a serious step that must be followed. Road safety rules apply to every individual of this society. Whether you are walking on the road or driving a bike, you must follow these safety rules.
Road accidents can be injurious and even fatal. These traffic accidents mostly affect pedestrians, cyclists, car drivers, or heavy vehicle owners. According to the statistics, around 231000 people in India die due to road accidents every year.
What is more astonishing is up to 16 children lose their lives in these accidents daily. Top Indian states which witness road accident deaths include Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Maharashtra, and Kerala. Seeing such high statistics, even the World Health Organization (WHO) has expressed concern over the matter.
Rules of Road Safety
The safety rules that have been formulated by the government must be obeyed. They help us prevent road accidents that occur due to negligence. Some of these rules include:
- Pedestrians walking on the road must stick to the pavements (on the left side).
- Walk in the zebra line when you cross sides.
- You should also be following the traffic signals.
- While driving a vehicle, do not exceed the speed limit.
- Slow down when you come across a turn or bend in the road.
- People riding two-wheelers should always wear helmets.
- If you are driving a car, put on your seat belt.
- Maintain a considerable distance between the other vehicles to avoid the collision.
- Be mindful of the pedestrians near junctions and busy areas (like schools, hospitals, markets).
- Do not use earphones or mobile while driving or walking on the roads.
- Be well aware of the signs and rules of safety during your travel.
- Parents must accompany their children while crossing roads.
- Look both left and right sides before crossing the road.
- Follow the rules even if there is no rush or it’s a one-way street.
- Do not jump on the dividers or run on the roads.
- Ensure you have an approved driving license as well.
Importance of Road Safety
Road safety ensures the citizens of a country remain safe. It is important because it preserves our lives. Accidents can cause damage besides taking someone’s life. The destruction of property is one of them.
Maintenance or rebuilding the infrastructure needs time and money. Road safety is crucial for the economic growth and stability of a nation. Therefore, we must adhere to these rules and practice them.
Spreading awareness and sensitizing people over this issue will help everyone. Slogans, posters, and campaigns are a few ways to do this job.
Road safety impacts all our lives. It is the only way that can significantly reduce the casualties related to road accidents. Safety always comes first, and everyone must put effort to achieve this goal.
Proper education must be given to the children. Schools and parents are both responsible for inculcating these habits in them. Correct knowledge will help us all in the long run and secure our future.