Swami Vivekananda Scholarship, more popularly known as Bikash Bhavan Scholarship, is unique, a Merit-cum-Means scholarship scheme (SVMCM) to financially aid the economically poor deserving students of West Bengal State. The scholarship is particularly for the higher secondary level students, undergraduate students, postgraduate students, and higher levels. The scholarship wore a different look with a different set of conditions and rewards, and the same was selectively revised by taking in expert recommendations and suggestions in the year 2016. The total amount dedicated to this scholarship is INR 2000 crore, which has been significantly raised from INR 45 crore before 2016. This article provides detail information about Swami Vivekananda Scholarship 2021, including the last date to apply, eligibility criteria, application process, documents required, selection and renewal process, rewards and benefits.
Swami Vivekananda Scholarship 2021
- 1 Swami Vivekananda Scholarship 2021
- 1.1 Swami Vivekananda Scholarship Eligibility
- 1.2 Swami Vivekananda Scholarship Application Process
- 1.3 Swami Vivekananda Scholarship Selection Process
- 1.4 Swami Vivekananda Scholarship Rewards
- 1.5 Swami Vivekananda Scholarship Renewal Process
- 1.6 SVMCM Scholarship 2021 – FAQ’s
|Provided by||State Government of West Bengal|
|Eligible Standards||Meritorious Students from West Bengal|
|Scholarship Amount||Ranges from 1000 INR – 5000 INR|
|Last Date of Application||July 15, 2021|
|Helpdesk No.||1800- 102- 8014|
Swami Vivekananda Scholarship Eligibility
This scholarship offers grants based on two types of eligibility criteria – basic and detailed. They are explained in detail below:
- Domicile of the candidate must be West Bengal only.
- Candidate must be pursuing studies at the 11th/12th level or higher. Candidate must be pursuing studies at state board education of West Bengal/ council of higher secondary or higher education or Madrasa education or from a state university only.
- Annual family income of candidates should be less than 2.5 lakhs.
Specific Eligibility Criteria
Based on the course being pursued by the candidate, every level/course of education has particular conditions to be fulfilled and the same has been enlisted below in the detailed eligibility criteria
|Course of Study||Eligibility Criteria|
|Class 11th/ 12th|
|Diploma/ Polytechnic courses|
|M-Phil/ Non- NET candidates and NET LS research fellows|
Swami Vivekananda Scholarship Application Process
All candidates have to apply ONLINE for this scholarship. Every course has a different hyperlink which can be accessed on the online portal (SVMCM). The application procedure for minorities is quite different, they have to apply via the official portal of West Bengal Minorities’ Development and Finance Corporation. All procedures are made ONLINE, any candidate submitting separate hard copies to the commission shall not be entertained whatsoever. The step by step procedure to apply for scholarships via the online portal SVMCM is explained below:
- Registration – Go to the official website and click on the new user registration tab based on the course/ category that you pertain to.
- Account Login – After obtaining your registered user Id and password, log into your account on the official portal.
- Application Form Filling – Go to the application dashboard and enter the application form area. All details marked as compulsory should be filled in. All entries should be correct and verifiable. Wrong entries won’t be entertained.
- Scan and Upload Documents – Check the specified size and format to upload required documents on the online portal. Upload documents to support your application.
- Submit Application Form – After verifying and cross-checking all details, upload the institute verification form that has to be duly signed by the head of your institution. After this step, candidates can finally submit their application form.
List of Required Documents
The online application form needs supporting documents to be submitted along with the application for verification and cross-checking by authorities. For validation, all these documents should be uploaded in a specified format and size only.
- Mark sheets of the last exam passed by candidate [ both sides of mark sheet to be uploaded]
- Admit card obtained for the Madhyamik / equivalent exam.
- Income certificate / income affidavit form.
- The first page of the candidate’s bank passbook.
- Aadhaar card or Voter ID card or ration card
- Recent passport photo with size less than 50 KB
- Institute verification form to be attested/ duly verified by the head of the institution.
Swami Vivekananda Scholarship Selection Process
In general, Merit-cum-Means scholarship is operated on two terms – merit record of the candidate cum financial consideration. This holds well with this scholarship as well. The selection process for this scholarship is explained in the following steps:
- The first metric upon which applications are evaluated is the academic record/ merit of the candidate. So starting from the highest scorers all applications received are arranged and organized.
- Next, based on the least income metric applications are further re-shuffled.
- A student who fairly rises in both these metrics stands a chance to qualify for this scholarship.
- This prepared list is then sending for document verification round.
- Candidates who emerge successful in this validation shall be shortlisted to receive scholarships.
- The scholarship amount is disbursed directly into the applicant’s account through DBT.
Swami Vivekananda Scholarship Rewards
This scholarship provides a wide range of courses and the scholarship amount in correspondence with the courses is arranged accordingly. Generally, the scholarship amount varies between INR 1000 per month to INR 5000 per month. The rewards and benefits details with respect to each level of education have been enlisted below for reference:
Directorate of School Education (DSE)
- For higher secondary courses – INR 1000 per month
Directorate of Madrasa Education (DME)
- High Madrasa course – INR 1000 per month
Directorate of Public Instruction (DPI) for General Degree Courses
- For an undergraduate course in arts – INR 1000 per month
- For an undergraduate course in commerce – INR 1000 per month
- For an undergraduate course in science – INR 1500 per month
- For an undergraduate course in UGC approved professional streams – INR 1500 per month
- For a postgraduate course in arts – INR 2000 per month
- For a postgraduate course in commerce – INR 2000 per month
- For a postgraduate course in science- INR 2500 per month
- For a postgraduate course in UGC approved professional streams – INR 2500 per month
- For Non NET- Mphil/Non-NET Ph.D. courses – between INR 5000 – INR 8000 per month
Technical Education at College or Universities
- For undergraduate and postgraduate courses in engineering/ professional courses approved by AICTE – INR 5000 per month
Directorate of Technical Education and Training (DTE &T)
- For undergraduate polytechnic courses – INR 1500 per month
Directorate of Medical Education
- Undergraduate courses in a medical stream – INR 5000 per month
- Undergraduate diploma courses in a medical stream – INR 1500 per month
Swami Vivekananda Scholarship Renewal Process
The renewal process has to be undertaken by the candidate through the online portal and completed within the stipulated time limits as set by the committee. Some of the prominent factors of the renewal process are explained below:
- Renewal of this scholarship is done owing to the last year’s academic performance of the scholar.
- Minimum marks for a student to obtain while being promoted from higher secondary to undergraduate courses is 60%.
- Minimum marks required to obtain a scholarship for a postgraduate level of studies is 50%.
- Additional requirement that all candidates should clear their exams (all semesters) in the first attempt only.
- The renewal process follows the application procedure and is explained below:
- Log into the online application portal.
- Click on the ‘renewal Application’ tab.
- Re-enter all details and update wherever necessary.
- Re-upload all supportive documents.
- Submit the renewal application.
Some of the additional documents to be uploaded during the renewal process apart from regular list of documents:
- If scholarship renewal is being done for 2nd year of study, then the 1st and 2nd-semester mark sheets need to be uploaded.
- For 3rd-year scholarship renewal (for undergraduate courses) – 3rd and 4th-semester mark sheets to be uploaded.
- For 2nd-year scholarship renewal (PG courses) – mark sheets of 1st and 2nd semesters.
SVMCM Scholarship 2021 – FAQ’s
1. How to obtain the institute verification form?
Answer: The institute verification form can be downloaded in pdf format from the official website.
2. Can I upload the institute verification form after application form submission or not?
Answer: In case you are facing delays to get the institute verification form signed the head of your institution, then you can submit the application form first. Then you can upload the verification form at the earliest.
3. What are the levels of education for which this scholarship is offered?
Answer: This scholarship is offered for UG courses, PG courses, Mphil and doctoral studies.
4. Can students studying in colleges outside West Bengal also apply for this scholarship?
Answer: NO. It is mandatory for students to be pursuing courses only in the state of West Bengal. Institutes must be recognized by the government of Bengal.
5. Can we modify/correct wrongly entered data in the application form after submission?
Answer: Any data in the application form that is not genuine shall be treated as invalid. After verification, the application would be deemed cancelled.
Address: Higher Education, Science and Technology, and Biotechnology Department, Bikash Bhavan, 6th Floor, Salt Lake, Kolkata – 700091
Contact Number: 1800- 102- 8014
E-mail: [email protected]