The Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan, which is a government deemed university located in Delhi, offers the prestigious Sanskrit scholarships for the promotion of the language. Sanskrit is an ancient language in India. Most of the Hindu scriptures, religious texts, hymns, and sacred texts are written in the Sanskrit language. Our ancestors were well versed with the language.
With the passage of time, the language has almost reached a dwindling stage. Mattur in Karnataka is the only village in India where the language is still alive in the spoken form even today. That accounts for less than 1% of the total population that speaks Sanskrit.
Efforts have been taken from time to time by the Indian government to establish institutions of excellence for preserving the cultural heritage and rich history of the language. In this regard, the ministry of MHRD offers merit scholarships in Sanskrit at different levels of education.
This article deals with Sanskrit scholarships 2020 in detail. We elaborate on every aspect of this scholarship in terms of the important dates to make a note of, eligibility criteria, and the detailed ONLINE application process, documents required for the application process, rewards and benefits as part of this scholarship, relevant FAQs and contact details.
Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan Scholarship 2020 – Overview
|Provided by||Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan (Deemed university)|
|Scholarship Name||Sanskrit Scholarship|
Sanskrit Scholarship – Important Dates
Students and their respective educational institutions should carefully note the following dates. The starting and closing timelines of the online registration process should be given special importance. No applications shall be considered after the deadline is crossed.
- Between end of July and Mid of October – Schools should register their profiles in the website portal www.sanskrit.nic.in or optionally at www.scholarship.rsks.in
- Between the end of July and the end of October- Students should ensure their school has been registered online successfully. They can confirm on the official website. Once confirmed, they can apply individually online on portals www.sanskrit.nic.in or optionally at www.scholarship.rsks.in
Sanskrit Scholarship – Eligibility Criteria
Candidates who are doing regular schooling and interested in learning Sanskrit should apply for Sanskrit scholarship. The types of scholarships and their respective eligibility criteria have been listed below:
|Type of course||Eligibility criteria|
|Class 9 [ 1st year – Purva Madhyama/ equivalent]|
|Class 10 [ 1st year – Purva Madhyama/ equivalent]|
|Class 11 [ 1st year – Prak Shastri/ 1st year – Uttara Madhyama OR equivalent]|
|Class 12 [ 2nd year – Prak Shastri/ 2nd year – Uttara Madhyama OR equivalent]|
|1st year BA or 1st year BA honors or 1st year of any equivalent course [ Shastri]|
|2nd year BA or 2nd year BA honors or 2nd year of any equivalent course [ Shastri]|
|3rd year BA or 3rd year BA honors or 3rd year of any equivalent course [ Shastri]|
|1st year MA or equivalent in Sanskrit language/ Pali or Prakrit languages [ Acharya]|
|2nd year MA or equivalent in Sanskrit language/ Pali or Prakrit languages [ Acharya]|
|Ph.D. in Sanskrit language/ Pali or Prakrit languages [ Vidyavridhi]|
Apart from the specific eligibility criteria quoted above, there are some general conditions to be followed by candidates; they are provided below:
- Minimum marks to be scored by candidates belonging to different categories are: For OBC – 55%, For SC/ST and physically handicapped – 50% only.
- For economically weaker classes, no relaxation in minimum marks is granted.
Sanskrit Scholarship – Application Process
The application process followed for Sanskrit scholarships is quite different from other scholarships. Here, the educational institution should have its profile registered online on the official Sanskrit scholarship portal before candidates begin their application process.
The same has been explained step-wise in more detail below:
- Go to the official portal of Sanskrit scholarships – scholarship.rsks.in
- Before beginning the application process, candidates need to get acquainted with the information brochure provided by the organization. Hence, carefully read the guidelines and understand them.
- The educational institutions should first register themselves on the portal. Click on the appropriate link and submit a registration form.
- Details of the educational institution shall be verified by Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan, the Sanskrit scholarship provider, under MHRD within a week of registration.
- For any discrepancy in the entered registration details of the institution, details can be edited or modified as per stipulations. Click on the link to do the needful before the deadline.
- Once the profile of educational institution is registered, candidates can check for the same in their application form drop-down menu.
- IF their institution is successfully registered, it shall appear in the list. The educational institution shall also receive a confirmation message on its official e-mail ID.
- IF an educational institution is not registered successfully, then candidates may consult the head of the institution in such matters.
- Candidates of successfully registered institutions can login to the official portal, enter all details in the application form, upload documents, and submit the application form.
Key Documents For Sanskrit Scholarship
No official documents need to be sent through ONLINE means or OFFLINE method via post. ONLY APPLICATION NEEDS TO BE SENT EXCLUSIVELY ON THE OFFICIAL PORTAL.
However, the Sansthan places the need to send certain proforma for fulfilling conditions along with the application form in the ONLINE mode only. These are:
- Proforma citing that a candidate is currently pursuing a course in Sanskrit / Pali or Prakrit languages.
- Proforma citing that a candidate is not receiving any other similar scholarship while having applied for this scholarship.
- Proforma citing that a candidate is not working or employees in any organization currently when applying for this scholarship.
- Undertaking that in case a candidate finds suitable employment or gets an offer from another scholarship, he/she shall inform the organization immediately about it.
Sanskrit Scholarship – Rewards & Benefits
The rewards and benefits offered by the Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan as part of Sanskrit scholarships are tabulated below:
|Type of course||Rewards|
|Class 9 [ 1st year – Purva Madhyama/ equivalent]||INR 250 per month for 10 months|
|Class 10 [ 1st year – Purva Madhyama/ equivalent]||INR 250 per month for 10 months|
|Class 11 [ 1st year – Prak Shastri/ 1st year – Uttara Madhyama OR equivalent]||INR 300 per month for 10 months|
|Class 12 [ 2nd year – Prak Shastri/ 2nd year – Uttara Madhyama OR equivalent]||INR 300 per month for 10 months|
|1st year BA or 1st year BA honors or 1st year of any equivalent course [ Shastri]||INR 400 per month for 10 months|
|2nd year BA or 2nd year BA honors or 2nd year of any equivalent course [ Shastri]||INR 400 per month for 10 months|
|3rd year BA or 3rd year BA honors or 3rd year of any equivalent course [ Shastri]||INR 400 per month for 10 months|
|1st year MA or equivalent in Sanskrit language/ Pali or Prakrit languages [ Acharya]||INR 500 per month for 10 months|
|2nd year MA or equivalent in Sanskrit language/ Pali or Prakrit languages [ Acharya]||INR 500 per month for 10 months|
|Ph.D. in Sanskrit language/ Pali or Prakrit languages [ Vidyavridhi]|
Frequently Asked Questions
- I belong to SC category. Can I avail concession in marks requirement by providing a caste certificate of my parents?
No. Candidates can avail relaxation in marks for OBC/SC/ST and physically handicapped categories. But they have to provide their own caste certificate. The caste certificate of parents shall not be entertained.
- How can the economically weaker classes avail benefits of their reservation, what documents need to be produced?
Candidates have to produce a valid Income and assets certificate to avail benefits of reservation.
- What is the selection process followed by the organization for the award of scholarship?
- A selection committee shall look into all the applications received.
- The GIAC council shall look into the shortlisted applications of the selection committee.
- Candidates shall b assessed based on their overall grade and percentage and their marks/grades in Sanskrit subject.
- For candidates doing courses in traditional Sanskrit courses, only those marks shall be exclusively considered for candidate assessment.
- The marks obtained by candidates in their previous classes shall also be considered as a part of the candidate assessment.
- IS the scholarship renewed automatically?
Sanskrit scholarships are awarded only for one year [10 months]. After that, candidates have to compulsorily submit a fresh renewal application form for continuing scholarship to the next year of study.
- How do selected candidates receive a scholarship amount?
Scholarship amount shall be provided to selected candidates via E-transfer or NEFT or PFMS. In any case, the payment details shall be written out in a mail directed to the respective educational institution of the candidate.
The Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan can be contacted at the below mentioned details:
Address: No. 56-57, Institutional Area, Janakpuri, New Delhi – 110058
Phone Number: 011-28520979
E-mail address: email@example.com