IAS Exam has one of the optional literature paper as Malayalam. It has two papers (I & II), each of 250 marks summing up to 500 for the paper. This paper proves to be a scoring subject for aspirants who are well versed and acquainted with the Malayalam language. Having knowledge of the grammatical aspects of the language is also essential. It is easy to crack this optional subject for those who are native Malayalam speakers and familiar with it. This article provides you with the latest UPSC Malayalam Syllabus for IAS Mains 2021.
UPSC Malayalam Syllabus – Paper I
Answers must be written in Malayalam
Unit 1 – Early phase of Malayalam Language
- Various theories: origin from proto Dravidian, Tamil, Sanskrit.
- Relation between Tamil and Malayalam: Six nayas of A.R. Rajarajavarma.
- Pattu school-definition, Ramacharitam, later pattu works-Niranam works and Krishnagatha.
Unit 2 – Linguistic Features
- Manipravalam-definition. Language of early manipravala works-Champu, Sandesakavya, Chandrotsava, minor works. Later Manipravala works-medieval Champu and Attakkatha.
- Folklore-Southern and Northern ballads, Mappila songs.
- Early Malayalam prose-Bhashakautaliyam, Brahmandapuranam, Attaprakaram, Kramadipika and Nambiantamil.
Unit 3 – Satandardisation of Malayalam
- Peculairities of the language of Pana, Kilippattu and Tullal.
- Contributions of indigenous and European missionaries to Malayalam.
- Characteristics of contemporary Malayalam : Malayalam as administravie language. Language of scientific and technical literature-media language.
Unit 4 – Ancient and Medieval Literature:
- Pattu-Ramacharitam, Niranam works and Krishnagatha.
- Manipravalam-early and medieval manipravala works including attakkatha and champu.
- Folk literature.
- Kilippattu, Tullal and Mahakavya.
Unit 5 – Modern Literature-Poerty
- Venmani poets and contemporaries.
- The advent of Romanticism-Poerty of Kavitraya i.e., Asan, Ulloor and Vallathol
- Poetry after Kavitraya.
- Modernism in Malayalam poetry.
Unit 6 – Modern Literature-Prose
- Short story
- Biography, travelogue, essay and criticism.
UPSC Malayalam Syllabus – Paper II
Answers must be written in Malayalam. This paper will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed and is designed to test the candidate’s critical ability.
- Ramacharitam-Patalam 1.
- Kannassaramayanam-Balakandam first 25 stanzas.
- Unnunilisandesam-Purvabhagam 25 slokas including Prastavana
- Mahabharatham Kilippattu-Bhishmaparvam.,
- Kumaran Asan-Chintavisthayaya Sita.
- G. Sankara Kurup-Perunthachan.
- N.V. Krishna Variar-Tivandiyile Pattu.
- ONV -Bhumikkoru Charamagitam
- Ayyappa Panicker-Kurukshetram.
- Akkittam-Paudatha Messanthi
- Attur Ravivarma-Megharupan.
- O. Chanthu Menon-Indulekha
- O V Vijayan-Khasakkinte Ithihasam.
- MT Vasudevan Nair-Vanaprastham (Collection).
- N S Madhavan-Higvitta (Collection).
- C J. Thomas-1128-il Crime 27.
- Kuttikrishna Marar-Bharataparyatanam
- M. K Sanu-Nakshatrangalute snehabhajanam
- V.T. Bhattathirippad-Kannirum Kinavum.
UPSC Malayalam Syllabus 2021 – PDF Download