IAS Exam has one of the optional literature paper as Nepali. It has two papers (I & II), each of 250 marks summing up to 500 for the paper. This paper proves to be a scoring subject for aspirants who are well versed & acquainted with the Nepali language. Having knowledge of the grammatical aspects of the language is also important. It is easy to crack this optional subject for those who are native Nepali speakers and familiar with it. This article provides you with the latest UPSC Nepali Literature Syllabus for IAS Mains 2022. Download the complete syllabus PDF from here.
UPSC Nepali Syllabus – Paper I
Answers must be written in Nepali.
- History of the origin and development of Nepali as one of the new Indo-Aryan Languages
- Fundamentals of Nepali Grammar and phonology:
- Nominal forms and categories :- Gender, Number, Case, Adjectives, Pronouns, Avyayas
- Verbal forms and categories- Tense, Aspects, Voice, Roots and Fixes
- Nepali Swara and Vyanjana;
- Major Dialects of Nepali
- Standardisation and Modernisation of Nepali with special reference to language movements (viz. Halanta Bahiskar, Jharrovad etc.)
- Teaching of Nepali language in India-Its history and development with special reference to its socio-cultural aspects.
- History of Nepali literature with special reference to its development in India.
- Fundamental concepts and theories of literature: Kavya/Sahitya, Kavya Prayojan, Literary genres, Shabda Shakti, Rasa, Alankara, Tragedy, Comedy, Aesthetics, Stylistics.
- Major literary trends and movements: Swachchhandatavad, Yatharthavad, Astitwavad, Ayamik Movement, Contemporary Nepali writings, Postmodernism.
- Nepali folklores (the following folk-form only)- Sawai, Jhyaurey, Selo, Sangini, Lahari.
UPSC Nepali Syllabus – Paper II
Answers must be written in Nepali. This paper will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed below and questions will be designed to test the candidate’s critical acumen.
- Santa Jnandil Das-Udaya Lahari
- Lekhnath Poudyal-Tarun Tapasi: (Vishrams III, V, VI, XII, XV, XVIII only)
- Agam Singh Giri-Jaleko Pratibimba : Royeko Pratidhwani (The following poems only-rasawako Chichy-ahat-sanga Byunjheko Ek Raat, Chhorolai, Jaleko Pratibimba : Royeko Prati-dhwani, Hamro Akashmani Pani Hunchha Ujyalo, Tihar).
- Haribhakta Katuwal-Yo Zindagi Khai Ke Zindagi : (The following poems only – Jeevan : Ek Dristi, Yo Zindagi Khai Ke Zindagi, Akashka tara Ke Tara, Hamilai Nirdho Nasamjha, Khai Many-ata Yahan Atmahutiko Balidan Ko).
- Balkrishna Sama-Prahlad
- Manbahadur Mukhia-Andhyaroma Banchneharu (The following One-Act plays only-‘Andhyaroma Banchneharu’, ‘Suskera’).
- Indra Sundas-Sahara
- Lilbahadur Chhetri-Brahmaputrako Chheuchhau
- Rupnarayan Sinha-Katha Navaratna (The following stories only-Biteka Kura, Jimmewari Kasko, Dhanamatiko Cinema-Swapna, Vidhwasta Jeevan).
- Indrabahadur Rai-Vipana Katipaya (The following stories only-Raatbhari Huri Chalyo, Jayamaya Aphumatra Lekha-pani Aipugi, Bhagi, Ghosh Babu, Chhutyaiyo).
- Sanu Lama-Katha Sampad (The following stories only-Swasni Manchhey, Khani Tarma Ekdin, Phurbale Gaun Chhadyo, Asinapo Manchhey).
- Laxmi Prasad Devkota-Laxmi Nibandha Sangraha (The following essays only-Sri Ganeshaya Namah, Nepali Sahityako Itihasma Sarvashrestha Purus, Kalpana, Kala Ra Jeevan, Gadha Buddhiman Ki Guru?)
- Ramkrishna Sharma-Das Gorkha (The following essays only-Kavi, Samaj Ra Sahitya, Sahityama Sapekshata, Sahityik Ruchiko Praudhata, Nepali Sahityako Pragati).
UPSC Nepali Syllabus 2022 – PDF Download