The Sikkim Public Service Commission or SPSC conducts the civil services exam to recruit various candidates to the state government posts of the administrative cadre. These posts belong to the state of Sikkim. Candidates must ensure that they satisfy the minimum eligibility criteria for the exam. The recruitment process includes three rounds.
Candidates who wish to attempt the civil services exam can obtain all the information in this article. Here we give all details about Sikkim PSC 2020 like the important exam dates, the online application process, exam fee, admit card details, eligibility criteria, exam pattern, syllabus, cut off, results, vacancies, preparation tips, and recommended books. The official website of the commission is spscskm.gov.in.
Sikkim PSC 2020 – Exam Dates
The exam dates for the prelims and the mains shall be notified on the official website. The most important events with respect to the exam are cited below for reference:
|Exam event||Important dates|
|Release of official notification on the website||To be updated shortly||To be updated shortly|
|Deadline to submit application forms||To be updated shortly||To be updated shortly|
|Admit card issue date||To be updated shortly||To be updated shortly|
|Exam dates||To be updated shortly||To be updated shortly|
|Result announcement date||To be updated shortly||To be updated shortly|
Interested candidates trying to attempt the IAS Exam? Read this article: IAS Exam.
Sikkim PSC 2020 Application Form – Apply Online
Candidates have to fill in the requisite application form and submit in the online mode. Candidates have to fill in all essential information in the application before submission. All candidates should stick to the online mode of submission only. There are no other means to apply for the examination. The commission shall not consider candidates who apply through post/ courier etc.
Steps to follow to send the ONLINE application form
- Go to the official website of the commission.
- On the left-hand column of the homepage, you will find the ‘Apply online’ Tab. Click on it.
- Register yourself by entering valid id and password details.
- Enter the application form window by clicking on the link to the application form.
- Enter all the essential information, compulsory information, and personal details of the candidate.
- Candidates should also upload their documents to validate the details entered in the form.
- Now upload a photograph with correct specifications plus scanned signature.
- Pay the requisite fees
- After verifying all the details that you’ve entered, hit the SUBMIT button.
- You’ll receive an acknowledgment of the submitted application number. Kindly note down the reference id.
- Also, save the submitted application form/ take a print copy of the same.
- The application fee is specified as INR 150 by the state commission.
- Fee can be paid only in the ONLINE mode.
- Extra charges are applicable for each application for making online payment of the fee.
- All candidates should possess valid bank account details.
- Payment can be made via net banking/ credit card/ debit card.
Sikkim PSC Admit Card 2020
The admit card is an essential document without which candidates may not be allowed to take up the examination. All candidates must and should carry the card to the exam hall. It contains all the essential particulars of the candidate like his name, exam venue, timings, etc.
Any discrepancies in the card should be immediately brought to the notice of the commission. The commission can be contacted at the address below:
Sikkim Public Service Commission,
Old Tourism Office, Near Titanic Park, M.G Marg Gangtok – 737101
Steps to download the admit card from the website
- Login into the SPSC website
- Enter the ‘Apply Online section.’
- In the following window, click on the right-hand tab indicating ‘Download admit card/ call letter.’
- Select the office, and the admit card/call for interview letter
- A list of exam links shall be displayed below.
- Select the right link.
- Enter registration number and date of birth.
- Admit card shall be displayed.
- Download/ take the print copy of the admit card.
Sikkim Public Service Eligibility Conditions
All candidates are required to fulfill certain eligibility criteria that serve as minimum conditions to qualify for the examinations. The basic criteria are listed below here:
- All Indian nationals are eligible to apply for the exam.
- Any interstate candidate is welcome to apply for the exam, subject to particular conditions.
- All candidates should hold a bachelor’s degree as a minimum educational qualification.
- Any candidate who has passed graduation of three years is also eligible to apply.
- All degrees should be obtained from a university that is recognized by the government of India.
- Any qualification that is equivalent to the above said degrees, but from a university that is recognized by the government of India.
Minimum age criteria – 21 years
Maximum age criteria – 35 years
Only those categories that belong to the reserved classes shall enjoy relaxation in age criteria. The relaxation is applicable for the upper age limit.
- For SC/ST candidates – 5 years in upper age limit.
- For OBC candidates – 3 years in upper age limit.
Number of Attempts
There is a specific mention regarding the number of attempts laid down by the commission. But candidates should fall within the bracket of age specification laid down by the commission too.
For General categories – 4 attempts
For SC/ST candidates – No limit
For OBC candidates – 7 attempts
Sikkim PSC Exam Pattern
The detailed exam pattern of the SPSC civil services exam consists of the prelims, mains, and the interview round. Let’s take a look at each of the rounds in detail below:
- Prelims are only for qualifying purposes.
- Exam consists of two papers, both objective in nature.
- 2 papers are General Studies 1 and general studies 2 papers.
- Each of them is conducted for 200 marks, two hours each.
- Negative marking is applicable. 1/3rd marks shall be deducted for every wrong answer selection.
|Paper 1||General Studies-I||2 hours||200 marks|
|Paper 2||General Studies-II||2 hours||200 marks|
- The mains exam consists of 3 papers. All the papers are for 200 marks.
- All papers are subjective and descriptive in nature
- Three papers are paper -1 based on general awareness, paper 2 based on general studies, and paper 3 is an optional subject.
- The marks obtained in the mains shall be calculated for the final list of preparing rank of the candidates.
- Both the mains and the interview round marks shall be counted for the grand total of marks.
- All candidates who clear the mains round with marks above the cut off range shall qualify for the interview round.
- Marks allocated for an interview is 50 marks only.
- There is no time limit for the interview round, and it entirely depends on the panel of interviewers who conduct the process.
Sikkim PSC Syllabus
The complete and detailed syllabus for each paper of the exam can be downloaded in pdf format. Candidates have to understand the complete syllabus before beginning preparation. Here is the brief point that must be covered in the syllabus compulsorily:
Paper 1 – General Studies 1
- Current affairs and general knowledge
- GK of Sikkim and latest news and happenings in the state
- Indian constitution and political science studies
- Governance and administration
- General science
- Indian economy and social development
- Environmental studies
Paper 2 – General studies 2 paper
- English comprehension
- Grammar and vocabulary skills
- Language skills
- Data sufficiency questions
- Numerical aptitude
- Maths based problems
- Logical reasoning and arithmetic problems
- General knowledge
- English grammar
- Language and verbs
- Essay writing
- Current affairs of Sikkim state
- Current affairs of national and international importance
- Precise writing and sentence completion
- Basic numerical and maths ability
- Indian history and INM
- Freedom struggle and post-independence era
- Physical geography
- Indian economy and socio-economic development
- IT infrastructure and development
- Infrastructure development in the country including roads, highways etc
- Different types of crops in India
- Climatic changes and vegetation of India.
Personality Test Round
- Current affairs are a favorite topic amongst the panels.
- Sikkim specific questions related to history, language, culture, geography, and population.
- Important facts data and statistics of Sikkim.
- Optional subject related questions.
The commission shall decide the cut off marks for each round of exams. All candidates who fall above the cut off range shall qualify to proceed to the next round of exams. Those candidates who fall short of the cut off criteria shall not move to the subsequent rounds. Candidates should note that the commission shall display the cut off marks on the official website after the announcement of results along with the publication of answer keys.
Results can be obtained on the official website in the following way:
- Login to the homepage of the commission
- Go to the Recruitment section
- Click on the results tab.
- The result window shall open. Click on the appropriate link.
- Enter the correct registration number and date of birth details.
- Download or print results.
The SKPSC civil services exam conducts the exams for various posts. The exact number of vacancies for each job depends on the vacant post lists submitted by each department to the commission. By far, the common posts for which the state civil services do recruitment are given here:
- Deputy Collector post
- Commercial Tax Officer post
- Deputy Superintendent of Police ( Sikkim State cadre)
- Head Master & Principal posts
- Prosthetic and Orthotic Engineer posts
- Sub-Inspector of Sikkim State Police Department
- Graduate Teachers of various subjects( Humanities, Biology & Mathematics )
- Assistant Geologist post
- Graduate Teachers and Post Graduate Teachers for various vacancies.
- Account Officers position
- Post Graduate Teachers post
- Senior Information Assistant officer
- Junior Engineer ( Mechanical Department )
- Photographer in charge
Preparation tips to crack Sikkim Public Service Exam
- Minimum of 4 to 5 months preparation is mandatory.
- The general studies syllabus of the prelims overlaps with that of the mains; hence, preparation can go hand in hand.
- Do not skip any part of the syllabus.
- Along with preparation, revising whatever is learned from time to time is also essential and equally important.
- Refer to standard books and do not pile up unnecessary material.
- Do group discussions and peer studies; it may help in the interview round.
- Stay ahead in current affairs and general knowledge; they form a big chunk of questions.
- Familiarise yourself with the latest developments and government schemes of Sikkim state.
- Learn about the art, culture, languages, and literature of Sikkim.
- Indian Polity by Laxmikanth
- General knowledge series by Lucent and Arihant publications
- Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania
- Certificate Physical and human geography
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh.
- NCERT Books
- India Yearbook.
- India and the world by Surendra Kumar
- History of the Modern world by Jain and Mathur.
Also, Read Other State Civil Services 2020 Articles