IAS Exam has one of the optional literature paper as Persian. It has two papers (I & II), each of 250 marks summing up to 500 for the paper. Duration of each paper is 3 hours. This paper proves to be a scoring subject for aspirants who are well versed & acquainted with the Persian language. Having knowledge of the grammatical aspects of the language is also important. It is easy to crack this optional subject for those who are native Persian speakers and familiar with it. This article provides you with the latest UPSC Persian Literature Syllabus for IAS Mains 2021. Download the complete syllabus PDF from here.
UPSC Persian Syllabus – Paper I
There will be two questions which must be answered in Persian. The remaining questions must be answered either in Persian or in the medium of examination opted by the candidate.
- Description of the origin and development of Persian language (to be answered in Persian).
- Applied Grammar, Rhetorics, Prosody, Idioms and Phrases frequently used.
- Grammar: Ism and its kinds, Zamir-e-Muttasil and Munfasil, Murakkabi-Tausifi, Murakkab-i-Izafi, Ismi-Ishara, Musharun Elaih, Fel and its kinds, Tenses, Gardan, singular and plural, Jumleh and its kinds.
- Rhetorics: Tajnees, Ishteqaq, Luzum-ma-la-yalzum, seyaqatul Aadad, Qalb, Tarsee, Esteaara, Maratun Nazir, Laff-o-Nashr, Iham, Husn-i-Taalil, Tajahuli-Aarefaneh, Talmih, Tansiqus Sifat.
- Prosody: Bahri-Muzara, Ramal, Mutaqarib, Tawil, Hazaj, Kamil.
- Short essay in Persian-250 words (to be answered in Persian).
- History of Persian Literature in Iran and India; Literary criticism and styles; trends in classical and modern literature; socio-cultural influences, development of modern literary genres including drama, novel, short story.
UPSC Persian Syllabus – Paper II
There will be two compulsory questions–one each in textual portions of prose and poetry which are to be answered in Persian. The remaining questions are to be answered either in Persian or in the medium of examination opted by the candidate. This paper will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed and will be designed to test the candidate’s critical ability.
- Nizami Aroozi Samarqandi: Chahar Maqala:
- Qabus.b, Washmgir : Qabus Nama :
- Dar Shinakhtan-e-Haqq-e-Pidar-wa- Madar
- Dar Bishi Justan Az Sukhandani
- Dar Talib Ilmi Wa Faqih Wa Fuqaha
- Sadi Shirazi : Gulistan:
- Dar Tasir-e-Suhbat
- Moh. Awfi : Jawameul Hikayat:
- First Ten Hikayaat
- Ziauddin Burney : Tarikh-i-Firozshahi:
- Wasaya-i-Sultan Balban Be Farzand-e-Buzurg
- Abul Fazl Ain-e-Akbari:
- Ain-e-Manzil Dar Yurisha
- Ain-e-Cheragh Afrozi
- Dash Akul
- Mohd. Hijazi :
Textual portions of prose and poetry are to be explained in Persian compulsorily.
- Firadausi : Shahnama:
- Khayyam : Rubaaiyat (Radif Alif and Be)
- Saadi Shirazi : Bustan:
- ‘Dar Adl-u-Tadbir-u-Rai’
- Amir Khusrau: Majmua-i-Diwan-e-Khusrau. (Radif Dal)
- Maulana Rum: Mathnawi Maanawi
- (First Half of Daftar Duwwum)
- Hafiz : (Radif Alif and Dal)
- Urfi Shirazi : Qasaaid:
- Iqbal-e-Karam Migazad Arbabi-Himam Ra.
- Har Sukhta Jane Ki Ba Kashmir Dar Ayad.
- Sabah-e-Idd Ke Dar Takiyagah-e-Naz-u-Naeem.
- Ghalib: Ghazaaliyat (Radif Alif)
- Bahar Mashhadi:
- Dar Barabad-e-Khuda
- Nimayushij :
UPSC Persian Syllabus 2021 – PDF Download