To celebrate the fiftieth year of Indian independence in a commendable way, the government of India under the department of science and technology introduced the Swarnajayanti Fellowship scheme to meritorious students. The fellowship aims to promote scientific temper among young and enthusiastic scientists.
The fellowship is awarded to exceptionally meritorious candidates who have achieved laurels in the field of research and technology. The awarded fellowship does not cater to any institution of excellence but pertains to the scientist alone and his area of working.
The selected fellows shall be attached to an institute of excellence that shall nurture his ideas and promote his working and talent towards building new innovations in science and technology.
In this article, we present Swarnajayanti Fellowships with explanations on various parameters like important dates, detailed eligibility criteria, the procedure of application, documentation required, process of selection, rewards and benefits, terms and conditions attached with the fellowship, important FAQ’s and contact details.
Swarnajayanti Fellowships Scheme 2020 – Overview
|Provided by||Department of Science & Technology, Government of India|
|Fellowship Name||Swarnajayanti Fellowship|
Swarnajayanti Fellowships – Key Dates
First and foremost, let’s discuss the most important dates attached to Swarnajayanti fellowships. Take a look:
- Commencement date of fellowship applications – 15th April 2020
- Deadline to submit completed application forms – 30th April 2020.
All applications should be sent online before the specified deadline of 30th April 2020 by 23:59 hrs. Applications submitted later or requests to extend the deadline shall not be entertained whatsoever.
Swarnajayanti Fellowships Eligibility Criteria
In this section, we discuss the eligibility conditions to be fulfilled by desirable candidates. Before moving to the application section, readers are recommended to go through this section in detail:
- Only Indian nationals can apply.
- Candidate should be currently serving in a commendable position in an Indian academic center or organization or research facility.
- Contribution of the candidate in terms of scientific publications and research writings should be extensive on record.
- All candidates should be PhD holders in one of these streams – science and technology OR engineering OR medicine background.
- Candidate should not be in receipt of any other similar fellowship from the government of India.
- Age group of applicants to be between 30 to 40 years only.
- Candidate could be currently residing in India or any foreign country.
- Candidate should obtain a bonafide letter from the science and technology establishment that he intends to pursue his fellowship at. The letter from the respective head of the institution should state that the facility shall make suitable arrangements from the management side and other necessary units in lieu of the candidate’s research requirements.
How to Apply For Swarnajayanti Fellowships?
The advertisement with regard to Swarnajayanti fellowships shall appear every year. Candidates can refer to the official advertisement to apply correctly in the specified format mentioned. Apart from the basic application, candidates may need to submit additional documents and a presentation of the same as and when required. The step by step procedure is explained below:
- Go to the official portal of DST – onlinedst.gov.in
- Click on ‘New Registration’ and complete registration formalities.
- The registration form requires login information, personal information and contact information.
- Once a candidate is registered, he/she shall receive an e-mail verification link. Candidates can click on the link to get their account activated.
- Now click on ‘generate password’ tab, and you can save a new password for login purposes.
- Login to the website again with details registered just now.
- Read through the complete instructions before stepping in to form filling.
- Enter details in the application form and click on submit button.
Key Documents Required For Swarnajayanti Fellowships
Candidates should not submit any documents at the time of application. If the applicant is chosen for further rounds of the process, then the following documents need to be presented at the time of verification:
- ID card issued by the parent institute
- PAN card or Aadhaar card of the candidate
- Birth certificate
- All mark sheets and certificates of higher qualifications
- Specific mark sheets of the qualifying exam
- Address proof of candidate – passport or driving license
Swarnajayanti Fellowships – Selection Process
The selection for Swarnajayanti fellowships is an elaborate procedure taking place in many phases. Inputs from experts at DST shall be collaborated, and final decision formed based on committee suggestions.
The counting factors, merits and demerits are accounted based on the innovative aspects of candidate’s research. Also, the extensiveness of research carried out by the candidate together with the originality of work carry higher points for the award of the fellowship. Candidates who are researching on current areas of interest in science and technology stand a better chance to win the fellowship.
Swarnajayanti Fellowships – Rewards and Benefits
The following benefits and rewards shall be presented to the candidate upon selection to Swarnajayanthi fellowship. The fellowship is offered for a total duration of 5 years. No extension of the fellowship is carried out under any given circumstances. The list of benefits is described below:
- Fellowship grant of INR 25,000 per month
- Regular monthly payment from the parent institution where the candidate is conducting his research
- Monetary assistance for research work.
- Financial expenses are covered for costs incurred to buy equipment, contingencies and other similar requirements.
- Study tour allowances, for both national and international travel, shall be provided.
- Based on merit and considerations from the parent organization, any additional monetary assistance shall be provided from time to time.
Swarnajayanti Fellowships – Terms and Conditions
Candidates have to abide by these terms and conditions when applying to Swarnajayanti fellowship:
- All candidates have to present original documents which would be returned back to them at the time of verification.
- Candidates must be in a position to explain the implementation and applications of their project ideas before the final round of selection is done.
- Innovative and captive ideas that are going to set new benchmarks in the field of science and technology shall be invited from applicants. Ideas should be original and have a long lasting impact on the working area.
- All information submitted should be correct and supported with documentation. Providing false and incorrect information shall lead to disqualification of the candidate from his fellowship application.
Swarnajayanti Fellowships Results
Here are a few points to understand while checking the results of your fellowship application:
- The official list of shortlisted candidates for pursuing research under Swarnajayanti fellowship shall be displayed on the official portal of DST, the government of India.
- Candidates can visit the link to look out for results.
- The list of selected candidates is provided subject-wise in the form of PDF documents.
- Candidates can click on the PDF list pertaining to their line of specialization and check for their name.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is offering the Swarnajayanti fellowship?
The Department of Science and Technology under the government of India is offering the prestigious Swarnajayanti fellowship.
- What is the deadline to apply for Swarnajayanti fellowships?
Candidates should submit their online applications before the end of April 2020.
- What is the basic financial grant amount offered under Swarnajayanti fellowships?
INR 25,000 per month is the basic grant offered under this scheme.
- What is the maximum duration for which Swarnajayanti fellowships are offered?
This fellowship can be availed for a maximum duration of 5 years, not more than that.
- What is the maximum age allowed for applying to Swarnajayanti fellowship?
Candidates in the age group of 30 to 40 can apply. The age is taken into consideration as on 31st December 2019.
For any queries or doubts regarding Swarnajayanti fellowships, kindly connect with the person stated below:
Mr. Neeraj Sharma, [Scientist-F], DST, Government of India, Technology Bhavan, New Mehrauli Road, New Delhi – 110 016
Contact number: 91 11 26567373 [ext no. 223]
E-mail ID: firstname.lastname@example.org