WBPSC 2021: The full form of WBPSC is West Bengal Public Service Commission. WBPSC has issued a notification for West Bengal Civil Services Examination 2021 on its official website. Interested candidates can refer to the advertisement and start applying for the same. This article gives detail information about WBPSC 2021 notification that includes exam date, eligibility criteria, application process, admit card, exam pattern, syllabus, result and more.
WBPSC 2021 Exam Date
|Release of Official Notification||November 2020|
|Availability of Online Application Form||1st week of November 2020|
|Last date to submit Application Form||Last week of November 2020|
|WBCS Prelims Exam||February 09, 2021|
|Issue of Prelims Answer Key||February 10, 2021|
|WBCS Main Exam||December 2021|
WBPSC 2021 Application Form
The WBSC application form can be submitted only in the ONLINE mode. Candidates who submit more than one application for the examination will be disqualified. Candidates must enter their preference of services they are applying for, with care. Once entered, the choice can’t be altered at a later stage. Below we have provided step by step WBPSC application process in detail.
- Visit the WBPSC official website – pscwbonline.gov.in
- Click on the tab indicating an ‘Online Application Form’
- Register and Login on the website.
- Enter all relevant details with correctness. Enter only that information that is supported by proofs or documents.
- Entering all data in the first part completes Part-I of the application.
- Check all the details twice and submit them. A reference id will be created.
- Check Part-II of the application with login details.
- Enter fee details – online/ offline mode of payment, etc.
- Upload all relevant documents pertaining to details entered, plus scanned the latest photograph and scanned signature of the candidate.
- After all, entries are accurate, click on the submit button.
- All data is thus recorded in the application form, and the same would be submitted to the commission.
- Candidates should make a note of the reference if for all future uses.
Candidates can pay the application fees in two modes – online and offline modes. In online mode, the fee can be paid via internet banking/ debit card/ credit card etc. In offline mode, fee to be remitted in any of the recognized SBI branches upon which challan will be issued. Challan number to be entered in the online application. The WBSC application fee for each category varies and the same has been given for quick reference:
- General Category and Backward Classes – INR 210. (additional service charge of 1% to be paid in case of online submission)
- For SC/ST Candidates – No Fees.
- Persons with Disabilities having more than 40% of disability rate – No Fees.
WBPSC 2021 Eligibility Criteria
- Nationality: The candidate must be a citizen of India. The exam is open to interstate candidates as well, owing to certain standard conditions.
- Education Qualification: Graduation or equivalent from a recognized university. Candidates must have the ability to understand, read, write, and also speak in the Bengali language. Candidates whose native language is Nepali are barred from the requirement of knowing the Bengali language.
- Age Limit: Candidates should be above 21 years and below 32 years as on 1st August 2020 to appear for the exam.
- Age Relaxation: Age relaxation is not applicable to unreserved category candidates. It is only applicable to reserved category candidates. Below are the details of age relaxation for different categories:
- SC/ST candidates – 5 years in upper age limit specification.
- Backward classes candidates belonging to non-creamy layer – 3 years in upper age limit specification.
- Number of Attempts: There is ‘No’ specific information regarding the number of attempts a candidate can make, but they should strictly stick to the upper age limit specified in the official notification.
WBPSC 2021 Exam Pattern
The West Bengal Civil Service Exam is a three-tier exam consisting of two written rounds and an interview round. The written exams include the preliminary and the main exam rounds.
Prelims Exam Pattern
The marks obtained in the preliminary exam are not considered for totalling in the final merit list. The preliminary round is only qualifying in nature, and it screens candidates to move ahead for the next main exam round. The prelims round will contain 200 objective type questions with multiple choice answers. Each question carries 1 mark, and hence, the total marks are 200.
|General study||Total Marks|
|Current events of National & International Importance||25|
|History of India||25|
|Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal||25|
|Indian Polity and Economy||25|
|Indian National Movement||25|
|General Mental Ability||25|
Mains Exam Pattern
- WBSC Main Exam consists of a total number of eight papers
- Descriptive Type of questions.
- Six compulsory papers and one optional subject consisting of two papers.
- Each paper will carry 200 marks and is conducted for a duration of 3 hours.
|Paper I||Bengali/Hindi/Urdu languages||200|
|Paper III||General Studies I||200|
|Paper IV||General Studies II||200|
|Paper V||Constitution of India an Indian Economy||200|
|Paper VI||Arithmetic and Reasoning Abilities||200|
|Paper VII||Optional Subject – Paper I||200|
|Paper VIII||Optional Subject – Paper II||200|
- All candidates who successfully clear the main round of examination will be called in for the next round of interview/personality test.
- Marks obtained in the interview round will be calculated and considered for shortlisting.
- The total marks comprising the main exam and interview round will decide the ranking of the candidate in the final list.
WBPSC 2021 Syllabus
Below we have provided WBPSC Syllabus in detail.
- General English Composition – Synonyms and Antonyms, Idioms and Phrases, Vocabulary Test, Phrasal Verbs,Homophones, Fill in the qualifying words
- General Science – General appreciation, Understanding of science, Matters of everyday observation, Experience as expected from an educated person not having made special studies of scientific disciplines.
- Current affairs at local, national, and international levels – social, economic, and political news.
- History of India with importance to freedom struggle movement – ancient, medieval, and modern history.
- Geography of India and geographical features of West Bengal in particular – physical, social and economical geography, natural resources, agriculture, etc.
- Indian Politics and Economical studies – Indian Community System, Panchayat Raj, country’s political functionary, etc.
- Indian independence struggle and freedom movement – Indian national movement, important leaders and events, rallies, movements, etc,.
- General Mental Ability – Logical Reasoning, Common Aptitude
- Paper I: Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali – Letter writing (within 150 words) / Drafting of Report (within 200 words), Précis Writing, Composition and Translation from English to Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali.
- Paper II: English – Letter writing (within 150 words) / Drafting of Report (within 200 words), Précis Writing, Composition and Translation from Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali to English
- Paper III: General Studies-I : (i) Indian History with special emphasis on National Movement and (ii) Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal.
- Paper IV: General Studies-II Science and Scientific & Technological advancement, Environment, General Knowledge, and Current Affairs.
- Paper V: The Constitution of India and Indian Economy including the role and functions of the Reserve Bank of India.
- Paper VI: Arithmetic and Test of Reasoning. The Compulsory Mathematics paper will be of the standard of Madhyamik Examination of the Board of Secondary Education, West Bengal.
- Paper VII/VIII: Paper VII & Paper VIII are Optional Paper.
- Questions of general awareness and current events can be expected. The panel will test the alertness and grasping capacity of candidates.
- The clarity in thinking and understanding, plus logical aspects of the working of the candidate will be assessed.
- Intellectual capabilities and questions on moral grounds can be asked.
- Leadership qualities and capability to lead high-rise roles.
- Questions on self-interest/ hobbies.
- Questions based on the optional chosen in the main exam.
WBPSC 2021 Admit Card
The admit card for WBPSC shall be available on the official website for download from January 2021 (tentative) onwards. The admit card contains important details related to the candidate like name, date of the exam, time and duration and exam center, and venue. All candidates must carry the admit card to the examination hall. The admit card should be accompanied by a valid government-issued photo ID card/ document to the exam hall. The step by step process to download WBSC Admit Card 2021 is given below
- Log in to the official website using correct login details.
- Click on the tab indicating the download of admit card.
- Enter registration number, date of birth, and captcha code, if any.
- Download the admit card.
- Print/save as PDF for future references.
WBPSC 2021 Cut off
The WBSC Cut off marks for the examination varies every year. Cut off marks are decided by the authorities after conducting the exam. It is decided based on the number of candidates applied, the number of vacant positions, etc. Approximate cut off for 2020 is listed below:
- For unreserved categories, cut off marks could be predicted for 2020 as 110 marks.
- For SC, the range could be 98 to 100 marks.
- For ST, the range could be between 75 to 80.
- For OBC, it could be around 105.
WBPSC 2021 Result
The result for the WBSC exam, after completion of each phase, shall be updated on the official website. Students can check the website to see if the results are announced. Results will be announced in three stages – for prelims, mains, and interview round. The step by step process to check WBPSC Result 2021 is given below
- Visit official website of the commission – pscwbonline.gov.in
- Click on the link that will provide results.
- Under the name of the exam, select the exam that you have applied for.
- Enter your correct registration number, date of birth, and captcha code, if any.
- Fetch your mark sheet to view your marks.
- Print/ save a PDF copy of the mark sheet for future references.
WBPSC 2021 Vacancies
The vacancies for different posts under each group are yet to be announced by the commission. Below we give a brief look at the various positions vacant.
- West Bengal Civil Service (Executive)
- West Bengal Labour Service
- West Bengal Food and Supplies Service
- Assistant Commissioner of Revenue in the integrated West Bengal Revenue Service
- West Bengal Co-operative Service
- West Bengal Employment Service [Except the post of Employment Officer (Technical)]
- West Bengal Police Service
- Deputy Assistant Director of Consumer Affairs and Fair Business Practices
- West Bengal Junior Social Welfare Service
- Superintendent, District Correctional Home / Deputy Superintendent, Central Correctional Home
- Joint Block Development Officer
- Joint Registrar (West Bengal State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission under the Consumer Affairs
- Department, Government of West Bengal)
- Assistant Canal Revenue Officer (Irrigation)
- West Bengal Subordinate Land Revenue Service, Grade-I
- Assistant Commercial Tax Officer
- Chief Controller of Correctional Services
- Inspector of Co-operative Societies
- Panchayat Development Officer under the Panchayat and Rural Development Department
- Rehabilitation Officer under the Refugee Relief and Rehabilitation Department
WBPSC 2021 Preparation Tips
- Every topic in the syllabus is very important. Therefore do not leave behind any topic.
- General reading in newspapers and magazines apart from prescribed books is highly recommended.
- Stay updated with the change in the syllabus.
- Refer to WBSC previous year question papers to get a better idea of the question paper scheme.
- Mark all key points from study notes as well as from previous year papers.
- Take up online assessments and mock test series to improve your performance levels.
- Self-assessment, through reviewing answers after attempting, is a good practice.
- Before beginning actual preparation, go through in detail, all elementary concepts and basics learned in schools and college levels.
- Minimum 6 hours per day for at least five months is highly recommended.
- Balance and devote equal amounts of time to various sections of the exam.
- Improve your speed and accuracy levels.
Best Books for WBSC 2021
- NCERT Class 11 and 12 History and Geography books
- Must refer to Quantitative Aptitude and Reasoning by R.S Aggarwal.
- Reference book pertaining to Objective General English by S.P Bakshi
- Current Affairs could be studied from Pratiyogita Darpan and Malayala Manorama Yearbook magazine.
- History could be studied from Bharoter Itihas by Dr. Atul Chandra Roy
- For Indian Polity, refer book by M Laxmikanth
- Book on Indian Economy by author Ramesh Singh
- Refer to Mac Book for General Mental Ability for general aptitude questions.
- Handy book on Phrasal Verbs Dictionary – 2nd Edition by Cambridge Dictionary
- (Standard book )All Competitive Exams Idioms & Phrases collection – 2nd Edition by author Roshan Tolani