Odia is one of the optional literature paper in IAS Exam. It consists of two papers, i.e. (Paper I and II) carries 250 marks each, in a total of 500 marks. This paper is considered an easy one, for aspirants who are well versed with the Oriya language and are familiar with the grammatical aspects too! It is considered an easy ride for those candidates who are native Oriya speakers and have a hold on the general aspects of the language. This article provides you with the latest UPSC Odia Literature Optional Syllabus for IAS Mains 2021. Download the complete syllabus PDF from here.
UPSC Mains Odia Syllabus Paper – I
Answers must be written in Oriya.
History of Oriya Language
- Origin and development of Oriya Language-Influence of Austric, Dravidian, Perso-Arabic and English on Oriya Language.
- Phonetics and Phonemics : Vowels, Consonants Principles of changes in Oriya sounds.
- Morphology : Morphemes (free, bound compound and complex), derivational and inflectional affixes, case inflection, conjugation of verb.
- Syntax : Kinds of sentences and their transformation, structure of sentences.
- Semantics-Different types of change in meaning Euphemism.
- Common errors in spellings, grammatical uses and construction of sentences.
- Regional variations in Oriya Language (Western, Southern and Northern Oriya) and Dialects (Bhatri and Desia)
History of Oriya Literature
- Historical backgrounds (social, cultural and political) of Oriya Literature of different periods.
- Ancient epics, ornate kavyas and padavalis.
- Typical structural forms of Oriya Literature (Koili, Chautisa, Poi, Chaupadi, Champu).
- Modern trends in poetry, drama short story, novel, essay and literary criticism.
UPSC Mains Odia Syllabus Paper – II
Answers must be written in Oriya. The paper will require first hand reading of the text and test the critical ability of the candidate.
- Poetry (Ancient)
- Sãralã Das-Shanti Parva from Mãhãbharãta.
- Jaganãth Das-Bhãgãbate, XI Skandha-Jadu Avadhuta Sambãda.
- Dinãkrushna Dãs-Rasakallola- (Chhãndas-16 & 34)
- Upendra Bhanja-Lãvanyabati (Chhãndas-1 & 2)
- Rãdhãnãth Rãy-Chandrabhãgã
- Mãyãdhãr Mãnasinha-Jeevan Chitã
- Satchidãnanda Routray-Kabitã-1962
- Ramãkãnta Ratha-Saptama Ritu.
- Manoranjan Dãs-Kãtha-Ghodã
- Bijay Mishra-Tata Niranjanã
- Fakir Mohan Senãpati-Chhamãna Ãthaguntha
- Gopinãth Mohanty-Dãnãpãni
- Short Story
- Surendra Mohãnty-Marãlãra Mrityu
- Manoj Dãs-Laxmira Abhisara
- Chittaranjan Dãs-Taranga O Tadit (First five essays).
- Chandra Sekhar Rath-Mun Satya-dhãrma Kahuchhi (First five essays)
UPSC Odia Syllabus 2021 – Download PDF