Haven’t we all dreamt of pursuing multiple career tracks under a single university? Isn’t it an advantage for students to achieve skills and aptitude in multiple subject areas for future professional development? This and more is possible through the Young India Fellowship sponsored by Ashoka University. State of the art, sprawling campus of Ashoka University is located at Haryana and offers graduates a PG Diploma in liberal studies and leadership programs. This course is a multidisciplinary program and was first incepted in the year 2014.
The Young India Fellowship offers the PG diploma course in a myriad range of subjects starting from humanities, sciences- basic or pure/ allied, social sciences etc. The main aim of this residential fellowship is to encourage students to build multidisciplinary skill sets at various levels and be professionally ready to take on the world by storm!
This article provides complete insights into Young India Fellowship with regard to the important dates, eligibility criteria, important rewards and benefits, documentation needed for applying to fellowships, application procedure, selection criteria, important terms and conditions related to this fellowship, the procedure to check results, FAQs and contact details.
Young India Fellowship 2020 – Overview
|Provided by||Ashoka University|
|Fellowship Name||Young India Fellowship|
Young India Fellowship Key Dates
All applicants have to follow the below provided important dates to apply for the Young India Fellowship. Timelines are to be followed in a strict manner. No extension of dates shall be entertained. The dates are given corresponding to the step-by-step procedure of selection of fellows into the program. There are three rounds of selection. Corresponding dates are:
|Events||Key dates for Round -1||Key dates for Round – 2||Key dates for Round -3|
|Formal commencement of application process||Between July – August||Between November – December||Between January – February|
|Deadline to submit online applications||Between November – December||In January||Between March – April|
|Personal interview process||Between October – January||Between December – March||Between March – May|
|Disbursal of offer letters to selected fellows||Between February – March||Between April – May||Between June – July|
Few points to note in this section:
- All candidates who could not apply during the commencement of round 1 need not worry. They can apply at the beginning of round 2.
- Candidates who have been wishfully kept in the waiting list and those who further qualify for the fellowship shall receive the offer letter after completion of round 3 in June-July.
- All dates and timelines mentioned above are tentatively provided.
- They are finally decided at the discretion of the fellowship provider.
Young India Fellowship – Eligibility Criteria
The Young India Fellowship chooses candidates, who are self-driven, motivated to achieve high pursuits in professional arenas and act as elements of social change. Apart from the basic academic credentials, Candidates also need to possess exceptional leadership skills and demonstrate the potential to act as change makers in society. They should be willing to serve society in a multi-functional way. These traits, apart from the ones mentioned below, are the eligibility conditions that candidates need to fulfill:
- The minimum qualification to be a graduate degree in any discipline.
- Candidates who have completed post-graduation are also eligible to apply.
- Candidates should be below 28 years of age.
- Apart from high academic scores, candidates also need to demonstrate good performance in extracurricular activities.
- Good communication skills, apart from written and spoken language skills in English, shall be treated as add on requirements.
How to Apply for the Young India Fellowship?
Every applicant who wishes to apply for the Young India fellowship needs to break out of the normal fellowship grants and benefits criteria. He/she needs to understand the difference that this fellowship offers. This is more of a society oriented offer, helps individuals to connect with society, helps transform lives and build a peaceful, sustainable society in the long run.
Candidates interested should rise above their personal choices and work towards re-building society. The following section explains the five step application procedure followed to completely assess the candidate’s academic as well as extracurricular activity profile. Here are the details:
Step 1: Registration
- Visit the formal website of Ashoka university – www.ashoka.edu.in
- Go to the Young India fellowship section and register yourself by creating a new account.
- Provide basic candidate details in the registration form and hit the submit button.
- Password shall be sent to the e-mail registered for the candidate.
Step 2: Log in Process
- Log into the official portal with registered ID and password details.
- Go to the application form and enter the following details – personal details, contact information, academic details and work experience, extracurricular activities, family details, etc.
- Candidates are requested to write essays in their own language without any hint of plagiarism to provide adequate self-description and discuss their aspirations for the future. The essay shall be a benchmark in helping the applicants work towards achieving the young India fellowship.
- Candidates can also provide references about important contacts in their close circles.
- Attach all requisite documents along with the application.
Step 3: Application submission and waiting period for result declaration
- Submit the application after carefully verifying all details in the application form.
- Shortlisted applicants shall be called in for the next rounds of selection.
Step 4: Written Test and Personal Interview round
- Candidates selected in the initial round of selection will further move on to written tests and personal interview rounds.
Step 5: Selection based on credit scores from all tests.
- The combined score from all tests conducted for the student shall be calculated, and suitable candidates shall be finally shortlisted for the award of the fellowship.
Key Documents Required For Young India Fellowship
The application process required candidates to upload the required documents onto the online portal. The required list is indicative, and candidates may need to furnish more documentation if required, at the time of personal interview. The list is:
- Mark sheets and certificates of graduation
- Mark sheets and certificates of post-graduation [ if applicable]
- Class 10 certificate
- Birth certificate
- Aadhaar Card
- Income and caste certificates [ wherever applicable]
- Extracurricular achievement certificates
- Detailed Resume of the candidate
- Letters from references
Young India Fellowship – Renewal Process
The Young India Fellowship is offered to selected fellows as a one year residential program which is not extendible.
Young India Fellowship – Rewards and Benefits
Fellows who are recipients of the Young India Fellowship enjoy a host of rewards and benefits that are not just measured by financial grants and amounts. The kind of opportunities and exposure that these fellows receive is tremendous. The progress and development of these fellows at the university campus shall see them transforming into young leaders who could lead the change for a better tomorrow. Some of the most promising benefits are:
- Ashoka University, through YIF, has been practising a novel method called the ELM or Experiential learning module. It enhances a candidate’s learning aspects by providing him opportunities to learn multiple subject skills.
- Candidates get to interact with subject area experts and renowned professors from Carlton college, Pennsylvania university, Michigan university, UC Berkeley, Wellesley college etc.
- Combination of theoretical/ subject knowledge with practical experience provides higher problem solving and interpretation skills among candidates. This lends them profession ready to face any challenges they may face while working for society.
- Eminent personalities deliver guest speeches at the university and are a part and parcel program of the fellowship. These public personalities imbibe a sense of inspiration and motivate fellows to achieve big towards their services.
- Apart from spoken and communication skills, written skills are equally important. Writing in a way that translates into a powerful expression of views and ideas is an essential part of the fellowship.
- Mutual discussion of ideas amongst co-fellows, exchange of cultural information, exposure to candidates from diverse and multidisciplinary backgrounds provide some of the best opportunity that a fellow can ever ask for.
- Apart from the above stated benefits that the fellowship has to offer, selected fellows also receive part of the grant amount of entire fellowship grant, making it a much sought after scheme.
- Fellowship provides a need based scholarship to deserving students who come from economically weak backgrounds. The financial amount offered as scholarship ranges between INR 50,000 to INR 9,00,000
Young India Fellowship – Terms and Conditions
Students who are proud fellows of YIF also have to abide by certain terms and conditions, which are given below:
- Applicants should not only be academically bright but prove their mettle in their services rendered towards society through leadership skills.
- Ashoka University is the provider of YIF, and it is offered in collaboration with a number of foreign universities like Pennsylvania School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.
- The minimum academic qualification is graduation.
- All candidates should be less than 28 years of age.
- Candidates are offered wide opportunities to exhibit their full potential and become change makers in the society we live in.
- Only online applications are accepted for YIF.
- All details related to academics, complete CV/ Resume, reference from persons and other documents requested should be furnished as and when required.
Young India Fellowship – Results
Results are announced at three stages in case of YIF. At each stage, the list of shortlisted candidates is prepared by the fellowship selection committee. The three steps where results are declared are explained as below:
- In the first round of application screening – Based on academic credentials and extracurricular participation, candidates are chosen for the next round. The scope of the essay decides the selection of the candidate.
- Telephonic interview – After the first round of selection, candidates shall receive an e-mail about the desirable time for the telephonic interview round. It is usually conducted for a minimum duration of 20 minutes.
- Written test and personal interview round – A comprehension test apart from a personal interview round shall decide the final results and selection of the candidate.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is offering the Young India fellowship?
Ashoka University is offering the Young India Fellowship.
- What is the Young India fellowship all about?
The Young India Fellowship is offered as a one year residential program for students to pursue a PG diploma in liberal arts.
- What is the unique approach [teaching methodology] undertaken by Ashoka university for selected fellows?
ELM or experiential learning module where candidates get exposed to multidisciplinary learning is the new approach adopted by Ashoka University.
- What are some of the subjects offered as part of this fellowship?
Social sciences, humanities, basic sciences, applied sciences; natural sciences are some of the subject areas of study in the YIF.
- What are the basic eligibility criteria to be fulfilled for YIF?
All applicants should be below 28 years of age and graduation is the minimum qualification required.
All applicants aspiring to be Young India fellows can contact Ashoka university at the below mentioned details to find out more on the fellowship offered:
Address: Plot no. 2, Rajiv Gandhi education city, National capital region, Sonepat, Haryana – 131029
Phone: +91- 130- 2300000
E-mail ID: firstname.lastname@example.org