Save Water Essay in 500 Words
Life on earth is possible because of air and water. After air, the second most important substance on our planet is water. It is difficult to sustain any kind of life form in the absence of water. Our planet earth is known as the blue planet. Out of all the planets present in the universe, the earth is the only one to contain sufficient water that can be put to use.
Seventy-one percent of the earth’s surface is filled with water. However, only a fraction of this water is pure. There are enormous oceans and seas, but water from these cannot be used. They contain excessive amounts of salt, which is not suitable for drinking purposes.
Clean drinking water is a basic requirement for us humans. All kinds of plants and animals also need it to survive. Water is needed in every walk of life. Throughout the day we use water. It is not just utilized for drinking but also used in cooking meals, washing clothes and utensils, generating electricity, cultivating crops, for industrial activities, etc.
Depreciation of water can lead to catastrophic consequences. Huge quantities of water are wasted daily. Water wastage is a burning issue in our world now. Misuse of water needs to stop if we care for our survival.
It is important to realize how valuable water is to us. We need to save water and help maintain the freshwater content so that it is accessible to our further generations. This should be a cumulative approach: we must all come together and put in efforts to eradicate the problem from its root cause.
Why do we need to Save Water?
- Water present in the atmosphere can absorb the heat radiated from the sun. Water is important for maintaining a balance in our entire ecosystem. Condensation of water fills in rivers, lakes, valleys, and even trenches.
- Rainwater flows down the hills and mountains. It carries sediments into the water bodies. Percolation of water in trenches and canyons helps in the formation of minerals and ores.
- The agriculture sector is largely dependent on water. Cultivation of good quality crops is done by using water during the irrigation process. Water transports various nutrients present in the soil to the growing leaves and buds in the plants. This way, plants grow healthy, and farming becomes easier. Farmers rely on rain and other water sources for growth in their business.
- Aquatic species like fish, whales, dolphins, and octopuses need water for their survival. Penguins and seals living in the Polar Regions thrive because of water.
- Mining and steel Industries, Power plants, factories, petrochemical, and textile units require a large amount of water for their continuous production. The heavy machinery used in these industries needs water as a coolant. Thermal power plants need water for the disposal of fly ash. Besides these, the fire department, paper mills, and food sector also utilize water.
- Water is regularly used for household chores. Drinking, cooking, bathing, laundry, etc. all require water.
- Intake of water helps hydrate the body. It also regulates our internal body temperature. Our immune system gets stronger by drinking fresh water. Water detoxifies the toxins present in our kidney and also helps us digest our food. It keeps our skin healthy and filters out the waste in the form of sweat and urine.
Reason for Freshwater Shortage
The primary reason why we have depleting resources of clean and fresh water today is because of careless of water on an everyday basis. Most of the time, while kids are washing hands open the tap and then forget to close it. This is the classic example of wastage of water.
Some areas in the world are subjected to extreme climates. When the weather is excessively hot, the lack of drinking water makes the matter grave. People travel hours and miles to find a reliable source of water. To these people, water is of the utmost importance. Secondly, pollution caused due to urbanization and industrialization has had adverse effects recently. Industrial effluents that make their way to the water bodies contaminate them.
Sewage is dumped into lakes and rivers. Moreover, chemical fertilizers and toxicants from pesticides seep down and infect the underground water table. Scanty rainfalls due to global warming are another reason for the scarcity of water. World Health Organization has mentioned that every other day one or more people die due to lack of potable drinking water. This calls for necessary steps of control and prevention of the ongoing crisis.
Ways to Save Water
There are numerous ways in which we can save water. We should implement the practice of using water diligently. Rainwater harvesting is an excellent way to reuse rainwater for household purposes. Gardening, laundry, flushing toilets can all be made accessible with the use of rainwater.
It can also act like a refill for the groundwater. Using buckets or low flow shower heads instead of conventional shower heads while bathing can save a lot of water.
While washing our face or hands, we should not let the tap run. While washing clothes, using the full capacity of the washing machine is a better approach.
4500 liters of water can be saved per month by incorporating washing machines. Leakage in households results in a huge loss of water supply. We need to be mindful of the leakages and check the taps and faucets from time to time.
While washing dishes, we should make use of the faucet efficiently. Turning it off while soaping and scrubbing dishes is a good habit. We can also be a little more conscious while washing our cars.
Watering plants using water can instead of a hose pipe is always better. Also, we should try to water the plants in the early morning or evening so that they retain more water throughout the day. People waste more water in Festivals like Holi. We should switch to dry colours and try to conserve water.
Apart from all these instances, pollution greatly affects the quality of water and is a potential threat. Proper treatment of industrial effluents and waste discharge is needed. Awareness plays a significant role in any kind of prevention.
Children must be educated about the various benefits of water from an early age. They must be taught about how we can use modern techniques to avoid scarcity of water. Spreading a word on “Save Water Save Life” among friends and families can help create awareness.
Organizing campaigns for this will help people realize the importance of water. This initiative helps promote the conservation of water. Water is the elixir of life. Every drop matters. Indeed we must try our best to save water.