World Animal Day – 4th October 2020
The international day to commemorate the importance of caring for animals is celebrated on October 4th every year. The day is very significant in terms of caring, protecting, and spreading awareness of the need to stop the cruelty.
World animal day is celebrated generally by all citizens without distinguishing between their caste/creed, religion, economic and social status. It brings people together on the grounds of humanity and an exhibition of love for animals. Worldwide celebrations are sponsored by a UK-based organization working for the welfare of animals.
This organization, called Naturewatch foundation plans most of the celebrations for the international event. This article focuses on many aspects of World Animal Day 2020 concerning its history, significance, themes, celebration, and FAQs.
World Animal Day 2020 – History
In English countries, a very formal feast day is organized and celebrated for world-renowned spiritual preachers. Amongst them was Francis of Assisi, a noteworthy saint who worked for the cause of animal protection.
Francis of Assisi saw around him with painful eyes about the misery of animals. He understood their plight and wanted to heal their pain. In this regard, he spoke to people about not harming animals. He went around propagating messages of love and care for the welfare of animals.
He took up various initiatives to help people understand the need to care for animals. He strived to share his love and concern for them and was a prominent champion cum patron of animal welfare during his time.
World Animal Day is celebrated in commemoration of Francis of Assisi’s birthday. In the year 1931, an international conference was held in Italy by a group of expert environmental scientists. They spoke at length about the effects of global climate change and various measures to tackle them.
It was in this convention that a common understanding was sought out in favour of animals and October 4th became the date for future world animal day celebrations. However, digital awareness within the online community came much later in the year 2003. A dedicated website exclusively representing animal welfare activities was first started by the Naturewatch Foundation.
Significance of World Animal Day 2020
Naturewatch Foundation is a fundraising organization that pools resources to fund animal welfare programs. Many charitable events and money-raising awareness programs are initiated as part of World Animal day to help people understand their various outreaches and the work that they are involved in.
They put in efforts from all corners to gather people and make them understand the need to protect animals. The delicate balance that animals help in preserving the ecological life cycle is necessary to keep the world alive and moving.
Due to animals, the food chain is active and balanced at every stage of the plant-animal life cycle. If a particular species of animal is wiped out from the chain, the disturbance it creates has far-reaching effects, and a whole series is brought down in the chain.
With evolution, many new species arrive on the scene, yet endangered animals also need to be preserved from extinction. Not just the animals that are becoming scarce, but even the popular animals around, need homes and social care.
Just like how we need food, shelter, and homes for survival, even animals have equal rights to hope and live for sustained life. Animals have feelings too. The plight of abandoned strays on roads is miserable as there is no one to care for them.
Many animals are beaten and forced to undergo cruel, inhuman treatments. Slaughterhouses are banned under the law by the government, yet they thrive in dark areas of the country, forcing animals to be killed mercilessly.
Cruelty to animals is the most inhumane thing we see today, right from pelting stones to beating and caning, using them for wrong things, etc. Hence World animal day is celebrated to bring awareness in this regard.
World Animal Day 2020 Themes
Let us understand the themes of past year world animal day celebrations so we can better relate to the happenings from around the globe, take a look:
- The year 2016 presented a broad theme that read “Efforts to raise the status of animals so that combined strategies could lead to increased welfare standards”.
- The idea of 2017 focussed on a bigger and better approach and gave wings to the animal welfare movement. The widespread progress was made a global force to push the ceiling and make room for better living conditions for animals.
- 2018 came closer to animal care and protection themes. It read “Celebrating human relationship with the bigger and better animal kingdom”.
- 2019 focussed on underwater animal life, the idea for that year was “Life below water bodies: for the people and also the planet”.
- 2020 is awaiting exciting feedback on this year’s current theme “Man and Dog”. This year’s focus entirely on the world of canines, so we can expect a lot of pleasantries our way.
World Animal Day 2020 Celebration
There are no fixed quarters of celebration ruling the day, as animal day throws open a huge theme for the entire globe. All of us, in our capacities, can organize events in our neighbourhoods and celebrate the importance of animals in our lives. Here are some ways to gather ideas:
- Event organisers can be hired to create an animal-based theme to create public awareness on various aspects of animal protection, preventing animal cruelty, harassment, etc.
- Naturewatch foundation offers a beautiful display of its website with fully loaded information and logo designing. Themes matching current year trends are showcased on the site and draws an audience from all over the globe.
- Many animal welfare organizations tie-up with each other to organize events, including animal awareness walks, marathons, sponsored runs, etc.
- Running events for pet animals and their owners to display the benefit of having pets at home.
- Raising funds on world animal day for the better placement of strays and providing shelter to homeless animals is another significant initiative taken.
- Almost all newspapers and magazines cover animal-related news on this day, making it a popular event.
- The adoption of pets forms a vital part of the day’s activities.
- Animal care organizations arrange conferences and seminars to hold talks and discussions on various aspects of animal protection under the law.
- School kids can bring about a variety of programs in their respective educational institutions and raise public awareness.
Man is more or less a very selfish creature who has exploited Earth in no small extent. He has destroyed natural elements, animals, plants, cut down trees, and made many animal species extinct.
He indulges in illegal activities on animals like hunting, poaching, and taking out skin from animals for commercial purposes. Creating awareness about these demoralizing activities and bringing a sense of care and concern towards these innocent creatures is the need of the hour.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When is the World Animal Day?
World Animal Day is celebrated on October 4th every year.
2. Who started World Animal Day?
A group of ecologists in Italy started World animal day to discuss the alarming situation of endangered animal species.
3. When was the first World Animal Day celebrated?
In the year 1931, world-renowned ecologists gathered at Florence at a convention related to animal endangerment. This was the first year of celebration.
4. What is the theme of World Animal Day 2020?
“Man and Dog” is the theme of World Animal Day 2020.
5. How do we celebrate World Animal Day?
We can celebrate World Animal Day in several ways like creating public awareness, volunteering, organizing pet adoption events, seminars, and conferences.
6. Why is Animal Day important?
World animal day is essential to highlight the importance of animals in our lives. It is also necessary to stop cruelty to animals and provide better living conditions for them around the globe.