Kashmiri is one of the optional literature paper in IAS Mains Exam. It consists of two papers, i.e. (Paper I and II) carries 250 marks each, in a total of 500 marks. This paper is considered an easy one, for aspirants who are well versed with the Kashmiri language and are familiar with the grammatical aspects too! It is considered an easy ride for those who are native Kashmiri speakers and have a hold on the general characteristics of the language. This article provides you with the latest UPSC Kashmiri Syllabus for IAS Mains 2021. Download the complete syllabus PDF from here.
UPSC Kashmiri Syllabus – Paper I
Answers must be written in Kashmiri
- Genealogical relationship of the Kashmiri language: various theories.
- Areas of occurrence and dialects (geographical/social)
- Phonology and grammar:
- Vowel and consonant system;
- Nouns and pronouns with various case inflections;
- Verbs: various types and tenses.
- 4. Syntactic structure:
- Simple , active and declarative statements;
- Kashmiri literature in the 14th century (Socio-cultural and intellectual background with special reference to Lal Dyad and Sheikhul Alam)
- Nineteenth century Kashmiri literature (development of various genres: vatsun; ghazal; and mathnavi).
- Kashmiri literature in the first half of the twentieth century (with special reference to Mahjoor and Azad; various literary influences).
- Modern Kashmiri literature (with special reference to the development of the short story, drama, novel and nazm).
UPSC Kashmiri Syllabus – Paper II
Answers must be written in Kashmiri.
- Intensive study of Kashmiri poetry up to the nineteenth century:
- Lal Dyad
- Sheikhul Aalam
- Habba Khatoon
- Kashmiri poetry: 19th Century
- Mahmood Gami (Vatsans)
- Maqbool Shah (Gulrez)
- Rasool Mir (Ghazals)
- Abdul Ahad Nadim (N’at)
- Krishanjoo Razdan (Shiv Lagun)
- Sufi Poets (Text in Sanglaab, published by the Deptt. of Kashmiri, University of Kashmir)
- Twentieth Century Kashmiri poetry (text in Azich Kashir Shairi,published by the Deptt. of Kashmiri, University of Kashmir)
- Literary criticism and research work: development and various trends.
- An analytical study of the short story in Kashmiri.
- Afsana Majmu’a, published by the Deptt. of Kashmiri, University of Kashmir.
- Kashur Afsana Az, published by the Sahitya Akademi
- Hamasar Kashur Afsana, published by the Sahitya Akademi
- The following short story writers only: Akhtar Mohi-ud-Din, Kamil, Hari Krishan Kaul, Hraday Kaul Bharti, Bansi Nirdosh, Gulshan Majid.
- Novel in Kashmiri:
- Mujrim by G.N. Gowhar
- Marun-Ivan Ilyichun, (Kashmiri version of Tolstoy’s The Death of Ivan Iiyich (Published by Kashmiri Deptt).
- Drama in Kashmiri
- Natuk Kariv Band, by Hari Krishan Kaul
- OK Angy Natuk, ed. Motilal Keemu. published by Sahitya Akademi.
- Razi Oedipus, tr. Naji Munawar, published by Sahitya Akademi.
- Kashmiri Folk Literature:
- Kashur Luki Theatre by Mohammad Subhan Bhagat, published by Deptt. of Kashmiri, University of Kashmir.
- Kashiry Luki Beeth (all volumes) published by the J & K Cultural Academy.
UPSC Kashmiri Syllabus 2021 – PDF Download