Essay on Vehicle Pollution: Vehicles help in easy transportation of humans and commodities. They also save time and energy compared to other modes of travel. But they emit harmful gases like carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide and sulphur oxide that are harmful to the environment. They are very poisonous and can cause ozone layer depletion. They cause suffocation, difficulty in breathing and skin cancer. Safety measures like carpooling, quality checks and CNG engines installation can be adopted for a cleaner environment.
Essay on Vehicle Pollution 500 Words in English
Below we have provided Vehicle Pollution Essay in English, suitable for class 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10.
With the increasing population & globalisation mobility has been given topmost priority in recent years. It has pumped up our transportation technology with the increasing number of vehicles on the road. Let it be the number of cars, motorbikes, buses or trucks carrying materials, in everything; there is a noticeable increase in numbers in the last couple of years. It has become necessary for the human race, without which life on earth seems impossible. The transportation system has brought the world closer, saving a lot of time & energy.
Though the vehicles have made our lives easy & simple, it has given birth to more severe problems that are no more unnoticed by any of us. Air Pollution has become a significant concern worldwide. One of the significant contributors to air pollution is Vehicle Pollution. Research suggests that automobiles do pay a higher toll on the environment.
Causes of Vehicle Pollution
The principal of the motors use fossil fuels & gases as a source of energy to run, for example, diesel, petrol being the most common. It creates many harmful pollutants on combustion. Few pollutants which emit from automobiles affect our environment adversely, which has been discussed below.
- Ozone – It is beneficial for us when present in the topmost layer of the atmosphere. However, if it is produced at ground level, then it gives rise to many respiratory diseases, cough, reduced lung capacity etc. It forms at ground level when hydrocarbons & nitrogen oxide reacts at the presence of sunlight.
- Particulate Matter -The fine particles from the vehicular emission pose the most serious to human health by penetrating deep into the lungs.
- Nitrogen Oxides – NOX type of oxides is the kind of vehicular pollutants which causes lungs irritation & decreases the immunity of the body against respiratory infections like pneumonia & asthma. These also help in the formation of the ozone layer at the ground level, which is a severe issue.
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) – By the combustion of fossil fuel used in cars, carbon monoxide is created. It is an odourless & colourless gas. When inhaled this causes blockage of oxygen to the brain, heart & lungs.
- Sulphur Dioxides (SO2) – By combustion of diesel, this kind of sulphur dioxide is produced. It helps in creating fine particles in the atmosphere & poses the risk of severe health problems to young children.
Effects of Vehicle Pollution
- Global Warming – Automobiles are one of the significant sources for the emission of greenhouse gases. The temperature of the earth is increasing day by day, posing adverse weather problems.
- Smog & Acid Rain – Nitrogen oxides produced from car emissions contribute to the formation of corrosive smog. When Nitrogen oxides mix with water, it gives rise to acid rain. The form of water from acidic rain is not fit for consumption or any other kind of usage.
- Poor Air Quality – Due to increasing pollution rate, the air quality has dropped drastically. In a few places, people are using a mask to decrease the number of pollutants inhaled. Older vehicles contribute more to the cause.
- Ozone Layer Depletion – Carbon monoxide & Sulphur dioxide released from the vehicle emission has contributed to the depletion of the ozone layer, allowing more ultra-violate rays to penetrate from the sun. It has posed a threat to life on earth.
How to Prevent Vehicular Pollution?
- Awareness & Education – Education is the key to success. Many of the people are not aware of the deadly consequences of vehicular pollution. Carrying out civic education & awareness among people regarding the rising problem & its effects can be a vital step to reduce its effects.
- Progressive Policies – Creating ethical rules & regulations that anticipate the challenges of the modern world when it comes to reducing vehicle pollution can be beneficial in mitigating it. Policymakers must make laws that will make people take the necessary steps which will help in bringing down the pollution. These include pollution checking of vehicles on a timely basis, discarding old vehicles from the loops, odd-even rule, encouraging alternate fuels etc.
- Vehicle Maintenance – It not only ensures the excellent performance & efficiency of the vehicle but also helps to check the pollution. Replacing oil filters, engine oil etc. timely leads to less pollution.
- Public Transport – Instead of using their vehicle using public transport must be encouraged, for this government must take initiatives to ensure the availability of transportation & comfortable, a safe journey of the passengers.
- Carpooling – People travelling to the same place daily must share the car instead of using their vehicle like while going office, market etc. It reduces pollution as well as saves money; fuel &also helps in reducing traffic jams.
- Alternative Fuels – Vehicles with alternative fuel option like CNG, battery, electricity or with any green energy must be given priority over any other kind of vehicle & must be encouraged by the government.
- Electric Vehicles – Future will be much safer with the development of commercial electric vehicles. The government must encourage such kind of projects to large scale so that the problem can be given a serious thought.