Konkani is one of the optional literature paper in IAS Mains Exam. It consists of two papers, i.e. (Paper I and II) carries 250 marks each, in a total of 500 marks. This paper is considered an easy one, for aspirants who are well versed with the Konkani language and are familiar with the grammatical aspects too! It is considered an easy ride for those who are native Konkani speakers and have a hold on the general characteristics of the language. This article provides you with the latest UPSC Konkani Syllabus for IAS Mains 2021. Download the complete syllabus PDF from here.
UPSC Konkani Syllabus – Paper I
Answers must be written in Konkani.
Section A – History of the Konkani Language
- Origin and development of the language and influences on it.
- Major variants of Konkani and their linguistic features.
- Grammatical and lexicographic work in Konkani, including a study of cases, adverbs, indeclinable and voices.
- Old Standard Konkani, new Standard and standardization problems.
Section B – History of Konkani Literature
Candidates would be expected to be well-acquainted with Konkani literature and its social and cultural background and consider the problems and issues arising out of them.
- History of Konkani literature from its probable source to the present times, with emphasis on its major works, writers and movements.
- Social and cultural background of the making of Konkani literature from time to time.
- Indian and Western influences on Konkani literature from the earliest to modern times.
- Modern literary trends in the various genres and regions including a study of Konkani folklore.
UPSC Konkani Syllabus – Paper II
Answers must be written in Konkani. Textual Criticism of Konkani Literature. The paper will be designed to test the candidate’s critical and analytical abilities. Candidates would be expected to be well-acquainted with Konkani Literature and required to have a first-hand reading of the following texts.
Section A – Prose
- Konkani Mansagangotri (excluding poetry) ed. by Prof. Olivinho Gomes
- Old Konkani language and literature-the Portuguese Role
- Otmo Denvcharak-a novel by A.V da Cruz.
- Vadoll ani Varem-A novel by Antonio Pereira.
- Devache Kurpen-a novel by V J P Saldanha.
- Vajralikhani-Shenoy Goem-bab-An anthology-ed. by Shantaram Varde Valavalikar
- Konkani Lalit Niband-Essays-ed. by Shyam Verenkar
- Teen Dasakam-An lAnthology-ed. by Chandrakant Keni.
- Demand-Drama-by Pundalik Naik
- Kadambini- A miscellany of modern Prose-ed. by Prof. OJF Gomes & Smt. P.S. Tadkodkar.
- Ratha Tujeo Ghudieo-by Smt. Jayanti Naik.
Section B – Poetry
- Ev ani Mori: Poetry by Eduardo Bruno de Souza.
- Abravanchem Yadnyadan-by Luis Mascarenhas.
- Godde Ramayan-ed.by R.K. Rao
- Ratnahar I &II-collection of poems-ed. R.V. Pandit.
- Zayo Zuyo-poems-Manohar L. Sardessai.
- Kanadi Mati Konkani Kavi-Anthology of Poems-ed. Pratap Naik.
- Adrushatache Kalle-Poems by Pandurang Bhangui.
- Yaman- Poems by Madhav Borkar
UPSC Konkani Syllabus 2021 – PDF Download