The UPPSC or Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission is the state commission that is in charge of conducting the state civil service exams. The commission conducts the exams to appoint officers for entry-level cadres to the various administrative positions of the Uttar Pradesh government.
This article gives complete details about the UPPSC 2020 notification, exam dates, the online application process, application fee, various eligibility criteria, exam pattern, syllabus, vacancies, preparation tips, results and cut off, good books that are recommended, etc. Candidates are encouraged to check the complete details before applying for the examination. The official website of the UP state commission is http://uppsc.up.nic.in
UPPSC 2020 – Exam Dates
The official dates for each event concerned with the UPPSC exam is given below. Candidates are requested to keep track of the deadline and apply well in advance.
|UPPSC civil service Application Start Date||To be updated|
|Deadline to submit online application||To be updated|
|Last Date pay application fees||To be updated|
|UPPCS Admit Card will be available for download from||To be updated|
|UPPSC PCS Preliminary Exam||To be updated|
|UPPSC PCS Main Exam||To be updated|
UPPSC 2020 Application Form
Candidates have to check the official website to see if the link to apply online has been activated in due course. The application will have to be sent by the candidate before the deadline. The application form can be sent only in the online mode. Candidates have to thoroughly check the eligibility criteria and other conditions before applying for the exam.
Steps to download and submit application form
- Access the home page and create the correct registration of the candidate. Login with registered details.
- An application form can be downloaded from the official site.
- The application form has two parts – part 1 and part 2.
- Part 1 asks for all the personal information of the candidate. Enter all details correctly and check before submission.
- Part 2 consists of the section where the candidate can pay the fee online.
- Once both the sections of the application form are completed, candidates can submit the form.
- Upon acknowledgment, candidates can note down the correct reference id for all future communications.
UPPSC PSC Application Fees
Fees for different categories of candidates vary, and the same has been provided below for quick reference:
- For general merit candidates – INR 125
- For SC/ST candidates- INR 65
- For persons with disabilities – INR 25
Fees can be paid in both online and offline modes.
- Online mode – candidates can pay the fee via debit card/ credit card/ internet banking facilities.
- Offline mode – Candidates have to remit the fee in any of the recognized SBI branches and obtain a challan acknowledgment for the same. They have to enter the challan number in the online application form then.
Steps to pay fees in the online application form
- Access the home page of the official site and login with details.
- Go to part 2 of the application form.
- Traverse to the area where you will be allowed to make the fee payment.
- Choose your mode of paying fees.
- After the successful receipt of fees, an acknowledgment will be received.
Fees once paid to the commission will be non-refundable under any circumstances.
UPPSC PSC 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates are advised to thoroughly check the eligibility criteria before they apply for the exam.
- Indian citizens are eligible to apply for the exam.
- Upon satisfying certain standing conditions, interstate candidates can also apply.
- The minimum educational qualification required to appear for the exam is a three-year bachelor’s degree or equivalent from any recognized university of India.
- There is also a specific post that needs specific educational qualifications and specialization in a particular field of study.
- Candidates applying for the exam should fall in the age bracket of 21 to 40 years to be able to apply for the exam.
The age relaxation for reserved category students is mentioned below:
|Category of candidates||Relaxation permitted|
|SC candidates||5 Years in upper age limit|
|ST candidates||5 Years in upper age limit|
|OBC candidates||5 Years in upper age limit|
|Sports background Persons||5 Years in upper age limit|
|State Government Employees||5 Years in upper age limit|
|Physical Handicapped candidates||15 Years in upper age limit|
|Ex. Servicemen category||5 Years in upper age limit|
Number of attempts
There is no specific number of attempts that a candidate will be allowed to make, but he has to adhere to the relaxation in the upper age limit strictly.
UPPSC 2020 Admit card
The admit card is an essential document for candidates to carry to the exam hall. It contains all relevant personal details of the candidate. Without the document, candidates may not be allowed to take up the exam.
Steps to download admit card
- Visit the official site of the Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission.
- Login with your details.
- Check if the admit card is available for download.
- Enter your registration number, date of birth, and captcha code, if any.
- Once the admit card is displayed, check for all relevant details.
- Print/ save a copy of the same.
UPPSC 2020 Exam Pattern
The exam pattern of UPPSC consists of three rounds – the prelims, mains, and the interview round.
- The prelims exam consists of two papers – general studies 1 and general studies 2.
- Each paper is allocated 200 marks.
- The duration of each exam is 2 hours.
- There will be around 100- 150 questions.
- The paper is of objective type.
- This exam is for qualifying purposes only.
|Paper 1 – General Studies||2 Hours||200 marks|
|Paper 2 – General Studies||2 Hours||200 marks|
- The mains exam consists of six compulsory papers and only one optional subject.
- Candidates have to quote their preference for the mains exam in the application; the optional subject will further have two papers.
- All papers carry equal marks of 200.
- All papers are conducted for a duration of three hours each.
Here we present the list of compulsory subjects:
|General Hindi paper||150 marks|
|Essay in general English||150 marks|
|General Studies Paper I ( GS paper 1)||200 marks|
|General Studies Paper II ( GS paper 2)||200 marks|
|General Studies Paper III ( GS paper 3)||200 marks|
|General Studies Paper IV ( GS paper 4)||200 marks|
The list of optional subjects shall be provided in the official notification for the candidate to mention at the time of the application process.
- The test is conducted for a maximum of 200 marks.
- Candidates are tested on general awareness, mental abilities, managerial capabilities, interpersonal interactions, good communication skills, suitability for civil services, etc.
- Time duration varies between each candidate.
Are you aspiring to attempt UPSC examination? Read this article: UPSC Exam
The syllabus for each section of the exam, in brief, is given below. Kindly refer the below section for details:
The prelims consist of the following syllabus areas.
- General studies paper 1: Focus on the history of India and Indian national movement, Indian politics, governance, geography, general science, economics, environment, and social development topics.
- General studies paper 2: Focus on comprehension, general mental ability, reasoning, analytical thinking, problem-solving aspects, elementary and foundation concepts of mathematics.
The syllabus for the six papers of mains exam is provided below:
- General Hindi – focus on grammar, essay type of questions, comprehension, letter writing, sentence correction, paragraph writing skills, etc.
- English Essay – Essay may be asked from diverse fields such as literature, Indian culture, science and technology, economical development of the nation, agriculture based, or any current topics of importance.
- General studies 1 paper – Importance to be given to ancient and medieval history of India, social development of women, industrialization, women empowerment, natural resources distribution in our country, border issues, etc.
- General studies paper 2 – politics and Indian constitution, role of Union and state governments, allocation of power, finance commission, working of parliament, executive and judiciary, etc.
- General studies paper 3 – economic planning, land reforms, food processing, liberalization, public distribution system and infrastructure development, science and technological development and various achievements, etc.
- General studies paper 4 – ethics and human values, human interface, probity in governance, contributions of writers and philosophers, civil service code, conduct, integrity, ethics, and values, etc.
There is no fixed syllabus for the interview section of the exam. It all depends on the panel of interviewers who will cross-examine the candidate on various topics such as:
- Current affairs
- General knowledge
- Subject chosen by the candidate
- Other subject related questions, etc.
The cut off marks vary every year. The state commission decides the cut off marks for the corresponding year by giving weight age to a number of factors like:
- Number of participants and the number of candidates who cleared the test.
- Toughness level of the exam.
- Section wise vacancies in various departments.
- Any other criteria decided by the state commission for the current year.
Candidates can check the cut off marks on the official website soon after the results are announced.
UPPSC PSC Results
The state commission will display results after each phase of the examination. The results, along with the answer keys, will be made available to candidates on the official site.
Steps to check results on the official site
- On the home page, access the link/section that provides the results.
- Click on the appropriate exam that you’re seeking results for.
- Enter the correct data to get the mark sheet.
- Usually, registration number, date of birth, and captcha code will be required.
- IF all entries are made correctly, then the mark sheet will be displayed.
- For any discrepancies in the mark sheet, candidates can approach the commission using the helpline numbers displayed on the site.
- Take a print copy or save the mark sheet as a pdf copy for future references.
UPPSC 2020 Vacancies
The UPPSC conducts recruitment via UP state civil service examination 2020 for vacancies to various positions. Some of the top positions in the cadre include upper subordinate services, range forest officer, assistant conservator of forests, etc., among others. The specific number of vacancies will be updated soon.
|Sub Registrar in transport department as Assistant Prosecuting Officer||To be updated soon|
|District level Basic Shiksha Adhikari OR Associate DIOS ( This post also includes other equivalent administrative posts like District Administrative Officer post)||To be updated soon|
|District Cane Officer post, U.P. state Agriculture Service under Group “B” category||To be updated soon|
|District Audit Officer post||To be updated soon|
|Assistant Controller for Legal Measurements at both levels (Grade-I) / (Grade-II)||To be updated soon|
|Assistant Director post for department of Industries (Marketing/Handloom sections)||To be updated soon|
|Assistant Labour Commissioner post||To be updated soon|
|District Program Officer post||To be updated soon|
|Senior Lecturer post under DIET||To be updated soon|
|District Probationary Officer post||To be updated soon|
|Designated Officer post / Food Safety Officer post||To be updated soon|
|Statistical officer post||To be updated soon|
|Information Officer post/ District Information Officer post/ Script Writer post/ Feature Writers post/ In charge officer of English||To be updated soon|
|Principals of Government Intermediate Colleges (For both Boys and Girls)||To be updated soon|
|Labour Enforcement Officer post||To be updated soon|
Preparation Tips to crack UPPSC PSC
- The number of candidates that appear for the exam is relatively high compared to other states. Candidates have to brace themselves for tough competition.
- Beware of negative marking in the exam and practice according to that.
- Try the best method of ‘elimination criteria’ when it comes to multiple-choice questions.
- Keep a timeline of events for the complete year in which the exam is conducted and track them for the latest updates.
- Memorize all important facts and figures.
- Practice from previous year question papers
- Write down all important facts and important data and present them on flashcards.
- Put more focus on the economic, social, and political scenarios of the UP state.
- The political system and latest developments in bureaucracy and governance of the country need to be given due importance along with administrative and geographical notes.
- Referring to NCERT textbooks is a must.
Best books for Uttar Pradesh PSC
Here are some of the best books that we recommend as part of your preparation. Candidates shouldn’t get overwhelmed by the list of books; instead, they must try and find out the best sources from where they can get the best information possible for the relevant subject and study according to that. Here is the suggestive list:
- History of Modern India by author Bipin Chandra
- Book on Geography – A Comprehensive Study – by Mahesh Kumar Barnwal
- Book on Environmental Studies: From Crisis to Cure by author Rajagopalan
- Uttar Pradesh Year Book ( For economics studies)
- For General Science, refer Lucent Publications book on Science.
Also, Read Other State Civil Services 2020 Articles
|MPSC Exam||UPPSC Exam||GPSC Exam|
|JPSC||WBPSC Exam||BPSC Exam|
|RPSC Exam||TNPSC Exam||Meghalaya PSC|
|MPSC Manipur||KPSC Exam||Kerala PSC|
|APPSC Exam||Arunachal Pradesh PSC|