What is Shramev Jayate?
Shramev Jayate or Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Shramev Jayate Karyakram which creates an environment by which encourages the industrial development brings smoothness in the business and helps in expanding the support of the government to impart skill trainings for workers. The scheme was launched in October 2014 by the government of India which was headed by the Bharatiya Janta Party in a function organised by the Ministry of Labour and Employment at Vigyan Bhawan. Shramev Jayate homes five different schemes.
Why Shramev Jayate?
Shramev Jayate is a program which will contribute to the Prime Minister’s vision of ‘Minimum Government and Maximum Governance’ which focused on making the actions of the ministry more transparent and quick. Shramev Jayate will bring labour reforms in the labour sector with the help of the program and other enactments.
The multiplicity of labour laws has always been a hurdle in the development process and many a times has also contributed to differences among the labour force and even between the labour and the employer. Therefore, this program would be helpful in industrial growth and to eliminate the differences between the groups employed in the industry by providing them better space for their growth.
Shram Suvidha Portal
The Shram Suvidha Portal has been established to allot Labour Identification Number (LIN) to about 6 lakh units and asked them to file compliance under certain labour laws. This is a unified portal which consolidates the information of Labour Inspection and its enforcement and this leads to transparency in inspection.
All the information and compliance’s would be provided under a single form which will help those who fill the form by minimising the confusions. This will also keep the form simple and easy enabling everyone to fill the form without having any special knowledge of the same.
The portal is also consisting of an effective grievance redressal system which will provide speedy justice to the parties in dispute. A performance monitor is also established which will assist the program in evaluating the entire process.
Some of the features of the Shram Suvidha Portal as given below:
- Shram Suvidha provides for the Allotment of Labour Identification Number to several units which will enable them to fill the online registration form.
- The process of filing the return is also simplified. Filing of Self certification and single online return by the industry has been activated.
- It has also made compulsory uploading of inspection report within a period of seventy two hours.
- Shram Suvidha Portal has also encouraged timely redressal of grievances.
These features will make the entire process of compliance related to labour and business easy. The portal will be regulated by the centre and the entire database is available to this portal along with the policies of the scheme. The centrally operated portal will be operated in four central organizations that are, the Chief Labour Commissioner, the Directorate General of Mines Safety,
Employee Provident Fund and Employees State Insurance Corporation. The entire data and information from all units which are around 11 lakh all over the country is collected, digitalized and re duplicated in the respective ministry and is reduced to the total number of 6 to 7 lakh. They are responsible to allot Labour Identification Number these 6 to 7 lakh applicants. Therefore, the primary function of the portal was to ease the compliance and has promoted the business.
Universal Account Number
The information of around 4 Crore subscribers of Employees Provident Fund, under this scheme, has been digitalized and prepared and to these, a Unique Account Number has been allotted. This Unique Account Number is given to the vulnerable section of the society after linking their Aadhaar number and checking other Know Your Customer details or any other such information as needed by the banks to allot their Unique Account Number.
This Unique Account number is provided for the purpose of giving economical and social security to the labour force working in various industries. The social and economical security benefits from various schemes will directly be transferred to this account. Every Employees Provident Fund account will get the monthly benefits and the person who receives such benefit will be informed by a message on his registered mobile number.
This will help all the 4 Crore account holders to have an easy access to their accounts and will also make it possible to consolidate the all the previous accounts. Along with this benefit, a benefit of minimum pension of rupees 1,000 per month has been bestowed upon the account holders.
The government has also increased the wage ceiling from Rs. 6500 to Rs. 15,000 so that the vulnerable section of the society could be covered under the Employees Provident Fund Scheme. Therefore, the main purpose of the Universal Account Number is the financial inclusion of the vulnerable section of the society and providing benefits to them.
Random Inspection Scheme
Doing inspections are not new but the method to doing inspections has changed a lot. Previously the location for inspection was selected without a proper objective but now, the entire system has become transparent. For making the system transparent, the government is working hard to make the entire process of Labour Inspection transparent. Some of the important features of the scheme are given below:
- Those matters which are serious in nature should be given priority and should be present in the inspection list.
- The object of the inspection will be decided before hand and a computerized list of inspections will be generated.
- Inspections will also take place after the filing of any complaint. But, the authority will check the authenticity of the complaint by examining data and evidences.
- An emergency list can also be made in serious cases and specific circumstances.
Therefore, the primary purpose of the Random Inspection Scheme is to stop the arbitrary action of an individual in compliance mechanism.
Apprentice Protsahan Yojana
As per the provisions of the Apprentice Act, 1961, the apprentice was given on the job training. There are 4.9 lakh seats which are available for the apprentice but, from this only 2.82 lakh apprentice are working. The schemes have high potential but the defect lies in the low amount of stipend which stops an individual for applying the same.
The government has been taking various initiatives to attract apprentices and one of the major schemes is Apprentice Protsahan Yojana which is liking forward to increase the number of seat to more than 20 lakh in the coming years. There are four elements of this scheme, they are:
- This Yojana will be establishing a friendly legal framework which will be easy for both the industry and youth.
- Increasing the rate of stipend.
- 50% of the stipend to be paid during two years of the training.
- Support must be taken from various government schemes in training the apprentice.
Revamp Rashtirya Swasthya Bima Yojana
The government will attract 93% of the total workers in the unorganised sector. The Revamp Rashtirya Swasthya Bima Yojana is supposed to ensure enhanced quality and access to various services. This also provides a strong grievance redressal mechanism which will save time and money of an individual.
The focus is also on improving the IT structure of the country which in turn shall provide better access of services and monitoring the outcomes from the beneficiaries. The beneficiaries will have to link the enrollment of this scheme with opening of a bank account and linking the same with the Aadhaar card. Under this scheme a wellness check for preventive care was introduced for the first time.
The scheme also covers the construction worker and beneficiary. The scheme has also introduced the benefits of other social security schemes such as the Aam Admi Bima Yojana and National Old Age Pension Scheme on the smart card of the scheme by the help of the improved IT framework.
All India Skill Competition
The Ministry of Labour conducts various competitions through which a healthy spirit of competitiveness among the trainees and apprentice could be achieved. This competition improves the skills of the labour and even helps them to develop some new techniques and habits which are favourable for the entire industry. They give their best in these competitions by simply performing higher quality of work.
Advantages of Shramev Jayate
- The scheme has proved to be effective in targeting a large number of labour forces.
- Labour Identification Number has been successfully allotted to around 4 Crore subscribers.
- Unique Bank accounts have been opened through which the targeted section of the society could get the benefits of the schemes of the Government.
- Laws have been strengthened to provide better environment and stipend to the apprentice.
- Consolidated various labour laws under one umbrella which makes easier for those who want to get themselves registered under this scheme.
- Strengthening of the IT architecture of the country to promote effective access to services and to check the growth of the beneficiaries.
- Inspection process has been made more transparent. Provision for
Disadvantages of Shramev Jayate
- The Labour Identity Number and the Unique Account Number has been provided by linking the Aadhaar card of those who comes under this scheme, but, the fact is not everyone who wants to take the advantage of the scheme is registered under the Aadhaar.
- The sphere of industrial and labour law is very wide and consolidating the same is a difficult task. There might be some area which could be left ignored in the process of consolidation.
- A few people are not aware about this program, therefore the government needs to spread awareness for the same.
Importance of the Shramev Jayate Program
The programs sees the labour issues through the eyes of the labour and not from through the eyes of an industrialist. The entire program is based on the idea that labour should get their right and privileges protected and should be able to enjoy all the benefits of various schemes.
The government believes that when the labour force will security, than the industrial sector will automatically develop. Under Shramev Dev Program, there are various other schemes which are working for the all round development of labour which will also contribute in the growth of the industrial sector.
Thus, the program works for bringing out the potential of all sectors including labour, industrial and Information and technology. The right of the Labour class is prone to be infringed by the industrial class and the program works to save the labour class from such influences and infringement.